Santos L Halper

Default Audio Research for ProAcs?

Howdy-
I've heard that Audio Research tube amps pair well with ProAc
speakers. I have a pair of Response 2.5 and I'm thinking about
picking up some secondhand AR amps to drive them. I'm not
looking to spend a whole boatload of money, and was mainly
considering the less expensive or older AR products. One
combination that would be in my price range would be the
LS-7 and VT-60 - anyone heard this combo with ProAcs?
Opinions on other AR combos or similar competing products
very welcome.

thanks for your time,
Santos

Alton B. Wilson

Santos,

I have heard the Proac 2.5's several times with an AR set up; VT 100 (MK II)
amp + LS7 preamp at Progressive Audio (Columbus, Ohio). Their website which
shows the listening room follows (
http://www.progressiveaudio.com/show...mframeset.html ). Go to
the "Third Floor" layout and move the mouse over the rooms until you find
the "Proac Room". They were using MIT cables, and all of the music was
played through a Rega Planet or Adcom 750 CD player. It was all small group
acoustic jazz (e.g., Miles' Kind of Blue, John Coltrane)

I thought the speakers were very good, but I still would like to hear them
with a conrad-johnson amp. I prefer the sound of conrad-johnson to Audio
Research, assuming that we could agree that there is a kind of "house sound"
of AR amps vs. cj amps. I have owned a small (50 watt ) cj amp for a number
of years, and have heard some of their larger amps. I think 50 - 100 watts
in a small tube amp would work well with the Response 2.5 speakers in a
small to mid size room. My room is 14 X 16 X 9, the Progressive Audio room
is a bit larger, probably 15 or 16 X 19 X 9. About the only thing I did not
like about the Response 2.5 is that the back side of the cabinet is not
finished in veneer. I think the Vienna Acoustic cabinets are much better.
I heard the Vienna Acoustic Beethoven's (similar in used price to the 2.5's,
I think) with a conrad-johnson Premier 11 and the sound was good. I
slightly preferred the sound of the Proac's, but it is hard to say since you
are also comparing the cj amp to the Audio Research VT 100. One speaker
that I would like to hear is one of the Coincident's (Victory or Eclipse
line). They should sound very good with a 50 - 100 watt tube amp.

"Santos L Halper" wrote in message
Howdy-
I've heard that Audio Research tube amps pair well with ProAc
speakers. I have a pair of Response 2.5 and I'm thinking about
picking up some secondhand AR amps to drive them. I'm not
looking to spend a whole boatload of money, and was mainly
considering the less expensive or older AR products. One
combination that would be in my price range would be the
LS-7 and VT-60 - anyone heard this combo with ProAcs?
Opinions on other AR combos or similar competing products
very welcome.

thanks for your time,
Santos

Eza Gadson

For sound that can crush new super high $$$ equipment but won't crush
your bank account, try a VT130SE with Svet KT-88s and an LS-5 MK II or
(even better) MK III. This combo will give you 90%ish of SOTA reference
quality for under $6000.