Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

Default Objectivist vs Subjectivist and Listening Tests

"I. Care" wrote in message
.net

There is an interesting discussion which might relate to
one of the threads that was/has been going on here. It
is on rec.audio.high-end and titled "The long term
listening myth"

It's only interesting to people who don't already know the punch line.

Long term listening is a great way to find musical passages and
circumstances where there is audible distortion. In some sense, its the only
way.

But long term listening is a very poor methodolgy if you goal is the most
sensitive possible results.

The orgional ABX Comparator had a standard battery backup feature that
supported long term listening tests. 4 AA cells on the back panel would
maintain the storage of unknowns and test results for days, even when there
was an interruption of power. Frankly, it was one of the least important
features of the product and was almost never used.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Still hawking your silly stupid ABX crap, I see. What a joke. ABX is to
audio, as pineapples are to cleanroom microchip production. In other
words, your ABX myth is about as relevant as your presence in the audio
community, Krueger Klown. And your entire failed life, I'm sorry to
say.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still hawking your silly stupid ABX crap, I see. What a joke. ABX is to
audio, as pineapples are to cleanroom microchip production. In other
words, your ABX myth is about as relevant as your presence in the audio
community, Krueger Klown. And your entire failed life, I'm sorry to
say.

They sure do a lousy job of teaching science in schools anymore.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Karl Uppiano wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still hawking your silly stupid ABX crap, I see. What a joke. ABX is to
audio, as pineapples are to cleanroom microchip production. In other
words, your ABX myth is about as relevant as your presence in the audio
community, Krueger Klown. And your entire failed life, I'm sorry to
say.

They sure do a lousy job of teaching science in schools anymore.

http://solomonsmusic.net/postmod.htm

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

wrote in message

They sure do a lousy job of teaching science in schools anymore.

http://solomonsmusic.net/postmod.htm

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Subjectivist audio is a
manifestation of postmodernism, the notion that nothing is objectively known
and that whenever you say anything is better than anything else, you are
expressing no more than a personal taste. (BTW, is there such a thing as
"feminist audio" yet?)

If postmodernism wins, it will be the end of science - a new Dark Age.

In a recent book Michael Novak points out that business (in a market
economy) is a potent defense against postmodernism because you can't be a
postmodernist entrepreneur. Things either sell or don't, and playing
mind-tricks on yourself won't change that.

That does not keep businesses from marketing things *to* the postmodernists,
who might be unusually easy to manipulate!

P.S. I think there's *some* good in postmodernism. It's an overreaction to
some of the excesses of rationalist "scientism" in the mid-20th-century and
earlier (e.g., antimentalist psychology). But it's an *over*reaction.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

mc wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I do believe there is feminist audio/artists, audience size varies by
venue :-)
Not being an economist, I would think that a postmodernist entrepreneur
would fail regardless of the economy.
In contrast though, look at what some will pay for "Art"
Is postmodern defined as the fall of civilization or a Utopian society?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

mc wrote:
wrote

They sure do a lousy job of teaching science in schools anymore.

http://solomonsmusic.net/postmod.htm

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Subjectivist audio is a
manifestation of postmodernism, the notion that nothing is objectively known
and that whenever you say anything is better than anything else, you are
expressing no more than a personal taste. (BTW, is there such a thing as
"feminist audio" yet?)

I disagree completely. The subjectivist approach to audio is mostly a
throwback to pre-rationalist, pre-scientific superstitious behavior,
coupled with some clever PT Barnum style marketing. It has little or
nothing to do with postmodernism, beyond the propensity to use
impenetrable jargon as a smoke screen to mask the fact that there's no
"there" there.

Moreover, postmodernism is a fad confined mostly to obscure academic
corners in universities; it has not infected the primary and secondary
school systems to my knowlege.

I do agree that the schools are failing to do a good job of teaching
science, but the reason is more plain old ignorance and superstition,
not a fancy erudite academic ofuscatory fad.

BTW, the classic rationalist take on postmodernism is he
http://www2.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/decon.html
You might enjoy it.

And, of course, this is a lot of fun:
http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech

mc a écrit :

wrote in message

I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

Judging by your ignorant dumbass response, I'd say he missed by a few
inches.

Subjectivist audio is a
manifestation of postmodernism, the notion that nothing is objectively known
and that whenever you say anything is better than anything else

Blah blah blah... prove it already, or shut your dumb yap.

, you are
expressing no more than a personal taste. (BTW, is there such a thing as
"feminist audio" yet?)

There is such a thing as a misogynist and a chauvinist. You're both.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano

wrote in message
Karl Uppiano wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still hawking your silly stupid ABX crap, I see. What a joke. ABX is to
audio, as pineapples are to cleanroom microchip production. In other
words, your ABX myth is about as relevant as your presence in the audio
community, Krueger Klown. And your entire failed life, I'm sorry to
say.

They sure do a lousy job of teaching science in schools anymore.

http://solomonsmusic.net/postmod.htm

That is just scary. In that paradigm, "evil" is just another point of view.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Stewart Pinkerton a écrit :

On 16 Feb 2006 18:41:34 -0800, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton puked out :

On 13 Feb 2006 20:58:02 -0800,
wrote:

Still hawking your silly stupid ABX crap, I see. What a joke. ABX is to
audio, as pineapples are to cleanroom microchip production. In other
words, your ABX myth is about as relevant as your presence in the audio
community, Krueger Klown. And your entire failed life, I'm sorry to
say.

Actually, it's not *his* ABX, it's what the entire audio industry
uses, because it works.

If by the "entire audio industry" you mean your fat faggot friend
KKKrueger's PC audio site, then you're right. If you're implying
anything else, then you're the stupid drunk ****head everyone knows you
to be.

Try telling that to Sean Olive, you moron.

Hey hey now. No need for insults, you drunken bitch. You mean Sean
Olive, the ****ing ignorant pig from Harman Intl? Don't make me LAUGH,
you stupid limey ****wad! To begin with, he's a KKKrueger Klone, who
actively promotes KKKrueger's ABX agenda on the usenet audio
newsgroups. That already kills his credibility right there. Secondly,
Harman Kardon is a MID-FI audio company that produces PURE **** these
days; ie. home theatre junk. So in fact, you just gave people a
brilliant reason NOT to buy to your ABX propaganda, NOT to base
anything on the ABX myth. Name just FIVE true high end companies (which
means audio that has a chance of sounding GOOD), that use ABX tests in
their R&D phase. How about you start with the components in YOUR
system, you lying ****? Did your KRELL amp or electrostats rely on ABX
tests? Did you buy your high end gear after taking ABX tests, or you
just think everyone else should, you ****ing drunk hypocrite?

Let's see how fast it takes you to wriggle out of the questions I just
asked....

Objectivist vs Subjectivist and Listening Tests [email protected] Tech 0 February 13th 06 03:01 AM
Olive and Toole Audio Opinions 21 February 2nd 06 01:24 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
dB vs. Apparent Loudness Ted Spencer Pro Audio 204 August 17th 04 05:10 AM
Subjectivist and Objectivist -- Are these misnomers? Ban High End Audio 0 May 27th 04 01:10 AM