Bob

Default Differences In Audio Components That I've Heard And Not Heard

Okay. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am an audio hobbyist.
I've been listening to high-end equipment for some time (at my home
and at different high-end shops) and I'll tell you what I've heard and
not heard.

1. Speakers. YES. I can clearly hear a difference between speakers.

2. Turntables. I remember listening to a comparison of a Linn Sondek
system vs. a SOTA turntable with a Sumiko arm (they both had different
cartridges, I can't remember what they were) and I think that I heard
a difference, so YES.

3. Digital components (transports, processors, upsamplers, etc.).
I"ve listened, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference
between a $200 CD player and a $2000 one, so NO. I haven't heard
DVD-Audio or SACD though.

4. Electronics (preamps and amps). Hmm. As far as solid state
electronics go, I really can't hear a difference. However, I swear
that I think that I can hear a difference between it and tubed
electronics. YES.

5. Cables. NO. I think that this whole area of high-end is pure
B.S.

So there you have it. Any comments?

TonyP

In spite of what others have said.....

Bob wrote:

Okay. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am an audio hobbyist.
I've been listening to high-end equipment for some time (at my home
and at different high-end shops) and I'll tell you what I've heard and
not heard.

1. Speakers. YES. I can clearly hear a difference between speakers.

The same also. Even between speakers having the same 'response' 'specs'
listed.

2. Turntables. I remember listening to a comparison of a Linn Sondek
system vs. a SOTA turntable with a Sumiko arm (they both had different
cartridges, I can't remember what they were) and I think that I heard
a difference, so YES.

Between my VPI and SOTA? I couldn't. We have the same cartridge but
different arms and connecting cables. I love the way the VPI looked and
how easy it was to upgrade. The simplicity of setup and table design
drew me to it. That, and the fact that the factory was in Queens, NY,
where I used to live.

3. Digital components (transports, processors, upsamplers, etc.).
I"ve listened, and for the life of me I can't tell the difference
between a $200 CD player and a $2000 one, so NO. I haven't heard
DVD-Audio or SACD though.

I have a 11 yr old JVC CD player. I can definitely hear the difference
between it and my Marantz DVD player with CD's. The same when I listen
to my Parasound CD player, which bettered the aged (5 yr old) Marantz
DVD player.

4. Electronics (preamps and amps). Hmm. As far as solid state
electronics go, I really can't hear a difference. However, I swear
that I think that I can hear a difference between it and tubed
electronics. YES.

I have a Denon solid state preamp, Counterpoint tube preamp and a Marsh
hybrid. They all sound different (preference for the Marsh). I have an
Onkyo M510 solid state amp, Carver 1.5t solid state amp and a
Counterpoint SA200 amp. They all sound different (preference Counterpoint).

5. Cables. NO. I think that this whole area of high-end is pure
B.S.

For the most part, I agree. I can't tell the difference in speaker
cables. I am using right now shotgunned AudioQuest Indigo 2's with my
Von Schweikert VR4's. They sounded the same as my 20 year old Monster
Powerline 2's. Interconnects, well, I have heard differences. Most, to
me do sound the same (I have a box of assorted audiophile/generic
cables). I do hear a difference when I put in the Canare L4E6S
interconnects. Whether that relates to capacitance/mumble jumble, time
of day, mental/physical well being of myself (or not), I don't know. But
there is a definite difference in sound with my preference being the
Canare (REAL cheap if you make it yourself).