Bob Jones

Default Unable to record streaming audio

My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
recording program to work.

Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
any sense.

Any suggestions?
Ethan Winer

Bob,

It's been years since I owned an AWE model card, so I'm not sure of its
capabilities. You need to find the place in the Windows or AWE mixer program
that lets you select the Record Source. Try Wave output or WhatUHear. As I
recall you should be able to do what you want.

--Ethan

Arny Krueger

"Bob Jones" wrote in message
om
My SB AWE64 plays audio just fine, but I can't get any streaming audio
recording program to work.

Replay Radio runs a test, I hear the audio, and then the program says
I have no device capable of recording streaming audio. It doesn't make
any sense.

Try Total Recorder

http://www.highcriteria.com/

Bob Jones

Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
"what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
streaming audio.

That would be great, except no "what you hear" option appears under
sound cards in Control Panel. SoundBlaster does not provide XP
drivers, so the AWE 64 uses built-in XP support.

Codifus

Bob Jones wrote:
Since you have a soundblaster card, you should be able to enable the
"what you hear" option in the control panel. Once you've done that,
any audio recording application on your PC will be able to record
streaming audio.

That would be great, except no "what you hear" option appears under
sound cards in Control Panel. SoundBlaster does not provide XP
drivers, so the AWE 64 uses built-in XP support.

Well, if they have a Win2000 driver, that should work. WinXP and 2000
aren't dramatically different OSes. EVen NT 4.0 drivers might work, but
admittedly, that's a bit of a stretch.

CD
Bob Masta

On 20 Aug 2004 23:55:14 -0700, (Bob Jones)
wrote:

(Applian) wrote in message om...
Replay Radio 5.1 has a new Enhanced Sound Card Driver option, which
lets you record using almost any sound card.

Thanks. Tried it, and it didn't work.

The SB AWE64 Value is supposed to be capable of full-duplex, as long
as you don't try to compress the audio. I've tried several programs,
including the much-recommended Total Recorder, without any success.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems with this card?

If you have the ISA-bus AWE64, please note that its full-duplex
operation requires one direction to be 8-bits and one to be 16-bits.
This is due to the dedicated use of high and low DMA channels
for transfers. As far as I know, the only ISA-bus Sound Blaster
cards that can do full-duplex with 16-bits in both directions are
the ViBRA 16X series CT4170, 4171, etc. These use the
decidedly-strange approach of using two 8-bit DMA channels
and doing double transfers to get 16-bit operation. It's a
special mode just for this series; other models don't allow it.

However, I think there are also PCI cards that reused the
AWE64 name. I don't know if they have the the same
limitations as the ISA-bus models. Creative Labs has
always been a little over-the-top with model names and
features, so you can never infer too much from the names.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Bob Jones

However, I think there are also PCI cards that reused the
AWE64 name.

Mine is the AWE64 Value PCI card. Remember, SB no longer provides
updated drivers or software for this card, so no mixer or control
panel or anything of that kind is available. It either works with the
XP drivers or it doesn't.

It seems to me that it's time to try a different card.