Stewart Pinkerton

Default Distorsion percentage, power or voltage?

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 02:21:31 GMT, (John Fields)
wrote:

On 18 Jan 2004 14:54:25 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

Glenn Booth wrote in message ...
Hi,

In message , Stewart Pinkerton
writes

I am a Scot, but I'm 56 years old, and I was brought up with feet and
inches, and with pounds, shillings and pence. Yes, the metric system
is simpler, but this doesn't affect how we *think*. I am 6 feet 3
inches tall, I know how tall is someone who is 6 feet tall, but I have
no idea how tall is someone who is 1.83 metres tall.................

I'm similar, but not a Scot :-)

We bought new weighing scales that only work in kilos, and I'm tempted
to throw them at the wall. I can only think in stones, despite knowing
the conversion factor very well. I think I'll be that way until I die.

It makes me laugh when the large print on milk bottles says "1.136
litres", with "2 pints" written underneath in a minuscule typeface. It's
so obviously designed for people who think in imperial measures, but the
law says it has to be sold in metric.

Slightly more on topic, I understand there is a move afoot to replace
the decibel with the 'neper' (an SI unit). I hope it doesn't catch on;
I'm only just beginning to get a proper understanding of the old system.

I have hesitated to bring the Neper into this discussion, but as you
do I'll bring the following up:

While the dB is fundamentally defined as describing a POWER (or
intensity)ratio, the neper is defined as describing a VOLTAGE (or
pressure/velocity/current) ratio. Further more, it uses the natural
logarithm. So, while the dB is defined in it most pure :-) form as

dB = 10 * log10 (p/pref)

the Neper is defined as:

Np = ln (U/Uref)

On the page
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/outside.html
, however, both dB and Np are listed as being "outside" the metric
system, but accepted for use with tha metric system.

I also hope that the neper never will be a success. Possibly this has
to do with me having ten fingers, rather than 2.71.

---
The neper is already a success, and has been used for years and years
in telecommunications. For a quick peek,

http://www.sizes.com/units/neper.htm

Possibly the reason you'd like for it not to have become a success is
because you're already having a lot of trouble sorting out n(dB) = 20
log10 from n(dB) = 10 log10, and being confronted with having to sort
out n(Np) = logn A/Aref from n(Np) = 0.5 logn P/Pref is 2.713...
times more daunting?^)

e, them were't days, lad........................ :-)

Svante

chung wrote in message rvers.com...
Svante wrote:
Svante wrote:

chung wrote in message ervers.com...
Svante wrote:
I mean, the fundaments of dB
assumes that we measure a power ratio.

No such assumption.

The equation for "voltage dBs"
(20*log(u/uref)) is a derivation based on that p~u^2 neglecting the
effects of varying load resistance.

It is a definition, not a derivation.

So, if it is a definition, free from association with the power ratio,
why does it say "20" times the logarith of the ratio. deci would mean
ten (or a tenth).

It's defined in such a way so that voltage ratios in dB is consistent
with power ratios in dB.

Read any textbook. dB is always defined, not derived.

I have read not just any, but many textbooks. And yes, dB is defined,
but only once. That definition is

dB = 10 * log (p/pref)

You need to read more EE textbooks

From that we can DERIVE, given a constant load resistance and that
p=u^2/R, that

dB = 10 * log (u^2 / uref^2) = 20 * log (u/uref)

Am I the only one that sees the power ratio as the logical way to
define the dB. I mean, I know that deci stands for a tenth, WHY ON
EARTH would we put TWENTY in the equation if we defined dBs based on a
voltage ratio????

You missed what I wrote: to keep it consistent with power ratios
expressed in dB's. So that a dB is a dB!

Ok, I did. But if it is to be kept consistent with power ratios, isn't
it then DERIVED from the power ratio? It is not a stand-alone
definition, it is derived from the original definition of the dB, that
applies to the power ratio. And yes, a dB is a dB. Unless the load
resistance varies.

Svante

(John Fields) wrote in message ...
On 18 Jan 2004 14:54:25 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

[...]

I think my reason is rather that i know that 20 dB is 10 times the
voltage and 100 times the power. Nice and even numbers. But I guess it
is like the americans still thinking in feet and inches.
So, in telecommunications, is there an example that the neper
simplifies things, compared to the decibel?

Svante

Glenn Booth wrote in message ...
Hi,

In message , Svante
writes

My answer to this is that the original definition is for the power
ratio, and the logarithm of that power ratio was taken as a BEL. The
deci was introduced, just as for the decimeter, and we ended up with a
TEN before the log. To measure a power level difference by means of
voltages, given constant load resistance, we would have to take the
log of the SQUARE of the voltage ratio, since power is proportional to
voltage squared. Simple math makes us then realise that we can skip
the square if we put TWENTY before the log instead.

That was my reasoning also. The factor of 2 is only necessary to account
for the squared term in the relationship between power and voltage (or
their equivalents). However, having checked a few links from Google, it
seems far from clear - there are many conflicting opinions. For example:

http://www.madengineer.com/blunders/decibels.htm
Claims the decibel was originally defined to relate pressures.

http://www.sizes.com/units/decibel.htm
Claims that the decibel originated to relate powers.

Using dB for power relationships seems mathematically clear and
intuitive - the maths needs to be massaged in order to compare voltages,
for example. The same goes for sound power, and sound pressure (pressure
being the mechanical analog of voltage).

So in my mind there is no doubt that the original (deci-)bel
definition is for a power ratio, and that the equation for a voltage
ratio is derived from that.

It does seem logical; unfortunately, I can't find any definitive
reference.

To be honest, neither can I. I think I'll let it rest with this. Just
like some people are convinced there is a God and don't need proof...
:-)

Svante

John Fields wrote in message . ..
On 19 Jan 2004 00:54:22 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

Ok, I did. But if it is to be kept consistent with power ratios, isn't
it then DERIVED from the power ratio? It is not a stand-alone
definition, it is derived from the original definition of the dB, that
applies to the power ratio. And yes, a dB is a dB. Unless the load
resistance varies.

---
Rather than one being derived from the other, they are merely different
ways of looking at the same thing.

But, you must admit that the power definition is more straightforward
than the voltage definition? But OK, I can live with that it can be
seen as two way of looking at things.

In the beginning, when the Bel was introduced in order to define a unit
which described a difference in loudness of a factor of two, it was
discovered that in order for one sound (and let's leave the
psychoacoustics out of it) to appear twice as loud as another, ten times
the power had to be radiated toward the listener.

You can't say that you leave psychoacoustics out of it if you say that
a sound appears twice as load as another. That IS psychoacoustics!

The fallout from this
was that, since P = EČ/R, in order to describe current or voltage ratios
using the 'Bel', the logarithm of the voltage or current ratio had to be
doubled.

Here's a nice link:

http://www.safetyline.wa.gov.au/inst...e54/l54_03.asp

A crucial line on this page is:

I = 0.0024 * p^2

This relation fixes the two references (for SP and SI) to oneanother.

I usually write this as p^2/(rho0 * c) where rho0 is the density of
air and c is the speed of sound, and rho0*c equals the "wave
impedance". If the wave impedance assumed to be 400 Ns/m3 the two
levels (SIL and SPL) are identical. Otherwise there is a (mostly tiny)
difference.