Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default WAY, WAY off the topic question regarding turntables.....

I know, this is totally the wrong forum, but as I know so many of you and
how helpful most all of you are, I thought, "What the heck?" before I post
the same question on home audio and audiophile sites, give my old stomping
grounds a try. So here goes....

I have an old Technics SL-B2 turntable that is in perfect shape and works
perfectly as well. I have had it for many, many years. However, it has
been relagated to a box that is kept in my attic or garage for the last 25
years. I still have my record collection going back to 1978 when I
purchased my first LP, and I accumulated records at a pretty good clip
(perhaps 2 a week) until, I would say, 1988, when EVERYTHING was switched to
CD's. Even the EP's that were the last hold-out of recordings not found on
CD, but only on vinyl, really disappeared by 1992. By '91-'93, except for
an extremelly small niche market of audiophiles (who to THIS DAY will claim
that LP's still sound better than CD's given very HIGH quality recordings,
EXPERT mastering techniques, and EXCEPTIONAL equipment used in playback).
Besides Audiophiles, DJ's continue to this day to use vinyl in clubs as
mxing one song to the next is MUCH easier than with CD's (though advances in
DJ oriented CD mixing gear with controls like BPM synchrnozation has leveled
the playing field). However, besides those two groups, NOBODY BUYS vinyl
anymore.

Anyway, I have about 400-500 LP's I was flipping through the other day and
felt nostalgic and wanted to hear some of this old stuff. However, my
turntable is just missing a headshell and cartride (stylus too, of course).
I gave it to someone (the headshell and cartride) about 10 years ago as I
thought I would NEVER want to use the turntable again, I nearly threw it out
(well, I was going to give it to the Salvation Army, same diff.)!!!!!

I have already ordered the headshell and it should be here tommorrow or the
next day.

My question is about what would give me the best bang for my buck in terms
of cartridges (with stylus, of course). I definately want to buy new as you
NEVER know how many hours a used needle may have seen. I am NOT an
audiophile NUT when it comes to my home gear (OK, a little bit) and my
turntable is certainly not one you would consider "high-end". But it's
built like a tank (surprisingly heavy) and after literally decades of
collecting dust it fired right up, by using the strobe adjustment I dialed
in the PERFECT 33 1/3 and it never wavered (wow and flutter) at all.

I have no doubt it's as good (SQ wise) as any other Technics turntable (I
know, I know, DJ's all prefer the 1200 series with direct drive, mine's belt
driven, as the 1200's can go from 0-60 MPH in like .02 seconds or some damn
thing like that). But again, sound quality wise, they all SOUND the same
(given the same cartride) and it becomes more a factor of, again, your
cartridege and stylus selection as Technics does not employ more esoteric
turntable construction (like thick glass platters, drive-motors COMPLETELY
seperated from the spinning table itself, only joined by the belt in an
attempt to COMPLETELY erradicate any motor noise that might creep in, and
EVEN MORE essoteric and complicated means of isolating ANY vibrations in the
environment or the surface the turntable is placed upon. These esoteric
turntables might empoly (to name only a few) double decker affairs where the
first part of the table is simply a vibrations absorber; different materials
employed in constructing some tables such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, REAL
glass, and so on and so on......).

Anyway, back to my original question. Do any of you out there have a
favorite cartridge maker and if so why? I don't want to spend a ridiculous
amount of money, I just want my records to sound decent as I transpose them
to MP3. I used to buy only Audio Technica cartridges as a kid as I thought
they made a very good product at a reasonable price. Is that still the
case? Are there others to consider? Like I said, I am DEINATELY looking
for a NEW cartridge and stylus, but I am not going to spend $500 on a Grado
flagship model. It MUST be under $100, preferably under $50. Like I said,
I am not all that picky about my sound inside the house (I'm pickier in the
car!).

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin[_2_] John Durbin[_2_] is offline

Hard to go wrong with the Shure M97xE, great little cartridge for what
it costs and a good match for mid to heavy tonearms. I've always liked
Shure carts though; I use the V15 type V in its various forms on most of
my TT's.

JD

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Yeah, that looks perfect. I can get one new on Ebay for $59.56 with
hardware and even a small screwdriver. I like the way it has a stylus
guard. I wanted one that had that.

Thanks again,

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

I would imagine you could tell with a microscope. Not a bad
idea looking at anything you buy, new or used. My first thought
for a new one is Audio Technica. Seems my last and best cartridge
was of that company. It was also a moving coil, but
a high output one.

Lets get back in time. My first turntable, aside from that
kiddie box, was a Gerrard AT-60. I still remember the model!
Cartridge was I think an Empire 880P, billed as the worlds
finest cartridge. Was was too compliant for the Gerrard.
Next was an AR turntable with a Pickering cartridge.
I never really like the Pikering but I went through a couple models.
Oh that one with the brush! Then was a ADC or BSR direct
drive and a Shure Type III. Of the turntable made out
of composite was horrible as it picked up LF room sounds and
FEEDBACK !! Then off to a Sony which was a lot better, but
I didn't have luck much luck with direct drives and feedback.
I then aquired a Dual model with that Audio Technica cartridge.
I bought it used from a doctor. I then bought a used Thorens
and used the Shure on it. Later someone gave me an SME
arm but never installed it. All I have left is
the Dual and AT cartridge installed, with the bad speed control belt.
Got the old AR along with a Pioneer of my brothers. I'm never going to
fool with the AR and the probably not the Pioneer. I want
to see if I can work the Dual, maybe sometime. I have records,
not too many.

I was always too cheap to buy many records or CD's.
Last record I bought was Appetite for Destruction. One
of the first records I bought, other than those kidde records,
was from Blue Cheer. I also used to get those sound effect
records and like to make like a train going through
the basement.

My favorite bands who also influenced me the most early on,
Led Zepplin, Santana, Iron Butterfly,Neil Young, Doors, Jimi H, Chamber Brothers,
Sly Stone, and I forget the rest of my personal top 10.
I was always more into music than songs.

Wow I just listened to Love peace & Happiness and Time has come
today on You Tube.

One song that I have turn turn up to the max and start to dance.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dslP59PrSVY

I always liked influencing others with my music by playing it loud.
Of course, everybody likes my music !! Seems like I was
always the one with the sound system for parties, etc.

I always like making speakers, even though early on I didn't
know much. My first home speakers I made out of 12 inch Utah
drivers and gold colored horns bought at Olsen's.
In the military I used my Allied receiver driving home made
garbage can speakers in back of the clothing cabinets,
in the barracks. Basically a stealth system. They cranked
pretty good.

Car audio, my HU broke in the truck about 3 years ago and I
have nothing right now. I had to fix it once before after buying
a $55 maintenence manual for the $450 Pioneer. I need
to remove that system. Maybe I'll try to fix it one day.
I got a stock Cavalier system.

I'm starting to feel old. I turned 60.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I recieved
obviously secondhand from an uncle. It had an Audio Technica Cartridge but
no stylus so I bought one and was immediately impressed at the sound
quality. Now keep in mind, this is about 8 years before Cd's made their
introduction. Now I had a pretty decent tape teck in a Technics single well
with Dolby B,C, Metal,Cro2, and normal bias controls, as well as the
short-lived DBX capability that actually worked quite well (this was also
the days prior to every moderate priced cassette deck being a dual well). I
also had an Akai reel-to-reel. But I will NEVER forget the first time I
heard a good LP on that BIC with the new Technics Stylus, It absolutely took
my breath away. I didn't know my stereo could sound so good. I used the
BIC for about 4-5 years and then upgraded to the turntable I actually still
own today, the the Technics SL-B. Frankly, although the BIC did a more than
adequate job and I really noticed no sonic differences (the BIC was a
high-end model and sold for $200 back in 1973) between the two, the much
older BIC just plain LOOKED OLD FASHION. I mean it was that black plastic
everything was made of back in the early 70's. It also did not have the
strobe dots on the platter, or of course the strobe light and adjustable
pitch that I always just thought looked SO FRIKKIN' COOL and high-tech (give
me a break, I'm only 13 then). I simply wanted a turntable that LOOKED as
modern as the rest of my system (every other component was brushed
aluminum), so I saved my pennies and bought the new SL-B2 with Audio
Technica cardridge included. What I DID notice was how much more solid the
technics felt. Like I said before, EVEN 30 years later it is still built
like a TANK, not ONE SINGLE loose part. A real testament to how well
Technics turntables are built because this one went to college with me and
survived COUNTLESS moves as a young man.

Yet today, you would swear it's new except for a scratch or two on the
dustcover. It actually was the admiration of it's construction that had a
lot to do (as well as wanting to hear some of my old vinyl) with this
project. I was really surprised that after a dozen+ moves and so on, it
seemed to be in as good a shape as when it was purchased.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really, but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
It was something you can do in the Army barracks
without much of anything.

greg

I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like myself
as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

Weren't we all soooo very creative when we had to be (nessesicity being the
mother of invention)? I mean, there were few components I actually bought
myself (I think the Technics turntable was the only one). My reciever I got
for my 11th birthday from my grandparents, my grandfather being a bit of an
audiophile himself. The reel-to-reel had been my Dad's and was, without a
doubt, the oldest component in my system (probably circa 1965), but the
great thing about open-reel is that they really had perfected that
technology a long time ago (I mean, this was how records were recorded).
You didn't need dolby as there was not any excessive hiss hoise, the trick,
however, was to use the fastest speed for optimum performance (it had 3, I
believe, different speed settings, the fastest being the best obviously) and
two nice big VU meters. Although it was technically a 4 track recorder as
you had access to four tracks, you could not record anything on ALL four
tracks at once, just two (it wasn't a proffesional model, BUT a high-end
consumer model). You switched between tracks 1&3, and then 2&4 on the
control panel. But like I said, despite it's age, I never found a cassette
deck (even much later into the 90's) that could equall the recording
quality. My first set of speakers were REALLY pathetic. There was only a
single driver, a 6" midrange with a whizzer cone around the dustcover for
high-frequency enhancement. We all know how well THOSE work. But over
the years as
I got older and got my first part-time job, I started buying new pieces or
upgrading existing ones. I remember when I finally had enough money saved
to buy a new set of speakers. This was 1981, I believe, and like any kid I
was much more interested in the size of the woofer than the fact that these
were a "no-name" brand. There was this stereo store going out of business
and having a big "out of business sale" in Everett, close to where I lived,
so I talked my Mom into taking me there (was still a year away from having a
liscense) and got a pair of speakers (for the life of me, I honestly cannot
remember the brand, nor would anyone recognize it if I could). They were
HEAVEN comapred to my single driver speaker I was forced to make due with
for 5 some-odd years. They each had a 12" woofer, 5" midrange, and 1"
tweeter and I bought the pair new for $80. Now they weren't all that good
compared to speakers now, of course. But man, they were heaven to me. The
sonic inprovments were dramatic.

And then we move on to the "borrowing" of that Ampeg bass-guitar amplifier
that I used as a subwoofer. FINALLY, I had what I considered serious
fire-power.

I actually continued to use those single driver speakers as I placed them in
the other corners of my bedroom to create a quasi-surround sound system.
THANK GOD my Pioneer reciever could take the parelling of the two, so it now
saw 4 ohms per channel. I had NO IDEA that what I was doing could be
potentially harmful to my reciever, NO CLUE AT ALL. But I did notice a
roomful of sound. Oh, you know, I do remember that the Pioneer suddenly ran
much warmer than before. But it never quite on me, ever. I eventually gave
it to a friend when I upgraded to a better reciever much, much later (after
college).

Anyway, just some more remenicing.....

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
It was something you can do in the Army barracks
without much of anything.

greg

I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like myself
as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

My first stereo had tha AT60 changer and I built a Knight-Kit transistor amp.
I bought 2- 12 inch Utah drivers and 2 Olsen horns. I think my dad helped build
a small cabinet. This was in about 8th or 9th grade. Later I built
a Eico FM tuner. I had built tons of kits also being into ham radio.

In the 70's after I got a job in Barstow, I was buying more expensive equipment.
I picked up a large reel Teac. That was a nightmare. I didn't use it much because
it would chew the tapes. I finally figured it needed new tape heads. I actually
started to lap the heads. It was getting better, then went downhill. New
heads fixed the recorder. I could not figure how it was bad from the dealer,
but I waited too long after I paid $500 in 1975 money. Finally got 2 SWTP 200
watt amp kits to drive my Bose speakers. Before that I built one from scratch
that was only 100 watts. In the early 80's I got into major speaker building,
and I got much influence from Speaker Builder mag. I built dozens of
different speakers. My parents basement in Pittsburgh was filled with boxes.
I was selling some to DJ's and other folks. I really liked the
way my cheap set of Altec Voice of the Theater look alikes made
rock sound live. It was all the plywood.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

That's great. I never was industrious enough to build anything other than
simple kits Radio Shack sold like I remember building an AM radio and an AM
broadcaster, but the range was pathetic so it wasn't like I could start my
own radio station. I also owned several of those 100+ projects kits that
Radio Shack sold. You could make all sorts of useless things like tone
generators and solar powered radios.

I never built anything useful for my stereo. But I seemed to be able to
scare up components like the Ampeg bass amplifier that I integrated into my
system. I loved that thing. Two 15" drivers and perhaps 150-200 watts to
drive them. Though my band director made me give it back a week before I
graduated, I enjoyed that thing immensly for 3+ years, and it certainly
created a benchmark in terms of bass power that I strove hard to replace,
which I finally achieved when, in college, I purchased a 15" subwoofer and
150 watt X 2 amplifier (the sub was unpowered). I lived in a dorm and this
did not make me very popular with my neighbors. But a side note to that, it
was in college that I first began to understand the peculiar nature of bass.
When I would crank my system (which I didn't do all that often), it wasn't
my immediate neighbors who complained, but students whose rooms were very
far from mine, but located on the boundries of the building. I remember
being VERY surprised when some upset student would complian and their room
was located 12 rooms from mine, yet my next door neighbor heard almost
nothing. I remember thinking just how strange it was.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
(GregS) wrote:
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Oh I forgot, those garbage can speakers
I made in 1970 used 10 inch Radio Shack coaxials.
You turn the plastic can upside down, cut the hole out
with a knife and put mounting holes in, stuff the inside
with something like a pillow, turn it back over and rock.
It was something you can do in the Army barracks
without much of anything.

greg

I love these kind of stories, I really do. You seem very much like
myself
as a kid, not a lot of money, but an absolute LOVE of music and the gear
that plays the music. Oh, and a desire to listen at ear-bleeding levels.

WIth 2 sets of my bass speakers in the basement and 200 wats per
side, was enough to get 130 dB ear splitting volume.

I forgot to mention me and my friend back in the early 70's. He played
bass
with a pair of Ampeg transistor rigs. Each had 4 - 12 inch Altec drivers
and a horn. 8- 12 inch Altecs can make yourself vibrate. We would hook
up his fathers tape deck and try different things, music, echo, etc.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I will get a record clamp. I didn't post it but a couple months ago I got a
new belt, one designed SPECIFICALLY for this table, not a generic Technics
belt designed for MANY models as there are subtle differences in length that
can lengthen or shorten the life of the belt if you don't get the EXACT
model for your table, as well as the new Audio Technica cartridge and
headshell.

It all sound FANTASTIC and I was pleased that after so many years, my vinyal
still sounded outstanding (of course, I have always neem carefull about
storing my collection in the house, not outside in the garage or a shed
where heat or cold can damage the album). I have to admitt, there is
something about vinyal records and the superior sound quality they produce
(provided you have a decent table, cartridge, amp and speakers).

Many records I played just plain sounded better in every respect than the CD
or high sampling rate MP3. I bought a new sound card as well just so I
could make superior rips of some of my records. However, as happened when I
bought a new video card, I discovered benefits I simply did not expect. For
instance, I bought the new video card 5 years ago so I could integrate my HD
TV to my computer. But perhaps the BIGGEST benefit I completely did not
expect from that purchase is now I use two LCD monitors at all times. I
have found this to be a wonderful convience and cannot imagine EVER going
back to a single monitor. For instance, I usually have a movie going on my
22" LCD, my "main" monitor, and then I surf the net, check mail, do
countless other things on my 19" secondary monitor. I LOVE that, use it
EVERY TIME I USE THE COMPUTER, and certainly use that feature more than the
integration of my computer to my TV.

Well, I discovered a similar thing with my new sound card. Although I
bought it for ripping albums, I also now have 7.1 or 5.1 audio pumped to my
Denon whenever I play a movie on my computer and tranfer it to my home
theater (as long as the movie, of course, has multi-channel audio encoded on
it). But beyond even that, the BIGGEST benefit is the dramatic improvement
is SQ with the new card. It is quite amazing the difference. I have pretty
good phones, top-of-the line ($80) 50mm driver Sound Candy over the ear
phones. I compeletley did not the expect the improvemnt. I thought my
"stock" (built-in) sound card of my Compaq delivered good sound. I was
wrong. This aftermarket card I bought sounded AMAZINGLY better, and also
came with some sound tools (beyond your basic EQ and reverb) that can
manipulate the SQ in subtle and great ways.

Anyway, it just goes to show you, as I've said, computer makers do not focus
much on sound and video quality, instead focusing on the four parameter most
consumers focus on, price, processor speed, hard drive size and RAM size.
Other things, (mouse, keyboard, sound, video, CD and DVD, and sometimes
modem hardware are now located all on the motherboard) and to keep costs
down, are often of poor quality.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids
and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I
recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really,
but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

I have 3 headphones in my collection. They are all different yet have
made the headlines as being great for one reason
or another. I do like the AT's the best, and don't touch your ears.

AT ATH-AD700 bought a couple years ago, open back http://www.ambientweather.com/dbathad700.html
Grado SR-60 bought in the 90's, open back
Sony MDRV6 orginal set bought in the 80's, closed back

greg
Anyway, it just goes to show you, as I've said, computer makers do not focus
much on sound and video quality, instead focusing on the four parameter most
consumers focus on, price, processor speed, hard drive size and RAM size.
Other things, (mouse, keyboard, sound, video, CD and DVD, and sometimes
modem hardware are now located all on the motherboard) and to keep costs
down, are often of poor quality.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids
and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I
recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really,
but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I, as well, happen to own three sets of phones. A Grado 220 (a $200 set of
headphones), a Koss over-the-ear model k/6ALC, and the Sound Candy's top of
the line over-the-ear (I am a BIG fan of over the ear phones) 50mm driver
headphones bought at Best Buy about two years ago.

Each has their merrits and drawbacks. The Koss are just plain heavy and not
very comfortable. They sound great, but after wearing them for over 30
minutes, they begin to fatigue my ears, physically, not sonically.

The Grado's sound WONDERFUL, and are perhaps my best sounding phones, but as
ALL Grado's are (like your famous Model 60's), they are not over the ear
(and just to be very clear, when I say over-the-ear, I am reffering to
phones that completely cup your ears, cutting out to a large degree outside
sounds). So although I do like the SQ of my Grado's that I have owned the
longest, 13 years now, I have two main complaints, for $200 phones they are
built VERY, VERY cheaply and have had to be glued back together twice over
the years and have duct-tape on them now to hold them together, and then,
like I said, they are NOT over the ear which I REALLY like as my home is
often very noisy with a 16 year old neice living with my wife and I. The
Sound Candy's, on the other hand, are perhaps the VERY MOST COMFOTABLE
phones I have ever put on and CERTAINLY ever owned. I love them for that
reason. They are INCREIBLY light, feather light, yet are still over the ear
type. I find the SQ EXCELLENT, definately rivaling my Koss phones. So of
the three, I just plain tend to use the Sound Candy phones. AS I said, they
are wickedly comfortable (I can wear them all day and just plain forget they
are there), and the SQ, while perhaps not QUITE (but close) to the SQ of my
Grado's, more than make up for that fact because of their other benefits.

I, like you Greg, care very much about the quality of my phones and I have
already run into some audiophile friends of mine who out-of-hand "poo-poo"ed
my Sound Candy's as their over-the-top styling and use of colors and
graphics lead many to believe they are simply designed for kids and cannot
be taken seriously by true audiophiles. HOWEVER, their opinions quickly
change as soon as I audition them for my buddies who come over to my place.
Bottom line: SoundCandy DOES make some outstanding quality headphones,
regardless of all the "flair" associated with their design and seemingly
COUNTLESS models. The trick is to get their top of the line models with the
larger 50mm drivers (MOST of their phones use smaller 40mm drivers). But if
you have not before, GIVE THEM A TRY!!!! You may be pleasently surprised
that you can purchase such an wickedly comfortable over the ear headphone
that rivals the BEST when it comes to SQ at a reasonable price ($80).

If you are a connesiour of headphones, at least try 'em. I was very
pleasently surprised when trying them at Best Buy and have owned them for
two years now and they have been stepped on, dropped, ect., but are still
going strong (built very sturdy and strong) and sound as good as the day I
bought them. Just make sure you try the 50mm driver models.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I
NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids
and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I
recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really,
but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

I can't find any link to Sound Candy.

There would be a lot mot Audio Technica's sold if they were in the outlets.
There are similar models up to $1000 not available in the American market.
The current closed back model for mixing is highly regarded by pro's.
ATH-M50

greg

[...]

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

"GregS" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
My first MM turntable (which happen to be my first turntable ever, I
NEVER
owned one of those cheapo ceramic cartridge type, you know the type kids
and
schools owned in the 60-70's') was a VERY old BIC (remember them) I
recieved

When you talk turntables, you must have a record clamp. Well not really,
but
the clamp takes away some of the records resonance sitting
on the platter. It DOES make a difference.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
David Matthew Wood[_2_] David Matthew Wood[_2_] is offline

Agreed, on the good 'ol turntable. Mine is just a Pioneer PL-L1000
linear turntable, which I mounted a Shure V15 on. I really don't mind
the occasional "click" or "pop" associated with vinyl, I definitely
prefer its overall sound quality to that of a CD.

And I'm not even taking into account, the ****ty way they have been
mastering the more modern CDs (from the last 10 years or so), either.

[...]