Troy

Default Sony Vaio for audio???

We are going to add a new computer for audio and video in our studio.We
mostly use Dell computers,and have had good luck with them.We are thinking
about buying a new sony vaio as it has alot of features we are looking
for.It will be a 2.4 + ghz.Any comments from sony users?Should we buy a sony
or stick with dell?,what is sony tech support like?.What audio cards work
well with these systems?.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay

David Satz

Troy wrote:

what is sony tech support like?

That's the problem I ran into. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which is just
old enough to be out of warranty, and I called Sony to ask whether there
would be any BIOS problems if I installed a larger capacity hard drive.

They told me that [a] they weren't sure whether they had that information
or not but [b] if I paid $35, they would look in their product database
but [c] the $35 was theirs to keep even if the answer was "Hmmm, don't
see anything listed here about that," and if I had any further questions
those would also cost $35 each with no assurance of any answer at all.

I decided never to buy another Sony computer as long as that's their
"customer service" policy.
kHolmes

Troy wrote in message
. ..
We are going to add a new computer for audio and video in our studio.

Dude, why don't you build one. It's not really all that hard, in
fact, there was a decent article in the latest EQ about building your
own. You would definately save money, plus, you would have all the
features you need without the ones you don't (modem, etc.), that is,
of course, if this computer will be strictly for audio.

$700.00 will get you a mean-ass computer, instead of, what $1500 for
the Viao?

But if you are set on buying one, the Viao would be much better than
the Dell. It is at least somewhat connected to audio, whereas the
Dells I've used are just average-do-anything computers.

kale
Ron Charles

Sony Tech Support SUCKS!!!
Forget about getting any issues resolved by the folks at Sony. They are
pleasant, but will not help at all with third party or non Sony software or
hardware issues, and usually cannot even solve Sony issues with Vaios.
RON CHARLES

"Troy" wrote in message
. ..
We are going to add a new computer for audio and video in our studio.We
mostly use Dell computers,and have had good luck with them.We are thinking
about buying a new sony vaio as it has alot of features we are looking
for.It will be a 2.4 + ghz.Any comments from sony users?Should we buy a

sony
or stick with dell?,what is sony tech support like?.What audio cards work
well with these systems?.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay
Alternate Root Studio
www.alternate-root.com

OZ

"Troy" wrote in message .ca...
Forgot to mention it will be a desktop model not a laptop

Please let me know the model you are using.

Troy wrote in message
. ..
We are going to add a new computer for audio and video in our studio.We
mostly use Dell computers,and have had good luck with them.We are thinking
about buying a new sony vaio as it has alot of features we are looking
for.It will be a 2.4 + ghz.Any comments from sony users?Should we buy a

sony
or stick with dell?,what is sony tech support like?.What audio cards work
well with these systems?.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay
Alternate Root Studio
www.alternate-root.com

The Sony Video Desktop works great for audio. I use my new Vaio for
mastering in house projects using Wavelab 4 and a Lynx 22 sound card.
One caution do not upgrade the OS, if it arrives with XP Home edition
leave it be. I ran into all kinds of problems when I tried to upgrade
to XP pro. These systems are taylored to the OEM OS software
installed, otherwise she works flawless. These new systems are
designed for the Audio and Video users.

Ozzie
Mike Clayton

In article , "Troy"
wrote:

We are going to add a new computer for audio and video in our studio.We
mostly use Dell computers,and have had good luck with them.We are thinking
about buying a new sony vaio as it has alot of features we are looking
for.It will be a 2.4 + ghz.Any comments from sony users?Should we buy a sony
or stick with dell?,what is sony tech support like?.What audio cards work
well with these systems?.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
Troy Tremblay
Alternate Root Studio
www.alternate-root.com

I went to a Pro Tools for Windows demo a few months ago. They were trying
to run a digi 002 on a Sony Vaio laptop and it wouldn't work, right in
front of a room full of people. Pro Tools kept saying it couldn't see the
firewire port and quitting.

I suggested politely they plug it into the G4 they had under the table and
it worked a treat.

--
Mike Clayton