Posted to rec.audio.pro
jeffl jeffl is offline

Default spectrum analyzer?

Please share your thoughts
One of my Event asp8s has had an intermittent low end flutter and after it
goes away it sounds okay but is a bit louder than its mate. Sometimes the
thing gets really loud for a few seconds--really annoying. I called Event
and may swap out the amp. Strangely its almost back to identical volume and
hasn't been a problem for a week now.

Anyways-I'd like to get a device to check the volume and freq output of the
things to make sure they are perfectly matched. I was a little concerned to
find the hi/lo/and output trim knobs were different on the 2 units--one has
them made of a hard plastic and the other has hard rubber knobs--funny that
I never noticed this before--the guy at Event says they're just different
end-caps and that there has been no design change, etc between shipments.
If anyone remembers--I had taken home 2 pair of these that actually sorta
blew up when I plugged them in--smoke-a few sparks--made for some excitement
here at the Loven homestead. People made fun of me and I guess rightfully
so! Turned out they actually had a batch shipped to GC that went to the
wrong country--something electronic. I still wanted/and finally received a
good pair a few years ago.

Is it a spectrum analyzer I want. I would like to check the room and
speakers if possible. Any product suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
again!
Jeff Loven

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:11:28 -0600, "jeffl" wrote:

[...]

You have a spectrum analyzer - your sound card, coupled with whatever
DAW software you use. Good luck checking the room and speakers though;
many a good idea has crashed and burned attempting that daunting
undertaking.

You will have fun learning, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I'd like to get a device to check the volume and freq output
of the things to make sure they are perfectly matched.

Play a mono recording and stand halfway between the speakers. This will give
you a pretty good idea of whether there are any major differences. Also try
white and pink noise.

----- The Lady from Philadelphia

Not two speakers will ever be "perfectly" matched. There will always be
small differences.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nono Nono is offline

On 11 mrt, 07:11, "jeffl" wrote:

Anyways-I'd like to get a device to check the volume and freq output of the
things to make sure they are perfectly matched.

Hi Jeff,

I calibrated my monitor levels with a simple SPL meter basically
following the method described on the following pages:
http://audiodesignlabs.com/wordpress...m-calibration/
http://www.digido.com/audio-faq/m/mo...libration.html

This is only LEVEL calibration though.
Fortunately my monitor's tone controls are dipswitches, so I didn't
need to fiddle with them.

Good luck,
Norman.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

following the method described on the following pages:http://audiodesignlabs.com/wordpress...libration.html

This is only LEVEL calibration though.
Fortunately my monitor's tone controls are dipswitches, so I didn't
need to fiddle with them.

Good luck,
Norman.

see:

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jeffl wrote:
[...]

If you want to look for room problems, just playing back swept sine tones
and listening with one ear closed (or with a sound level meter) will tell
you an awful lot about what is going on in the room.

If you have speaker system problems, though, that is a different issue
entirely. I have to say your description of the speaker system does not
give me a great sense of confidence.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] Leon@nospam.com is offline

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:11:28 -0600, "jeffl" wrote:

Is it a spectrum analyzer I want. I would like to check the room and
speakers if possible. Any product suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
again!

A good 'not too expensive' setup is a Behringer DEQ2496 with an ECM8000
measurement mic. I made a vast improvement in my DAW room using it.

Spectrum Lab audio spectrum analyzer and waterfall Mark Pro Audio 0 November 24th 08 04:59 PM
Spectrum Analyzer doki_pen Pro Audio 8 September 18th 06 11:28 AM
Spectrum Analyzer Steve Warson Audio Opinions 16 December 13th 04 08:42 AM
FA: Audio Spectrum Analyzer kb6lue Marketplace 0 February 10th 04 04:06 PM
FA:BSR EQ-3000 spectrum analyzer EQ Marketplace 0 January 15th 04 01:46 PM