Chris Hornbeck

Default Anna Netrebko on Leno

Could she *possibly* have been actually singing? Or was it a tape?

Hard to believe anybody could actually sing with a TV camera
in the same room, but it was so convincing. Wow. And all those
musicians. Wow; looked so real.

Chris Hornbeck
David Satz

I didn't see the broadcast, but people at her level of competence
really can perform (and indeed seek to perform, and train daily to
perform) in such high-stakes situations.

The ones I've known have trusted themselves more than they trusted the
technical means we could offer them for faking it--and that's just as
it should be, IMO.

--best regards

Charles Krug

On 8 Feb 2005 01:47:18 -0800, David Satz wrote:
I didn't see the broadcast, but people at her level of competence
really can perform (and indeed seek to perform, and train daily to
perform) in such high-stakes situations.

The ones I've known have trusted themselves more than they trusted the
technical means we could offer them for faking it--and that's just as
it should be, IMO.

I think I caught one note of her performance that stated before her
epiglottis was exposed.

Or something.

Chris Hornbeck

On 8 Feb 2005 01:47:18 -0800, "David Satz" wrote:

I didn't see the broadcast, but people at her level of competence
really can perform (and indeed seek to perform, and train daily to
perform) in such high-stakes situations.

The ones I've known have trusted themselves more than they trusted the
technical means we could offer them for faking it--and that's just as
it should be, IMO.

Seemed more humorous last night, I guess. Folks in other threads
amazed that a former Beatle could sing his own songs live, after
only four decades of practice.

I once performed in an opera where I had to open a champagne
bottle on musical cue. *Never* worked in rehearsal, but perfect
in all performances.

Chris Hornbeck
Don Pearce

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:31:37 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

I once performed in an opera where I had to open a champagne
bottle on musical cue. *Never* worked in rehearsal, but perfect
in all performances.

Adrenalin lends superhuman strength...

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Logan Shaw

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
I once performed in an opera where I had to open a champagne
bottle on musical cue. *Never* worked in rehearsal, but perfect
in all performances.

I once performed a song during a Maundy Thursday service at a church
I used to go to. I'm not big into performing at ALL, so I avoided
the situation and didn't start preparing (i.e. learning the song)
until I got off work that afternoon, and the service was at about
7pm. So, in about two hours, I sat down with the CD and transcribed
the song note for note onto staff paper. Then went and performed it
in front of the church with a friend doing the singing. We hadn't
rehearsed together at all, ever. It came off just fine. Even got
a complement from the music minister.

Thing is, I'm NOT that great a pianist and had never before
transcribed a song note for note, and have never since. My ear
has improved somewhat, but back then it was really quite terrible.
I honestly didn't have any idea I could do what I did until I
suddenly found myself doing it.

It's amazing what the threat of public humiliation can make
people capable of. :-)

- Logan
Steven Sullivan

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
On 8 Feb 2005 01:47:18 -0800, "David Satz" wrote:

I didn't see the broadcast, but people at her level of competence
really can perform (and indeed seek to perform, and train daily to
perform) in such high-stakes situations.

The ones I've known have trusted themselves more than they trusted the
technical means we could offer them for faking it--and that's just as
it should be, IMO.

Seemed more humorous last night, I guess. Folks in other threads
amazed that a former Beatle could sing his own songs live, after
only four decades of practice.

Funny world, innit, where someone has to have been *amazed*, simply to wonder
if a Super Bowl halftime show circa 2005 *might* have had some 'help'.

//

Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:33:56 alt.audio.pro.live-sound Thread 164 of 177
Lines 22 McCartney at the Super Bowl RespNo 7 of 9
Bobby Owsinski at Surround Associates

. ..
Sounded great, and to me seemed to be very obviously LIVE.

I agree that the stage was cool, but they definitely weren't playing live.
Paul was singing most, maybe all, of his parts, which you heard. Being a
drummer I look for the odd hits you see but don't hear, or vice-versa, and
there was definitely some of that going on. Also, it was too clean a sound,
IMO, to be live.
---
Splat

Sir Paul pre-recorded his backing tracks last week at Capitol Records
studios in Hollywood.

--
Bobby Owsinski
Surround Associates

//

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...5&postcount=98

namretsam
Member

Location: Santa Rosa, CA

This just in...

Recorded in Capitol's Studio A last month and practiced by the band to video monitors for four days last week. Paul's
vocals were mostly live . Thats it. End of story. Move along. Nothing more to see here....

//

http://www.velvetrope.com/ubbthreads...=5&o=2&fpart=2

knobtwist
Member
Reged: 10/09/03

McCartney at halftime -- did he or didn't he? [ ssully]
02/09/05 04:01 AM

The band was a pre-record, and before you start screaming blasphemy, consider for a moment the logistics such a
performance. It was a great show, Macca and his band kicked ass, and its entirely appropriate to have doen it that way.

Lip syncing and Miming on Leno... Chris Hornbeck Pro Audio 305 March 7th 05 06:36 AM
FS: Nottingham Anna 10" Tonearm Mr Burn Marketplace 0 August 29th 04 12:01 AM
FA: Nottingham Analalogue Anna Tonearm Ole Riis Marketplace 1 March 13th 04 03:57 PM
sugar ray...jay leno xy Pro Audio 12 July 17th 03 01:42 AM
Amy Lee (Evanescence) scheduled for Leno on the 8th John L Rice Pro Audio 2 July 8th 03 07:02 AM