Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Default Do different power amps work together?

I am in the process of installing. What I was thinking of doing was using
the receiver (4x21 rms) to power front and rear (or maybe just front) 4"
2-ways. Then run the "Subwoofer pre-out" RCAs to an amp and a subwoofer.
(The Subwoofer out has a left and right but I really only wanted one sub, so
I am not sure about that).

Anyway, my question is: if I get a 100+ watt amp for the sub, won't it be
too loud compared to the speakers, which are only on 21 watts?

If so, what are some solutions?

Thanks in advance

Posted to rec.audio.car
MaGurk MaGurk is offline

Basically, you will set the gain on the sub amp to match the volume on
your front and rear speakers. So, it should blend in pretty well. Do
you know how to set the gain on the amp?

--
MaGurk
Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

no. Actually all I have is the head unit, which has: 4x21 rms, a left and
right RCA pre amp out, and a left and right RCA subwoofer out. I am open
to anything not too complicated, though I do want a subwoofer (just one).

"MaGurk" wrote in message

Basically, you will set the gain on the sub amp to match the volume on
your front and rear speakers. So, it should blend in pretty well. Do
you know how to set the gain on the amp?

--
MaGurk

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

No, I have looked at some amps but don't remember seeing a gain control. Is
in in the head unit?

Let me ask this, would I be wasting money to get a 200 watt amp and
subwoofer if I am driving the main speakers with 4x21 watt head unit? If I
just used two of the main speakers would I get 2 x 42, making it a little
loudes, to match the sub?

tom

"MaGurk" wrote in message

Basically, you will set the gain on the sub amp to match the volume on
your front and rear speakers. So, it should blend in pretty well. Do
you know how to set the gain on the amp?

--
MaGurk

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

there are so many variables to this. itd take me 300 words to explain
it. from different locations of the speakers to listening to different
parts of the music being powered .to itll all blend together anyways. to
most want bass louder too.
somethings just dont over think it.lol
When i open my refrigerator this little lights comes on. do i ask why?
no. i just accept it.lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek Vivek is offline

If I were to go with only one amp and that too having only 2 channels of
amplification then I would prefer to power the 4inch front speakers first. I
may miss the bass but the overall sound of the music would be much better
than powering the front from HU.

What is the use of sub if there is no mid-bass!!

Best would be to have a 4-channel amp and power all 4 speakers from the amp.
Leave the sub for now.

"puttster" wrote in message
| No, I have looked at some amps but don't remember seeing a gain control.
Is
| in in the head unit?
|
| Let me ask this, would I be wasting money to get a 200 watt amp and
| subwoofer if I am driving the main speakers with 4x21 watt head unit? If
| just used two of the main speakers would I get 2 x 42, making it a little
| loudes, to match the sub?
|
| tom

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Hey Puttster, welcome!

I had a setup much like you're describing for a long time, and was very
happy with it! It's an inexpensive introduction to the wonderful world
of car audio. As for only using two of the speakers and doubling the
power off of the head unit: Not Going To Happen. I don't think ANY
head units I've ever seen have bridgeable channels... I would
recommend that along with your 4" speakers up front, you get (at the
smallest) some 6.5" speakers for the rear of the car somewhere and
power them off of the rear channel outputs from the deck. I agree with
what Vivek said above, "What is the use of sub if there is no
mid-bass!!" Once you have all four speakers inside the car hooked up,
a Sub powered by 150 - 200 watts (rms) will be just fine. The gain is
also called the 'input level' on some amplifiers. Whatever it's
called, I've never seen an amplifier without it, and yes it's a knob on
the amp itself. If you have a decent enough head unit, there should
also be a subwoofer level control or volume that you can play with
too... Hope that helps!

~Mister.Lull

"MaGurk" wrote in message

Basically, you will set the gain on the sub amp to match the volume on
your front and rear speakers. So, it should blend in pretty well. Do
you know how to set the gain on the amp?

--
MaGurk

Posted to rec.audio.car
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

puttster wrote:
No, I have looked at some amps but don't remember seeing a gain control. Is
in in the head unit?

No, it's on the amp. It's like a volumen knob. You might need a
screwdriver to adjust it. And it might be hiding in a hole or
something.

Let me ask this, would I be wasting money to get a 200 watt amp and
subwoofer if I am driving the main speakers with 4x21 watt head unit?

If you plan to upgrade to another amp later for the other speakers,
then no. 200 watts is too much for your current setup though.

If I
just used two of the main speakers would I get 2 x 42, making it a little
loudes, to match the sub?

The amp in your deck is almost certainly not 2-ohm stable. I bet it
works, but clips enough to be pointless. And you may break something.
Just invest in another amp when you get a chance.

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car

puttster wrote:
No, I have looked at some amps but don't remember seeing a gain control. Is
in in the head unit?

One more thing... if your head unit has separate subwoofer RCAs, then
there should be a way to attenuate the bass from the head unit. You
should really set the gain on the amp correctly though. Ideally, you
want to use the gain to prevent the sub amp and subs from clipping.

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Thanks for all the help folks! Lots of food for thought here, I am glad I
asked. Especially regarding amping.

Let me ask another - my HU has four RCA jacks: L&R for speakers and L&R
subwoofer. If I use these instead of the wires, does that mean I can only
have one pair of speakers (besides the sub)?

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Or am I complicating things by emphasizing the term "Subwoofer out" Maybe
it is not specifically a subwoofer out, maybe it is just a standard rear
out. Is this the case?

"puttster" wrote in message
Thanks for all the help folks! Lots of food for thought here, I am glad I
asked. Especially regarding amping.

Let me ask another - my HU has four RCA jacks: L&R for speakers and L&R
subwoofer. If I use these instead of the wires, does that mean I can only
have one pair of speakers (besides the sub)?

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "puttster" wrote:
Or am I complicating things by emphasizing the term "Subwoofer out" Maybe
it is not specifically a subwoofer out, maybe it is just a standard rear
out. Is this the case?

Well it sounds like its a subwoofer output if thats what it says.
There should only be one subwoofer channel. The lows
on most music is basically mono. You could use either
left or right and use it as the mono subwoofer output. It might be easy
to measure the voltage betwee the two. There should be no AC voltage
it they are subwoofers, but the question is, why would they do that??

greg

"puttster" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for all the help folks! Lots of food for thought here, I am glad I
asked. Especially regarding amping.

Let me ask another - my HU has four RCA jacks: L&R for speakers and L&R
subwoofer. If I use these instead of the wires, does that mean I can only
have one pair of speakers (besides the sub)?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Some deck manufacturers make the rear channel pre-amped outputs
optional subwoofer outputs. This is, unfortunately, not the best setup
but it works... What this means to you is that you have to choose
between a subwoofer or a rear pre-amped channel - you don't have both.
~Mister.Lull
GregS wrote:
In article , "puttster" wrote:
Or am I complicating things by emphasizing the term "Subwoofer out" Maybe
it is not specifically a subwoofer out, maybe it is just a standard rear
out. Is this the case?

Well it sounds like its a subwoofer output if thats what it says.
There should only be one subwoofer channel. The lows
on most music is basically mono. You could use either
left or right and use it as the mono subwoofer output. It might be easy
to measure the voltage betwee the two. There should be no AC voltage
it they are subwoofers, but the question is, why would they do that??

greg

"puttster" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for all the help folks! Lots of food for thought here, I am glad I
asked. Especially regarding amping.

Let me ask another - my HU has four RCA jacks: L&R for speakers and L&R
subwoofer. If I use these instead of the wires, does that mean I can only
have one pair of speakers (besides the sub)?

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Yes it seems smarter to make it a regular rear pre out and let the amp
perform the task of a low pass filter. Maybe that's what it is and the
"subwoofer our" phrase makes better marketing.

How would I go about performing an electrical test to see if it was a
subwoofer only, before I bought my speakers? I have a multimeter.

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Some deck manufacturers make the rear channel pre-amped outputs
optional subwoofer outputs. This is, unfortunately, not the best setup
but it works... What this means to you is that you have to choose
between a subwoofer or a rear pre-amped channel - you don't have both.
~Mister.Lull
GregS wrote:
In article , "puttster"

wrote:
Or am I complicating things by emphasizing the term "Subwoofer out"

Maybe
it is not specifically a subwoofer out, maybe it is just a standard

rear
out. Is this the case?

Well it sounds like its a subwoofer output if thats what it says.
There should only be one subwoofer channel. The lows
on most music is basically mono. You could use either
left or right and use it as the mono subwoofer output. It might be easy
to measure the voltage betwee the two. There should be no AC voltage
it they are subwoofers, but the question is, why would they do that??

greg

"puttster" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for all the help folks! Lots of food for thought here, I am

glad I
asked. Especially regarding amping.

Let me ask another - my HU has four RCA jacks: L&R for speakers and

L&R
subwoofer. If I use these instead of the wires, does that mean I can

only
have one pair of speakers (besides the sub)?

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "puttster" wrote:
Yes it seems smarter to make it a regular rear pre out and let the amp
perform the task of a low pass filter. Maybe that's what it is and the
"subwoofer our" phrase makes better marketing.

How would I go about performing an electrical test to see if it was a
subwoofer only, before I bought my speakers? I have a multimeter.

5 to 1 volt or so AC will indicate a stereo signal. Zero if mono.
If you had an auxillary amplifier or one of those little portable
speaker adaptors, you could somehow feed the preout into it
and listen. Even a home stereo could be used.

greg

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Some deck manufacturers make the rear channel pre-amped outputs
optional subwoofer outputs. This is, unfortunately, not the best setup
but it works... What this means to you is that you have to choose
between a subwoofer or a rear pre-amped channel - you don't have both.
~Mister.Lull
GregS wrote:
In article , "puttster"

wrote:
Or am I complicating things by emphasizing the term "Subwoofer out"

Maybe
it is not specifically a subwoofer out, maybe it is just a standard

rear
out. Is this the case?

Well it sounds like its a subwoofer output if thats what it says.
There should only be one subwoofer channel. The lows
on most music is basically mono. You could use either
left or right and use it as the mono subwoofer output. It might be easy
to measure the voltage betwee the two. There should be no AC voltage
it they are subwoofers, but the question is, why would they do that??

greg

.. .