Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default The Drought

Or is it a sinkhole? Black Hole? Everyone out looking for the missing
airplane?

Am I to understand that no one has posted to RAHE since February? What is
going on? Where is Audio Empire? Does this mean that we all know everything
about audio now?

Write in and tell us what you are doing, audio wise. I am building a new
pair of Image Model Projectors. They will probably change the course of
audio history. There will be Before the IMP, and After the IMP. BI and AI.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:04:34 AM UTC-7, news wrote:
Or is it a sinkhole? Black Hole? Everyone out looking for the missing=20
=20
airplane?
=20
=20
=20
Am I to understand that no one has posted to RAHE since February? What is=

=20
=20
going on? Where is Audio Empire? Does this mean that we all know everythi=

ng=20
=20
about audio now?

It means RAHE is almost dead. I'm pretty sure everyone thought they knew ev=
erything about audio since the 60s.

=20
=20
=20
Write in and tell us what you are doing, audio wise. I am building a new=

=20
=20
pair of Image Model Projectors. They will probably change the course of=

=20
=20
audio history. There will be Before the IMP, and After the IMP. BI and AI=

..
=20

Busy working on the acoustic treatment for my new stereo room. Probably won=
't change the course of audio history. Although I do have some questions/id=
eas about bass traps. And I did learn something. Owens Corning 703 is a PIA=
to get. You'd think Owens Corning would actually be interested in selling =
a product they make.=20

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:09:51 AM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:04:34 AM UTC-7, news wrote:

Busy working on the acoustic treatment for my new stereo room. Probably won't

change the course of audio history. Although I do have some questions/ideas

about bass traps. And I did learn something. Owens Corning 703 is a PIA to get.

You'd think Owens Corning would actually be interested in selling a product they

make.

=======================================

Here's a good absorption reference that might provide you some alternatives.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Thanks Scott!. Very helpful info.

Shipping costs for specialty insulation is prohibitive.

It's definitively expensive. But I got tired of going nowhere with Owens Corning, bit the bullet and had the 703 shipped to me.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

OK there are too many Scotts around here. There is Scott, ScottW and Scott
Dorsey. Are you all different individuals, or better, could you please print
your full names?

And what is all this absorption for?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 10:13:30 AM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message=20
=20
=20
On Friday, April 4, 2014 10:18:12 AM UTC-7, news wrote:

=20

=20

=20

=20
And what is all this absorption for?

=20

=20

=20

=20
Gary Eickmeier

=20

=20
Room reflections.

=20
=20
=20
I'd be interested to know if you employed the services of an acoustic eng=

ineer
=20
or design service.
=20
I see lots of home studio information and services but I've always been i=

nclined=20
=20
to believe
=20
a great recording environment may not be the greatest listening environme=

nt.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Scott wrote:

OK there are too many Scotts around here. There is Scott, ScottW and
Scott

Dorsey. Are you all different individuals, or better, could you please
print

your full names?

And what is all this absorption for?

Gary Eickmeier

Room reflections.

May we call you Room for short?

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:07:28 PM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message=20
=20
=20
"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Are you talking about the space where the music is happening or the spac=

e where=20
=20
the monitoring is happening?

=20
=20
=20
All the above, the space where the instrument is played and recorded, the=

space=20
=20
where the recording is tweaked and mixed (monitoring environment) and the=

space=20
=20
where we sit and relax.
=20
=20
=20
Acoustic spaces that are great for listening to live unamplified music a=

re=20
=20
generally good for recording live unamplified music.

=20
=20
=20
But are they good for playback?

No. They are terrible for playback.

Often much larger than a typical listening room=20
=20
and a typical system gets engulfed like in open field playback. Even so,=

they=20
=20
are usually overdamped to tame the dynamics of live instruments that a ty=

pical=20
=20
system cannot reproduce and wouldn't provide any pop in.

In a concert hall you would simply have way too much reverb. It would sound=
like crap.
=20
=20
=20
For playback I am of the opinion that you want very little if any listen=

ing=20
=20
room sound.

=20
=20
=20
FWIW, I've worked in RF anechoic chambers (which were also highly effecti=

ve=20
=20
acoustic anechoic chambers) and I put in a small system to listen to whil=

e=20
=20
setting up but the sound was distant, dead, and lifeless. Unless you're=

going=20
=20
to sit in extreme near field, a completely dead room is far from ideal.

I can't speak for a "completely" dead room but IME the less listening room =
sound the better. There may very well be a threshold where this ceases to b=
e true. I haven't found it yet. And I do listen in a nearfield setup.=20
=20
=20
=20
Live unamplified simple recordings in a nice environment are great. But =

few=20
=20
studios are setup for that. They're acoustically dead with isolation bet=

ween=20
=20
instruments, close mic'd with ambience added later etc. Acoustic engine=

ering=20

And unfortunately many studio recordings don't really sound all that great.=
But there are plenty of studio recordings with spaces that have decent rev=
erb and a lot of control over just how much.=20

=20
for large halls is obviously done, but very little on the web for a relat=

ively=20
=20
small room listening environment.
=20
It's kind of trial and error.

Yes there is a fair amount of trial and error in room acoustics. Especially=
for hobbyists like us. For the design of concert halls there is a lot less=
trial and error. A great deal of the design is done with computer modellin=
g. Studies have come up with a series of measurements of concert halls that=
pretty well determine the quality of the acoustics. That is why we have so=
many new halls that are acoustically superior to the old guard.=20

But something very important to note is the profound difference between ide=
al concert hall acoustics and listening room acoustics. The goals of each a=
re extremely different.=20
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
George Graves George Graves is offline

In article , news
wrote:

Or is it a sinkhole? Black Hole? Everyone out looking for the missing
airplane?

Am I to understand that no one has posted to RAHE since February? What is
going on? Where is Audio Empire? Does this mean that we all know everything
about audio now?

Write in and tell us what you are doing, audio wise. I am building a new
pair of Image Model Projectors. They will probably change the course of
audio history. There will be Before the IMP, and After the IMP. BI and AI.

Gary Eickmeier

Hi Gary. I'm back. I had a problem in that for some reason that neither
Google Groups nor I could figure out, Google wouldn't let me post
anything any longer and I could not find a Mac newsreader that would
work under OSX v.10.9. I have just found the latest version of Thoth,
and it seems to work fine. So expect me to pollute this NG once again.
It's nice to be missed! 8^)

Audio_Empire

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

"George Graves" wrote in message
In article , news
wrote:

[...]

Well hi George. My tongue in cheek reference above it true though. A DIY
fellow who is amazingly capable in speaker building has volunteered to build
my ideal speaker and it should be done in May. He will enter it in the
InDIYana event in Ft Wayne on May 30 and 31, and then in the Midwest Audio
Fest in Springfield, OH on July 11 and 12. I will not be able to be at the
Indiana event because we have our biggest video shoot of the year on the
31st. Not sure about the July one yet. Then I can take the speakers home and
play with them.

I have also been doing more recording, and have been fairly successful and
learned a lot. Write to me on Email if you still have it - I can put my
Email at the bottom if not. You getting any recording gigs?

Gary Eickmeier
863-670-0850