Wylie Williams

Default Pro amps vs. consumer amps

How do they compare? This question arises because a customer of mine
asked me about one of his amps, made by Crown. All he could tell me is
that it cost about $500 and has a rated output of 450 watts per channel.
I have been told that the finest components made are for professional
use, but the prices for examples I have been given were very high. I am
concerned about the many pro amps like this one that are so much cheaper
than their consumer counterparts. Even though I have been in the audio
business since 1978 I have no experience with the power amplifiers sold
for professional use, as they are usually made and sold by different
companies, and when a company makes both they have separate sales forces
and dealer networks. Different stores - different customers.
If this is a good $500 450 wpc amp what are high end consumers doing
paying much higher prices for their amps?

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Saint Louis, Missouri
Ban

Wylie Williams wrote:
[...]

I also use a pro amp, the Yamaha 6150 6-channel. The quality is fine, very
solidly built 19" rack-mountable, able to deliver 100% of the rating on all
channels indefinitly. Big 1.8kVA transformer. 27kg weight. XLR inputs, no
RCAs. I have it under the bed because the fans are quite loud when playing
at listening levels. Around 1000$.
I could not find a consumer amp, but now I am building a 6x400W from
components without forced air cooling. I will use the digital modules UcD400
by Hypex, Netherlands. http://www.hypex.nl/

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Michael McKelvy

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message
How do they compare?

Very well. The biggest differences being in the build quality of the pro
amps being superior, sincethey are meant for traveling, and that most of
them seem to have cooling fans.

This question arises because a customer of mine
asked me about one of his amps, made by Crown. All he could tell me is
that it cost about $500 and has a rated output of 450 watts per channel. I
have been told that the finest components made are for professional use,
but the prices for examples I have been given were very high. I am
concerned about the many pro amps like this one that are so much cheaper
than their consumer counterparts. Even though I have been in the audio
business since 1978 I have no experience with the power amplifiers sold
for professional use, as they are usually made and sold by different
companies, and when a company makes both they have separate sales forces
and dealer networks. Different stores - different customers.
If this is a good $500 450 wpc amp what are high end consumers doing
paying much higher prices for their amps?

They seem to be paying for style and hype IMO. The science of amplification
is a done deal. It has been possible for decades to build amplifiers that
do not alter the signal being sent to them in any audible way. Check out
the web sites of people like QSC, Crown, Alesis, and if you really want bang
for your buck, this one, http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=ENG.

There is one other difference, you'll have to use things like XLR connectors
instead of RCA's.

If you think about it becomes very clear, pro audio has to do the same job
as consumer audio, but they don't have to appeal to people that feel the
need to "upgrade" ever couple of years. They don't spend the enormous
amounts of money in advertising that consumer audio or high end audio does.
All they have to do is be clean and reliable, which as I said has been done
for decades.

Russ Button

Wylie Williams wrote:
How do they compare?

Pro amps are designed to take much more abuse than consumer
amps. That abuse may come in the form a physical abuse
from being hauled around from job to job. And then there's
signal abuse from feedback, live microphones being disconnected
or dropped.

A good pro amp will have protection circuitry to enable it to
withstand signal abuse.

Pro amps are engineered for durability first, sound quality
second. A lot of pro amps have cooling fans in them which
would produce an unacceptable level of noise for a home user,
but in a nightclub or rock concert setting, would not be a
problem.

That being said, I run Hafler pro-grade amps in my system
and am pleased with the way they sound. They're MOSFET amps
and have the sound characteristic of MOSFET amps, which I
rather like.

It's all about listening though. Get your hands on some
pro grade amps and listen. The high powered ones mostly
have fans, and so would not be suitable candidates. But the
medium and lower powered amps would probably not have fans.

Russ Button

"Professional" power amps are practically a commodity. There is very
little to differentiate these products, so price becomes a driving
force. On forums dedicated to musicians, for instance, people talk
about dollars per watt. Some companies are still trying to market the
perception of quality, but this proves difficult when it is widely
believed that everybody is plugged into the same network of material
and production vendors in the Far East. There is also a perception that
audio quality is mainly a function of speakers (and the skill of the
musicians).

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force. The big difference is the
perception that quality is related to price, creating a "reverse
elasticity." Other factors include aesthetics, craftsmanship,
ergonomics, and so forth.

Wylie Williams wrote:
[...]

Michael McKelvy

"Ban" wrote in message
I also use a pro amp, the Yamaha 6150 6-channel. The quality is fine, very
solidly built 19" rack-mountable, able to deliver 100% of the rating on
all
channels indefinitly. Big 1.8kVA transformer. 27kg weight. XLR inputs, no
RCAs. I have it under the bed because the fans are quite loud when playing
at listening levels. Around 1000$.
I could not find a consumer amp, but now I am building a 6x400W from
components without forced air cooling. I will use the digital modules
UcD400
by Hypex, Netherlands. http://www.hypex.nl/

Hypex is also carried by Adire Audio here in the states and provide them
with most of their subwoofer amps. I have one that has been in place for 2
years now without a problem. Good stuff.

Edwin Hurwitz

I swapped out my McIntosh 2105 for a QSC PLX 2402 just to see what it
would be like. The Mac sounds way way better.

Edwin
Russ Button

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
I swapped out my McIntosh 2105 for a QSC PLX 2402 just to see what it
would be like. The Mac sounds way way better.

Like I said before, pro amps are built to be abused, physically
and electrically. Sonic qualities are waaaaay down the list of
engineeing criteria.

Don't forget that most products are built to a price point.
QSC amps are relatively cheap. That QSC amp is under $800
at Overstock.com, while the Mac 2105 probably cost $2000 or
more when it was new, which hasn't been for some time now.

It's like comparing a Chevy pickup truck to a Cadillac.
You can carry a lot in each of 'em, but which one do
you want to haul lumber in?

What might be a more appropriate comparison would be for you
to compare your QSC to a comparable Hafler pro amp, or even
one of those B&K MOSFET amps. QSC is what you use for DJ
setups and nobody cares what it sounds like at a DJ gig
just so that it ***THUMPS*** enough.

The McIntosh line has a reputation for durability beyond
what the standard home audio manufacturer puts out. I used
to run an electrostatic speaker which, under circumstances of
signal abuse, would readily fry a home hi-fi amp. Your QSC
would probably hold up. Not sure about the Mac.

Russ
Norman M. Schwartz

"Russ Button" wrote in message
Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
I swapped out my McIntosh 2105 for a QSC PLX 2402 just to see what it
would be like. The Mac sounds way way better.

Like I said before, pro amps are built to be abused, physically
and electrically. Sonic qualities are waaaaay down the list of
engineeing criteria.

A friend had a couple of Crown DC300As put into a 8 panneled Tympani system
(by Mel Schilling) when those speakers first appeared on the market. There
was also a huge powered vertical standing sub in his system. He loaned one
of the Crowns to me while my Ampzilla went in for one of its many repairs. I
believe the Crown DC300A has seen many satisfactory applications in both
home and pro systems. An exception to the urban legend?
http://www.jands.com.au/jandsweb/audio_crown.html

Michael McKelvy

wrote in message
"Professional" power amps are practically a commodity. There is very
little to differentiate these products,

Just like consumer audio amps.

so price becomes a driving
force. On forums dedicated to musicians, for instance, people talk
about dollars per watt. Some companies are still trying to market the
perception of quality, but this proves difficult when it is widely
believed that everybody is plugged into the same network of material
and production vendors in the Far East. There is also a perception that
audio quality is mainly a function of speakers (and the skill of the
musicians).

When you refer to SS amps that is largely true. The primary reason for the
difference in price is that pro amps are not advertised in the very
expensive pages of the consumer audio magiazines. Secondary resaons would
include the lack of heatsinking and use of cooling fans on pro amps, which
reduce weight and expense. If the performance factors such as THD, noise,
current capability, IM distortion, channel separation, etc., there is no
reason they should not perform exactly the same as any consumer amp.

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentatig factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype than with
performance.

The big difference is the
perception that quality is related to price, creating a "reverse
elasticity." Other factors include aesthetics, craftsmanship,
ergonomics, and so forth.

Russ Button

Michael McKelvy wrote:

When you refer to SS amps that is largely true. The primary reason for the
difference in price is that pro amps are not advertised in the very
expensive pages of the consumer audio magiazines. Secondary resaons would
include the lack of heatsinking and use of cooling fans on pro amps, which
reduce weight and expense. If the performance factors such as THD, noise,
current capability, IM distortion, channel separation, etc., there is no
reason they should not perform exactly the same as any consumer amp.

Fan noise on a pro amp is *gigantic*! Any pro amp that has a fan is
completely unacceptable in a home environment. What's the point of
having a 100 db signal to noise ratio when the fan puts out 75 db
of noise? I had a QSC amp once that was at least that loud. That's
perfectly OK for a DJ who schleps his rack of gear around and runs
a music mix for 200+ people in a rental hall or gymnasium. It's not
OK for an audiophile home user. Does QSC even make an amp without
a fan?

For a while last year, I had an Hafler Pro 2400 power amp, at 120 wpc.
It had no fan and sounded pretty good. It has a nasty turn-off
transient and ran quite hot, but it sounded OK. The Hafler P1000
amps I'm using now have no turn-on or turn-off transients and
sound terrific. They're also 50 wpc so they don't run anywhere
near as hot either and I like the way they sound.

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentatig factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype than with
performance.

If you take the time to listen to different amps, you do find real
sonic differences. I'm not about to suggest that most pro amps
sound as good as a good audiophile/consumer grade amp. But I do
think it makes good sense to take an honest listen.

Even though we all have champagne tastes, the truth is that the
vast majority of us have budget constraints. My Orion setup requires
8 channels of amplification at approximately 60 watts per channel.
If I were to go with some big name hi-end 2-channel amps at $2000
each, that would be $8000, which is a whole *LOT* more than I could
possibly spend on amplification. And $2000 for a 2-channel amp is
pretty pedestrian compared to the likes of Rowland Research, Krell,
Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, etc. Imagine what it would cost me
to run 4 McIntosh MC275 amps, not to mention the cost to re-tube
every couple of years. It would provide great home heating in the
winter, but would kill me in the summer!

The differences between amplifiers is nowhere near as great as the
differences between loudspeakers. So there may well be a pro amp
that would be a great value for the home user. It would certainly
be interesting to spend a couple of days doing comparitive auditions
with the greats such as McIntosh tube amps, Rowland Research,
Audio Research, more budget minded gear such as Parasound or B&K,
compared to pro line gear (without fans) such as Hafler, Crown (do
they have anything without fans?) and even older Altec pro grade
tube amps.

There are always tradeoffs and constraints to be considered in every
buying decision, price being only one of them. There are also considerations
as to physical space needs vs. availability, as well as cosmetic
appearances. Not every domestic partner would stand for a stack
of Altec pro (green panels, remember) tube amps driving a pair
of Altec A-7's...

The big difference is the

perception that quality is related to price, creating a "reverse
elasticity." Other factors include aesthetics, craftsmanship,
ergonomics, and so forth.

There is truth to this in that the very expensive hi-end stuff
sells. I doubt very much that people in the market for a $10,000
Rowland Research amp will even consider listening to a $1000
Parasound amp. I'd be willing to wager that the sonic differences,
while real, wouldn't be $9000 worth. Frankly, I'd be willing
to set my Orions, driven by my $600 stack of Haflers (OK, I bought
'em on EBay), up against *ANY* commercial loudspeaker driven by
any Rowland Research power amp.

A Lexus is just a gussied up Toyota Camry. They share the same
frame and drive train. But the Lexus has a lot of luxury details
the Camry lacks. The Camry is a very comfortable and reliable
car, but they sure sell a lot at the Lexus dealership!

Russ
Gene Poon

Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

A friend had a couple of Crown DC300As put into a 8 panneled Tympani system
(by Mel Schilling) when those speakers first appeared on the market. There
was also a huge powered vertical standing sub in his system. He loaned one
of the Crowns to me while my Ampzilla went in for one of its many repairs. I
believe the Crown DC300A has seen many satisfactory applications in both
home and pro systems. An exception to the urban legend?
http://www.jands.com.au/jandsweb/audio_crown.html

The Crown DC300 series was an AUDIOPHILE legend, too. I believe it
received raves from Stereophile...the J. Gordon Holt Stereophile.

-Gene Poon
Nousaine

Russ Button wrote:

Michael McKelvy wrote:

[...]

This is a legitimate complaint which is why I love powered speakers and why my
subwoofer amplifier is located in the basement (high powered home amplifiers
often have an unacceptable amount of chassis/power supply noise as well.)

Furthermore many enthusiasts just don't have rack space for any number of
amplifiers anymore. I have 9 program sources, not counting the projector, not
all of which fit in my rack at any one time. Further my biamplified powered
speakers each contain a pair of power amps for a total of 15 power amps
including the subwoofer.

IMO a good case for remotely located amplifiers can easily be made wbich means
that cooling fans need not be a deal killer.

For a while last year, I had an Hafler Pro 2400 power amp, at 120 wpc.
It had no fan and sounded pretty good. It has a nasty turn-off
transient and ran quite hot, but it sounded OK. The Hafler P1000
amps I'm using now have no turn-on or turn-off transients and
sound terrific. They're also 50 wpc so they don't run anywhere
near as hot either and I like the way they sound.

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentatig factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype than with

performance.

If you take the time to listen to different amps, you do find real
sonic differences. I'm not about to suggest that most pro amps
sound as good as a good audiophile/consumer grade amp. But I do
think it makes good sense to take an honest listen.

I'm involved in evaluating home and car audio loudspeakers and own a stable of
12 stand alone home/pro power amplifiers and every one of them sounds exactly
like all the others when each is operated within their power limits driving
loudspeakers in a normally reverberant environment.

I also directly compared a ADCOM car audio amplifier to a Bryston 4B driving a
pair of PSB Stratus Mini speakers. Guess what they sound exactly alike using a
suite of difficult musical programs designed to expose audio system faults.

Even though we all have champagne tastes, the truth is that the
vast majority of us have budget constraints. My Orion setup requires
8 channels of amplification at approximately 60 watts per channel.
If I were to go with some big name hi-end 2-channel amps at $2000
each, that would be $8000, which is a whole *LOT* more than I could
possibly spend on amplification. And $2000 for a 2-channel amp is
pretty pedestrian compared to the likes of Rowland Research, Krell,
Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, etc. Imagine what it would cost me
to run 4 McIntosh MC275 amps, not to mention the cost to re-tube
every couple of years. It would provide great home heating in the
winter, but would kill me in the summer!

The differences between amplifiers is nowhere near as great as the
differences between loudspeakers.

That's for sure! You have to hunt to find a commercially available competently
performing amplifier to find one that sounds different when not driven into
overload.

So there may well be a pro amp
that would be a great value for the home user.

IMO there are plenty of them.

It would certainly
be interesting to spend a couple of days doing comparitive auditions
with the greats such as McIntosh tube amps, Rowland Research,
Audio Research, more budget minded gear such as Parasound or B&K,
compared to pro line gear (without fans) such as Hafler, Crown (do
they have anything without fans?) and even older Altec pro grade
tube amps.

You don't have to turn off the fan for a comparison, just put the amplifier out
of the room.

There are always tradeoffs and constraints to be considered in every
buying decision, price being only one of them. There are also considerations
as to physical space needs vs. availability, as well as cosmetic
appearances. Not every domestic partner would stand for a stack
of Altec pro (green panels, remember) tube amps driving a pair
of Altec A-7's...

The big difference is the

perception that quality is related to price, creating a "reverse
elasticity." Other factors include aesthetics, craftsmanship,
ergonomics, and so forth.

There is truth to this in that the very expensive hi-end stuff
sells. I doubt very much that people in the market for a $10,000
Rowland Research amp will even consider listening to a $1000
Parasound amp.

Their loss. I own 2 Parasounds right now. They sound great.

I'd be willing to wager that the sonic differences,
while real, wouldn't be $9000 worth.

I'd go further and wager that no human could distiguish one from the other
sonically.

Frankly, I'd be willing
to set my Orions, driven by my $600 stack of Haflers (OK, I bought
'em on EBay), up against *ANY* commercial loudspeaker driven by
any Rowland Research power amp.

Good sucker bet. Just try to get a Rowland owner or salesman to submit to a
fair comparison (level matched, bias controlled.)

A Lexus is just a gussied up Toyota Camry. They share the same
frame and drive train. But the Lexus has a lot of luxury details
the Camry lacks. The Camry is a very comfortable and reliable
car, but they sure sell a lot at the Lexus dealership!

Russ

Actually you offer no evidence that a Lexus outsells a Camry because, of
course, it does not. But there are most likely objective differences in
performance, noise levels and, of course, features. I think you are making the
Pro amp pro-argument quite nicely with this example. Why spend more money for a
Lexus when you can get just as good a ride with a Camry? I fully agree.
Russ Button

Nousaine wrote about power amps:

I'd go further and wager that no human could distiguish one from the other
sonically.

I'm going to disagree with you here. I've spent time listening to
power amps and I hear clear differences. Sometimes they're subtle
and something the differences are glaring. I do know that I'm
comfortable with the sound of a good MOSFET amp. I got hooked
on 'em years ago when I first bought a B&K amp.

I remember one evening comparing a Hafler 500, a B&K ST-140 and
an Adcom 545 MKII. The Hafler had more than twice the power of
the other two, and had a nice smoothness to the sound, but
somehow it lacked detail. The Adcom was just plain edgy. The
B&K was clearly the best sounding of the lot.

A couple months ago a friend came by with an interesting selection
of phono preamps. We were listening to a Shure M-65 tube phono
preamp, as well as the phono sections of several good preamps -
Conrad-Johnson, Yamaha, GAS Thoebe and a McIntosh C22. It was
a very interesting evening. Each had a distinctive quality
and the worst of the bunch was the C22!

I'm still using the Shure M-65 and it sounds pretty damn
good.

Russ
Michael McKelvy

Michael McKelvy wrote:

When you refer to SS amps that is largely true. The primary reason for
the difference in price is that pro amps are not advertised in the very
expensive pages of the consumer audio magiazines. Secondary resaons
would include the lack of heatsinking and use of cooling fans on pro
amps, which reduce weight and expense. If the performance factors such
as THD, noise, current capability, IM distortion, channel separation,
etc., there is no reason they should not perform exactly the same as any
consumer amp.

Fan noise on a pro amp is *gigantic*! Any pro amp that has a fan is
completely unacceptable in a home environment.

NOt having used one in my home I can't say how loud the noise might be. I
have however been in homes of audiophiles who keep some of their gear in
closets, where any noise from a fan is unlikely to be heard.

What's the point of
having a 100 db signal to noise ratio when the fan puts out 75 db
of noise? I had a QSC amp once that was at least that loud.

As measured by what? At the volyume levels I like, such noise would be
completely masked, since the spl at my listening position is over 90 dB for
much of what I listen to. Might be a problem for some classical or jazz,
but not likely for Matchbox 20 or Santana.

That's
perfectly OK for a DJ who schleps his rack of gear around and runs
a music mix for 200+ people in a rental hall or gymnasium. It's not
OK for an audiophile home user. Does QSC even make an amp without
a fan?

Not any more, as far as I can see from their website. They did in the past.

For a while last year, I had an Hafler Pro 2400 power amp, at 120 wpc.
It had no fan and sounded pretty good. It has a nasty turn-off
transient and ran quite hot, but it sounded OK. The Hafler P1000
amps I'm using now have no turn-on or turn-off transients and
sound terrific. They're also 50 wpc so they don't run anywhere
near as hot either and I like the way they sound.

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentatig factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype than
with performance.

If you take the time to listen to different amps, you do find real
sonic differences.

I have listened to different amps, and I find that sonic differences tend to
be few and far between. When they exist at all, they are usually because
they were designed to deviate from flat response, were driving speaker loads
that are difficult, or clipping. Flat response is flat response and doesn't
sound different from one amp to the next.

I'm not about to suggest that most pro amps
sound as good as a good audiophile/consumer grade amp.

I would suggest exactly that.

But I do
think it makes good sense to take an honest listen.

It always makes sense to listen but there are some methods of doing so that
are better than others.

Even though we all have champagne tastes, the truth is that the
vast majority of us have budget constraints.

I resemble that remark.

My Orion setup requires
8 channels of amplification at approximately 60 watts per channel.
If I were to go with some big name hi-end 2-channel amps at $2000
each, that would be $8000, which is a whole *LOT* more than I could
possibly spend on amplification. And $2000 for a 2-channel amp is
pretty pedestrian compared to the likes of Rowland Research, Krell,
Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, etc. Imagine what it would cost me
to run 4 McIntosh MC275 amps, not to mention the cost to re-tube
every couple of years. It would provide great home heating in the
winter, but would kill me in the summer!

Other than as a novelty, I have no interest in tubed equipment. I still
remember going to the tube tester at the local Safeway when I was a kid.
I see no reason to move backwards in technology.

The differences between amplifiers is nowhere near as great as the
differences between loudspeakers.

Absolutely. I maintain that speaker technology is one of the final
frontiers is audio, the other being how many will eventually be determined
to be optimum for whatever ambience/surround mode that becomes the eventual
standard.

So there may well be a pro amp
that would be a great value for the home user.

I think there are many, particularly if you can put one where you won't hear
the fan.

It would certainly
be interesting to spend a couple of days doing comparitive auditions
with the greats such as McIntosh tube amps, Rowland Research,
Audio Research, more budget minded gear such as Parasound or B&K,
compared to pro line gear (without fans) such as Hafler, Crown (do
they have anything without fans?) and even older Altec pro grade
tube amps.

As to the SS gear it would be interesting to see the faces of some of the
people who would likely be surprised that they can't hear the difference
between them and say a Rowland or Krell. Properly desinged tubed amps not
driven to clipping should sound pretty much the same as well.

There are always tradeoffs and constraints to be considered in every
buying decision, price being only one of them. There are also
considerations
as to physical space needs vs. availability, as well as cosmetic
appearances. Not every domestic partner would stand for a stack
of Altec pro (green panels, remember) tube amps driving a pair
of Altec A-7's...

Why would someone choose such a partner? :-)

The big difference is the

I doubt very much that people in the market for a $10,000
Rowland Research amp will even consider listening to a $1000
Parasound amp.

If they wish to over spend, that's up to them. I see no reason for it.

I'd be willing to wager that the sonic differences,
while real, wouldn't be $9000 worth.

I be willing to wager they'd be mostly non-detectable.

Frankly, I'd be willing
to set my Orions, driven by my $600 stack of Haflers (OK, I bought
'em on EBay), up against *ANY* commercial loudspeaker driven by
any Rowland Research power amp.

If you can find someone to take that bet, soak them for all you can get. :-)

I find Pro amps to be excellent performers and excellent value.
Most have fans, but there are exceptions. The Crown K1 and K2 offer
tons of power, are rated into loads as low as 2 ohms and have NO fans.
I use a K2 and am very happy with it. The issue of RCA vs XLR can be
solved by a simple cable with RCA on one end and XLR on the other
(although that loses the "balance", so no long cable runs here). Many
audiophile preamps offer balanced XLR output, so that may not be an
issue.

Michael McKelvy wrote:

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating

factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentating factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype

than with
performance.

Agreed. But they are differentiating factors all the same. The belief
in a "price is quality" relationship is fabulous for the industry.
Michael McKelvy

wrote in message
Michael McKelvy wrote:

In consumer electronics, there are simply more differentiating

factors,
thus price becomes less of a driving force.

The differentating factors have more to do with cosmetics and hype

than with
performance.

Agreed. But they are differentiating factors all the same. The belief
in a "price is quality" relationship is fabulous for the industry.

But not for the consumer. Someday, hopefully the consumer will wise up
enough to know that for the most part ams are amps and perhaps go on to
learn that stones aren't tweaks.

Hey, I can dream can't I?
Giles Stewart

In article , Russ Button
wrote:

Fan noise on a pro amp is *gigantic*! Any pro amp that has a fan is
completely unacceptable in a home environment. What's the point of
having a 100 db signal to noise ratio when the fan puts out 75 db
of noise?

Then Just disconnect the fan!

That is what I did about 17 years ago on my Perreaux 6000B. I am still
using it. Puts out 300wpch, but in a domestic setting it is rare for
the heatsinks to get beyond slightly warm.

Many recording studios use pro amps to drive their monitors so I do not
give any credit to the statement that audio quality is way down the
list of engineering criteria.

Giles
Russ Button

Giles Stewart wrote:
In article , Russ Button
wrote:

Fan noise on a pro amp is *gigantic*!

Then Just disconnect the fan!

That is what I did about 17 years ago on my Perreaux 6000B. I am still
using it. Puts out 300wpch, but in a domestic setting it is rare for
the heatsinks to get beyond slightly warm.

Are you saying that you have 300 wpc and you're not actually
driving the amp hard enough to use 300 wpc? Why get an amp
with that much power then?

I once had a Hafler Pro2400 power amp at 120 wpc and it ran
very hot. There was no fan, and it sounded pretty good, but
it ran very hot. You wouldn't want to stack several of them
together in a multi-amp setup.

Many recording studios use pro amps to drive their monitors so I do not
give any credit to the statement that audio quality is way down the
list of engineering criteria.

Recording studio requirements are entirely different from home audio
requirements. In a studio, the big thing is saving space. You get all
rack mount gear because it takes up less space. You're never going to
see a professional studio with the likes of Krell, Rowland Research, or
any of the fine tube amps that people like for home use.

The point I've been trying to make all along is that equipment is
engineered for specific reasons and to a price point. Compromises
are always made. That's what engineering is. In the case of pro audio,
the design criteria are durability in the face of physical and signal
abuse, and taking up the minimal amount of rack mount space. Sonic
quality is down the list.

Hi-end home audio equipment is engineered for sonics first. The
second criterial in design of home audio gear is appearances. If
you're going to ask the outrageous sums that these manufacturers
do, then you have to appeal to design esthetic which screams "ego".
How else do you see rack handles on amps that don't rack mount?
Why else do you see 1/2" thick brass plate on the front of an amp.
Certain manufacturers have a signiture look - Rowland Research and
McIntosh come to mind.

You are suggesting that pro amps sound just as good as the very expensive
hi-end amps, and that it's a waste of money to spend more than the $800
or $1000 you spend on a high powered pro amp. This is where we disagree.

If you were to take a pair of Avalon Eidolon loudspeakers ($35k/pair)
and carefully listen to them being driven by your Perreaux amp, and
then by any number of other home audiophile grade amps, you'd hear
some significant differences. Even with other less expensive audiophile
grade loudspeakers, there would be significant differences. The Avalon
line in particular, has extraordinary imaging. They really do "disappear"
in a room, which is why people spend enormous sums for them.

You'd find that your Perreaux amp would perform differently in terms
of timbre, tonal balance and imaging. You may or may not prefer it,
but it will be different.

I run a tri-amped loudspeaker, which actually requires four stereo power
amps, not three. So my costs are four times what it would be for someone
else. I only need 60 wpc for my amps, but that's still a lot of money
potentially. They also have to be identical amps, which is part of the
loudspeaker designer's criteria. Four amps take up a lot of space.
So what I use are pro-grade, Hafler P1000 amps. 1U pancakes which I
rack mount, with 1U spacers between them for cooling. They're a
MOSFET amp and have that characteristic MOSFET sound, which I happen
to like.

Would my system sound different/better if I were to run four Rowland Research
amps, or four Audio Research D150 tube amps, or four Cary Audio tube amps?
That would be fun to try. But until my hi-tech startup gets funded, grows
to $50 million in annual sales, I become worth $millions and move into a
home with a living room twice as big, then I won't be trying out all those
cool amps anytime soon.

Can you imagine how much space four Audio Research D150 amps would take up?
Can you imagine how hard it would be to find four Audio Research 150 amps to buy?
Can you imagine how much heat four Audio Research D150 amps would make?
Can you imagine how much it would cost to re-tube four D150 amps?

I picked up the Haflers on EBay for about $125 each. That's a total amp
stack for $600. Not bad, and I do have to say it sounds pretty damn good.
In fact, I feel my system sounds as good as anything I've ever heard, at
any price. But would it sound different/better with something more
hi-end? That would be fun to find out.

I believe that amps do sound different, though not to the degree that
loudspeakers do. I also believe that there are situations where a pro amp
is actually superior for home use, even over high end amps like the ones
I've mentioned above. Specifically home amps can be subjected to severe
signal abuse when run into difficult loads, such as those presented by
electrostatic loudspeakers. A pro amp has protection circuitry built-in
that would sustain it during those rare circumstances where something
went badly wrong.

I used to run X-Static loudspeakers, which were wonderful, but deadly
to an amp under the wrong circumstances. I had a home-brew tube preamp
I was running that had the power supply go bad. I took it to a fine
engineer here in the SF Bay Area and among other things, he re-engineered
the power supply. When I picked it up, he was running it and it sounded
great. But when I plugged it in at home, my B&K MOSFET power amp got fried.
He'd made a mistake in his power supply design and inadvertantly created
a megahertz oscillation in the preamp. That wasn't a problem at his place
because he was running it into a tube power amp, which was driving a simple
dynamic speaker on his bench.

At home, it was a very different story. An electrostatic loudspeaker presents
a load to an amp that looks like a big capacitor. The impedence rises
dramatically with frequency, so it takes a good solid state amp with a
lot of current capability to properly drive it. But with a megahertz
oscillation going through the amp, it just bounces back from the loudspeaker
and fries the outputs of a consumer grade amp immediately. I've seen
this make of loudspeaker fry any number of consumer grade amps, including
two I owned. That was part of the risk of getting the great sound these
things had.

Today I would only drive those speakers with a pro grade amp because of its
ability to withstand signal abuse, and I'd get a big one with plenty of
current capability. But it would run hot, so the amp would need large cooling
fins and plenty of space around it. Your Perreaux probably wouldn't fit
the bill as it came with a fan to begin with, and probably doesn't have
sufficient passive cooling. I sold the X-Statics with that Hafler Pro2400
amp and it sounded pretty good.

You'd think I'm making your point here, but I'm not. I'm saying that a
pro-grade amp at home is appropriate when the situation calls for it.
I do believe that there are sonic differences between amps, but circumstances
sometimes dictate that sonic qualities can be of lesser importance than
equipment safety or constraints of space and/or budget.

Russ Button

Stewart Pinkerton

On 16 Feb 2005 00:35:08 GMT, Russ Button wrote:

Hi-end home audio equipment is engineered for sonics first. The
second criterial in design of home audio gear is appearances.

You'll find that in the real commercial world, these priorities are in
fact reversed - whatever the adverts and the sycophantic ragazine
'reviewers' may say.

If
you're going to ask the outrageous sums that these manufacturers
do, then you have to appeal to design esthetic which screams "ego".
How else do you see rack handles on amps that don't rack mount?
Why else do you see 1/2" thick brass plate on the front of an amp.
Certain manufacturers have a signiture look - Rowland Research and
McIntosh come to mind.

Quite so. All sizzle, and the same steak as everyone else. USDA prime,
certainly, but there's lots of that on the market, and it doesn't have
to be wrapped in gold foil to taste good.................

You are suggesting that pro amps sound just as good as the very expensive
hi-end amps, and that it's a waste of money to spend more than the $800
or $1000 you spend on a high powered pro amp. This is where we disagree.

Do you have any *proof* to back up your assertion? This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

If you were to take a pair of Avalon Eidolon loudspeakers ($35k/pair)
and carefully listen to them being driven by your Perreaux amp, and
then by any number of other home audiophile grade amps, you'd hear
some significant differences.

No, you would not, given that all the amps can produce adequate power.

Even with other less expensive audiophile
grade loudspeakers, there would be significant differences. The Avalon
line in particular, has extraordinary imaging. They really do "disappear"
in a room, which is why people spend enormous sums for them.

Indeed so - and they can be driven by any competent amplifier. It's
the *speaker* that makes the difference.

MINe 109

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Stephen

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to

tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his

own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Sure--just as soon as you come up with an anecdote about someone who
was sober, using a working switchbox (or no switchbox!), would COULD
hear such a difference.

Otherwise, all you're doing is making excuses.

bob
Russ Button

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 16 Feb 2005 00:35:08 GMT, Russ Button wrote:
You are suggesting that pro amps sound just as good as the very expensive
hi-end amps, and that it's a waste of money to spend more than the $800
or $1000 you spend on a high powered pro amp. This is where we disagree.

Do you have any *proof* to back up your assertion?

Only my own experience. But I do believe that not everyone
hears things the same way, and it may well be that others
would not hear the same things I do.

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

I wish I could have been there for that. Where I typically
hear differences is in things like clarity and tonal balance.
Mind you, the differences are not always very striking, but
they are there.

If you were to take a pair of Avalon Eidolon loudspeakers ($35k/pair)
and carefully listen to them being driven by your Perreaux amp, and
then by any number of other home audiophile grade amps, you'd hear
some significant differences.

No, you would not, given that all the amps can produce adequate power.

I went to Las Vegas CES last month and went into a couple of different
suites that had Avalon Eidolon loudspeakers. While there was a lot
of similarity, there were also audible differences between the two
presentations. At least to my ear. Of course being in two different
rooms may well have had something to do with it too. I listened to the
same recordings all day long and came away with a pretty clear idea of
what sounded like what.

Even with other less expensive audiophile
grade loudspeakers, there would be significant differences. The Avalon
line in particular, has extraordinary imaging. They really do "disappear"
in a room, which is why people spend enormous sums for them.

Indeed so - and they can be driven by any competent amplifier. It's
the *speaker* that makes the difference.

I'm sure they can be driven by "any competent amplifier", but I do
contend that many people will hear differences between amplifiers.
I also believe that the differences will not necessarily be huge.
Whether an individual is willing to spend more to have one amplifier
versus another is a personal decision.

I've never owned a real hi-ticket amp. I've never had the megabucks
to do it. I've always purchased used gear or other "good value"
products. I ran a B&K ST-140 for 17 years and enjoyed it until it
finally died and was too expensive to repair. I've always put the
bulk of my money into my speakers, which is what I think is where
the value is in audio.

I agree with you that the majority of audio quality is in the speakers,
but I disagree that there aren't differences in amplifiers. That being
said, I think that if you carefully choose amongst the lower priced
amplifiers you'd find something highly satisfying. I think that the
big megabuck amps are for those people who have enough wealth to where
the price tag is irrelevant, and what's wrong with that?

I don't think there's anything you do with a car that can't be
satisfied with a less expensive car like a Saturn. Go to your
local Saturn dealer and they have little cars, mid-sized cars
and SUVs. A car gets you from here to there, keeps you dry in
the rain, keeps you warm while you drive in the winter, keeps
you cool when you drive in the summer, and has enough room
for groceries. There's very, very little anyone really needs
from a car that they couldn't get from a Saturn product. But
somehow people seem to buy a lot of cars that are more expensive
than Saturns.

Both Behringer and Gemini make pro grade power amps with at least
200 wpc at 8 ohms, for less than $300 new. They both use fans, so
for home use you'd have to disconnect the fans, hoping they would
run sufficiently cool under normal home usage. A similar Peavy
amp can be had for about $650.

I'm partial to Hafler amps, but their comparable 200 wpc, fanless
amp is about $1000. They have sufficient heat sinks that you could
run these at home without worry. The Parasound HCA-1500 is a 200wpc
amp that retails for about $800. A Hafler DH-500 can readily be
found on the used market for about $450 or so. A Dynaco 400 can
probably be had for $250.

The question I'd put to you is which of these amps you'd run. Do
you believe that there are any sonic differences between them? Is
a Dyna 400 all the amp anyone could want?

Russ Button

Stewart Pinkerton

On 17 Feb 2005 01:04:06 GMT, MINe 109

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Zip certainly *claimed* to be hungover - at a test of his professional
reputation which had been arranged for weeks.............

The first set of trials did not use the box, the second set took place
on the following day, so all parties were definitely rested and sober,
the only 'fault' was an occasional failure to switch when commanded,
and all three of Zip, Gigi and an audiophile friend of Zip totally
failed to tell any difference. I have also performed many such
comparisons, with similar results in most cases. Isn't it time to put
the myth of 'amplifier sound' to rest?

"MINe 109" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Hungover? Why would someone drink himself sick when he knows he's going to
take a test the next day? Maybe he wasn't hungover. Maybe it was just an
excuse.

Norm Strong

Codifus

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
. . . .
Do you have any *proof* to back up your assertion? This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.
. . .

But then, that's a consumer amp verses a consumer amp

CD
Norman M. Schwartz

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Quite so. All sizzle, and the same steak as everyone else. USDA prime,
certainly, but there's lots of that on the market, and it doesn't have
to be wrapped in gold foil to taste good.................

IWC does put their Portuguese in in Rose Gold case. If I had the bucks, I'd
go for it; I'm only going to live once!
Steven Sullivan

MINe 109 wrote:
In article , wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to

tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his

own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Sure--just as soon as you come up with an anecdote about someone who
was sober, using a working switchbox (or no switchbox!), would COULD
hear such a difference.

No, I don't think that's necessary. Why defend such a questionable test?

Why misrepresent the test the way you've done? That's rather questionable
behavior itself.

If Stewart is going to trot out the tired and discredited "experienced
high-end dealer" wheeze,

The only things dsicredited those trials -- which AIUI tested not only
Steve Zipser, but two other listeners as well -- was the claim that
the cables and amps could be reliably told apart by the parties involved,
based on sound alone, under conditions that were blind but
otherwise of the listener's choosing. This claim was Steve Zipser's.

But surely Tom Nousaine himself could give you a better account, either
here,, or in the dozens of posts that have appeared about this tests
on Usenet since they were held.

Steven Sullivan

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

This game has been
played before, and a very experienced high-end dealer failed to tell
any difference between a $12,000 pair of Pass Labs Aleph 1.2
monoblocs, and an old Yamaha integrated amplifier. This was in his own
room, with his own 'reference' system and his own choice of music.

Hungover, and with a defective comparator box that broke before
completing the test. Isn't it time to declare this anecdote
'inoperative'?

Zip certainly *claimed* to be hungover - at a test of his professional
reputation which had been arranged for weeks.............

Reading over Tom's reports of the trial, it also appears Zip tried to
weasel out of the trials...not answering the phone, closing up shop
at the time the first meeting was to take place, balking at level-matching...
not exactly encouraging behaviour.

The first set of trials did not use the box, the second set took place
on the following day, so all parties were definitely rested and sober,
the only 'fault' was an occasional failure to switch when commanded,
and all three of Zip, Gigi and an audiophile friend of Zip totally
failed to tell any difference. I have also performed many such
comparisons, with similar results in most cases. Isn't it time to put
the myth of 'amplifier sound' to rest?

It should also be kept ever in mind that Zip claimed he could easily
tell 'his' favorites from other components, due to his familiarity with
them as a dealer. He failed to do so, using both cable-switching and an
ABX switchbox, in *his* listening room using *his* 'familiar' gear
in the tests.

Even if the test was flawed -- and a manual cable-switching
protocol is certainly not ideal -- what happened to the
'easily' heard difference? A manual cable switch isn't
*more* flawed than a typical sighted comparison, the sort
where Zip claimed to excel at 'picking' his amps from others.

--

-S
If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,
Stewart Pinkerton

On 18 Feb 2005 00:27:00 GMT, MINe 109
wrote:

If Stewart is going to trot out the tired and discredited "experienced
high-end dealer" wheeze, he should be truthful and say, "hungover
experienced high-end dealer with a broken comparator and a last-minute
substitution of DUT." Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

How about *claimed* he was hungover (in preparation for a comparison
where he *knew* his perception was to be tested? Yeah, riiight...)
experienced high-end dealer who couldn't tell the difference without
the comparator box, which he then requested for the next day? The box
worked fine, apart from sometimes not switching immediately on
command. And none of the three experienced audiophiles in the test
could tell the difference. *Those* are the facts, so why are *you* so
desperate to discredit this test, while showing *no* evidence of any
such test with a *positive* result? Is it because you already *know*
that 'amplifier sound' is a myth?

Stewart Pinkerton

On 18 Feb 2005 00:34:55 GMT, "Norman M. Schwartz"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Quite so. All sizzle, and the same steak as everyone else. USDA prime,
certainly, but there's lots of that on the market, and it doesn't have
to be wrapped in gold foil to taste good.................

IWC does put their Portuguese in in Rose Gold case. If I had the bucks, I'd
go for it; I'm only going to live once!

But they also put the 5001 movement in a steel case, giving identical
performance at half the price.

I'm pretty sure that no one ever claimed that the rose gold version
kept better time. Now, regarding the beautifully turned faceplates on
Jeff Rowland amps, do you think they improve the sound? Why can't you
buy a JR, or Mark Levinson, amp in a pressed steel case at half the
price? You can of course by a Pass Labs amp at half the price - it's
called an Adcom............. :-)

MINe 109

wrote:

If Stewart is going to trot out the tired and discredited "experienced
high-end dealer" wheeze, he should be truthful and say, "hungover
experienced high-end dealer with a broken comparator and a last-minute
substitution of DUT." Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

How about *claimed* he was hungover (in preparation for a comparison
where he *knew* his perception was to be tested? Yeah, riiight...)

Okay, and, yes, not too smart prep-wise.

experienced high-end dealer who couldn't tell the difference without
the comparator box, which he then requested for the next day? The box
worked fine, apart from sometimes not switching immediately on
command. And none of the three experienced audiophiles in the test
could tell the difference. *Those* are the facts, so why are *you* so
desperate to discredit this test, while showing *no* evidence of any
such test with a *positive* result? Is it because you already *know*
that 'amplifier sound' is a myth?

Slow down! He claimed the box broke so that he couldn't finish the last
set choices. This test barely qualifies as an anecdote.

FWIW, I don't care whether he could hear differences or not. When
someone shows that the test can show real differences with music, then
I'll worry about the lack of positives.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some tunes on the Quads powered by my $250
integrated amp and commodity wire.

Stephen

MINe 109 wrote:

FWIW, I don't care whether he could hear differences or not. When
someone shows that the test can show real differences with music,

then
I'll worry about the lack of positives.

What, you think no psychoacoustics researcher has ever used musical
passages in a DBT? How do you think they test perceptual codecs?
Wouldn't do much good to test a codec with pink noise and sine waves,
would it?

bob

Norman M. Schwartz

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

I'm pretty sure that no one ever claimed that the rose gold version
kept better time. Now, regarding the beautifully turned faceplates on
Jeff Rowland amps, do you think they improve the sound? Why can't you
buy a JR, or Mark Levinson, amp in a pressed steel case at half the
price? You can of course by a Pass Labs amp at half the price - it's
called an Adcom............. :-)
--

Right, no one does claim better accuracy from rose gold or better sound from
beautifully turned faceplates,
Steven Sullivan

MINe 109 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's been shown dozens, perhaps hundreds, of times.
Even with cables, if they're different enough folr it to
matter audibly. Hell, Floyd Toole uses it to test speakers
at Harman Kardon/JBL. So start worrying.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Feb 2005 00:51:48 GMT, MINe 109
wrote:

(about the 'Sunshine Trials'):

He claimed the box broke so that he couldn't finish the last
set choices. This test barely qualifies as an anecdote.

The test worked fine when you look at what actually occurred, as
opposed to what Zip claimed much later. You should note that
immediately after the test, he acknowledged that he had been beaten
fair and square. It was only a couple of weeks later (sales dropping
off, perhaps?) that he changed his story.

FWIW, I don't care whether he could hear differences or not. When
someone shows that the test can show real differences with music, then
I'll worry about the lack of positives.

If you pick a genuinely poor amp, it does. Indeed, I have posted
positive results of amplifier comparisons. Try it with an SET.....

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some tunes on the Quads powered by my $250
integrated amp and commodity wire.

And why not? It's all about the music!

MINe 109

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Me:
FWIW, I don't care whether he could hear differences or not. When
someone shows that the test can show real differences with music, then
I'll worry about the lack of positives.

That's been shown dozens, perhaps hundreds, of times.
Even with cables, if they're different enough folr it to
matter audibly.

Even then? :-)

Hell, Floyd Toole uses it to test speakers
at Harman Kardon/JBL. So start worrying.

Is that the same facility Sean Olive uses? I recall someone posting that
he published a paper that included describing the process of screening
listers for the ability to detect differences.

I read a more interesting point in the new Stereophile about blind tests
of colas in which neural images showed that when tasters were told the
names of the drinks different parts of their brains were engaged,
perhaps because of the associations, memories, etc brought about. There
were no real differences, but the differences were real! Listening to
music could very well be similar. I would be open to this type of
bridging the gap: assuming identical sound (everybody happy?) could
yield differing perceptions that are measurably real.

No worries,

Stephen