BOB URZ

Default Aiwa Volume control

I had a aiwa cx-na888 come in with a strange volume control
problem. It wants to go to max volume and stay there no matter
which way the shaft is turned. I don't have the manual yet.
Its a rotary encoder, not a liner audio pot. Both sides of the encoder
seem to look the same when turning the control while looking at them
on the scope. Anyone seen this before and have any insight?
I soldered up a few suspicious connections, but no change.

Bob

Dave Platt

I had a aiwa cx-na888 come in with a strange volume control
problem. It wants to go to max volume and stay there no matter
which way the shaft is turned. I don't have the manual yet.
Its a rotary encoder, not a liner audio pot. Both sides of the encoder
seem to look the same when turning the control while looking at them
on the scope. Anyone seen this before and have any insight?
I soldered up a few suspicious connections, but no change.

I'd guess that the circuit probably runs the quadrature outputs of the
encoder through a circuit to generate either of the following two
sorts of signals:

- separate UP and DOWN pulses, or
- a DIRECTION signal and a CLOCK pulse

and then feeds these into some sort of solid-state potentiometer.

I'd guess that either the quadrature-to-pulse translator is frotzed,
or the solid-state potentiometer chip is bad, or there's a bad trace
between them. The translator might be a separate chip, or might be a
software function implemented in the main microcontroller.

Take a look for a Dallas Semiconductor, Maxim, or Crystal
Semiconductor chip (these are, I think, the commonest solid-state
digital potentiometers) and check out what it expects to see at its
inputs. Work back from there towards the encoder.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Vector Viper

"BOB URZ" wrote in message
I had a aiwa cx-na888 come in with a strange volume control
problem. It wants to go to max volume and stay there no matter
which way the shaft is turned. I don't have the manual yet.
Its a rotary encoder, not a liner audio pot. Both sides of the encoder
seem to look the same when turning the control while looking at them
on the scope. Anyone seen this before and have any insight?
I soldered up a few suspicious connections, but no change.

I have seen this twice. It was the control itself both times.
taking it apart and cleaning it will probably fix it, or just get a new one.
You may find turning the knob VERY slowly CCW will reduce the volume;
both I saw acted that way...I think AIWA used too much goo in the
controls...

Viper

Bob

Sofie

Bob Urz / Vector Viper:
Yes.... agreed.
Remove the control, disassemble carefully..... clean out most of the goo and
spring out the contact brushes to achieve more tension......... reassemble
and reinstall.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Vector Viper" wrote in message

"BOB URZ" wrote in message

I had a aiwa cx-na888 come in with a strange volume control
problem. It wants to go to max volume and stay there no matter
which way the shaft is turned. I don't have the manual yet.
Its a rotary encoder, not a liner audio pot. Both sides of the encoder
seem to look the same when turning the control while looking at them
on the scope. Anyone seen this before and have any insight?
I soldered up a few suspicious connections, but no change.

I have seen this twice. It was the control itself both times.
taking it apart and cleaning it will probably fix it, or just get a new

one.
You may find turning the knob VERY slowly CCW will reduce the volume;
both I saw acted that way...I think AIWA used too much goo in the
controls...

Viper

BOB URZ

"BOB URZ" wrote in message

I had a aiwa cx-na888 come in with a strange volume control
problem. It wants to go to max volume and stay there no matter
which way the shaft is turned. I don't have the manual yet.
Its a rotary encoder, not a liner audio pot. Both sides of the encoder
seem to look the same when turning the control while looking at them
on the scope. Anyone seen this before and have any insight?
I soldered up a few suspicious connections, but no change.

I have seen this twice. It was the control itself both times.
taking it apart and cleaning it will probably fix it, or just get a new

one.
You may find turning the knob VERY slowly CCW will reduce the volume;
both I saw acted that way...I think AIWA used too much goo in the
controls...

Viper

I used to get Aiwa though Andrews. It seems lately, they are not answering
my faxes for some reason.

This is a optical type control with a led or such with a photo interrupter,
correct? What's the goo inside doing, blocking one of the Photo
interrupters?

Bob

Sofie

Bob Urz:
No.... it is not optical..... it has springy contacts inside that rub
against a rotating disc that generates pulses as you turn the control.......
the thick goo that seems to get thicker with age may impede the proper
contact. Clean out some of the goo (not all of it) and spring out the
contacts to create a firmer tension against the disc.... or order a new
control .... and plan to replace it in a few years.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"BOB URZ" wrote in message

This is a optical type control with a led or such with a photo

interrupter,
correct? What's the goo inside doing, blocking one of the Photo
interrupters?

Bob

Shrivel

I had this problem with my pre-amp once. As soon as I turned it on, the
volume would ramp all the way to the top - scared the beejezus outta me!

Once I picked the book up off the remote control on the coffee table, the
problem went away ;-)