Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default From some very unique minds

Barkingspyder wrote

Your obsession with Bose doesn't cut it with me. I heard 901's and
was not as impressed with that as I was with Carver's demo recording
of sonic holography. Worst of all for me the 901's had horrible
mushy bass. Like what you want, it's fine with me. You do seem to
have a problem getting all the facts you know into some sort of
cogency.

I have to agree, here. I had friends who owned Bose 901s back in the day, and
I have to say that I never did get it. As you say, they had poor bass and I
also thought that their highs were poor as well. I put the bass down to the
active equalizer that 901s counted upon to get those small speakers to
produce any sound below 60 Hz. I thought that the speakers always sounded
better without the equalizer in the system and, apparently, so did one friend
who owned them. Eventually, he "traded" the equalizer for a real pair of
subwoofers and crossed-over at about 100 Hz. It improved the bass a
thousandfold, but to my ears did nothing for the top-end (to be fair, I
thought Popular Electronics' "Sweet-16" speaker system was terrible as well.
The idea that you could make 16 cheap, small speakers sound as good as a well
engineered commercial speaker was ludicrous). Even so, I always thought that
the "direct/reflected sound" theory to be a bunch of hooey. 901's imaged
horribly. They would take recordings with pin-point imaging and turn them
into vague, nebulous sounding pastiches of sound "thrown up" on the walls
behind the speakers. Frankly, I've always thought that Amir Bose was a bit of
a charlatan. Most (but not all) of his ideas were marketing over engineering.
I recall going to a demo of one of Bose's satellite systems. I'm in a lecture
hall (belonging to a big electronics retailer) and on the stage was a pair of
big speaker boxes that looked similar to a pair of AR-3's. The presenter
started to play the music and it filled the room with sound that you were
supposed to believe was coming from those box speakers. When the presenter
thought that everyone was thoroughly enough fooled he removed the grilles
from the speakers showing that they weren't boxes at all, just hollow frames
with fabric grill cloths on them. Inside the boxes on small stands were a
pair of Bose cubes. Unfortunately, while the music was playing and everyone
else was ostensibly being wowed by the big sound, I was thinking "Why does
this sound so distorted?" When, after the spiel, I asked about the
distortion, the presenter just looked at me - he had no answer. I've heard
these Bose satellite systems subsequently and have always thought that they
were, at the very least, terribly colored.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

On 7/23/2012 6:01 PM, Audio Empire wrote:
Barkingspyder wrote

Your obsession with Bose doesn't cut it with me. I heard 901's and
was not as impressed with that as I was with Carver's demo recording
of sonic holography. Worst of all for me the 901's had horrible
mushy bass. Like what you want, it's fine with me. You do seem to
have a problem getting all the facts you know into some sort of
cogency.

Even so, I always thought that
the "direct/reflected sound" theory to be a bunch of hooey.

Have to agree.

901's imaged
horribly. They would take recordings with pin-point imaging and turn them
into vague, nebulous sounding pastiches of sound "thrown up" on the walls
behind the speakers.

That's my biggest issue with them as well. I have always had my
attention "drawn" to the reflected sound, i.e. far from creating a
realistic *image*, the presentation always drew my attention to the
periphery of the room, and how much unnatural reverberant sound was present.

Frankly, I've always thought that Amir Bose was a bit of
a charlatan. Most (but not all) of his ideas were marketing over engineering.

Again, hard for me to argue. Nor are you alone in that cadre of
skeptics. That said, I thought the earlier renditions of the 201 were
actually fairly good sounding speakers for their size, and for poking
into corners where other small bookshelf speakers sounded pretty poor.
But then, as I said in a previous post, the 501 was one of poorest
speakers I've ever heard, so a bit of a dog's breakfast in my opinion.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 06:56:40 -0700, KH wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I had a buddy who was duped into a pair of 501s when he was in graduate
school. Not only did they sound lousy, but they weren't very well made
either. Not long after he purchased them, one started to buzz loudly. For the
same money (at the time) he could have purchased any number of better small
speakers from the likes of AR, Dyna (A-25s anybody?), or even Infinity. But
he didn't ask my opinion, he just bought those awful Bose monstrosities!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

I had a buddy who was duped into a pair of 501s when he was in graduate
school. Not only did they sound lousy, but they weren't very well made
either. Not long after he purchased them, one started to buzz loudly. For
the
same money (at the time) he could have purchased any number of better
small
speakers from the likes of AR, Dyna (A-25s anybody?), or even Infinity.
But
he didn't ask my opinion, he just bought those awful Bose monstrosities!

I forget why, but at one point during my tour in England I bought a pair of
Bose 601s. I positioned them the same way I have recommended for the 901s,
one quarter of the room width in from the side walls and an equal amount out
from the front wall.

These speakers were more fun than a barrel full of drunk monkeys. They set
up a sound field that was so holographic I had to share it with someone who
was interested in this sort of thing. I had a relatively famous British
writer and acoustician, Peter Mapp, over for a listen. He was fascinated
enough that he vowed to obtain a pair of them for further study in his lab.
I don't know if anything ever came of it, but he did like them very much, at
least the way I had them configured.

Gary Eickmeier