Hi fi fan

Default Align Laser assembly in rare Pioneer Elite PDS-95 Stable platter transport

I own a rare Pioneer Elite PDS-95, a CD transport based upon the
Pioneer PD-65 and Pioneer PD-75, using the stable platter system. (see
pix and short info at http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/pd-s95.htm )

I recently had a shop replace the laser assembly, but they are not
competent to perform an alignment of the laser assembly. (They did try
without success). I have the original service manual with microfiche,
but I cannot seem to find a shop with the experience to complete this
process. I have been told it is a bit more complex than with standard
cd players.

I tried contacting Pioneer for a reference, but they were of no help,
directing me to their web site where they list lots of places, none of
which seems to know this unit or its cousin, the PD-65.

Any one out there with experience or a reference?
Mark D. Zacharias

"Hi fi fan" wrote in message
om...
I own a rare Pioneer Elite PDS-95, a CD transport based upon the
Pioneer PD-65 and Pioneer PD-75, using the stable platter system. (see
pix and short info at http://www.elitestereo.netfirms.com/pd-s95.htm )

I recently had a shop replace the laser assembly, but they are not
competent to perform an alignment of the laser assembly. (They did try
without success). I have the original service manual with microfiche,
but I cannot seem to find a shop with the experience to complete this
process. I have been told it is a bit more complex than with standard
cd players.

I tried contacting Pioneer for a reference, but they were of no help,
directing me to their web site where they list lots of places, none of
which seems to know this unit or its cousin, the PD-65.

Any one out there with experience or a reference?

I'm reasonably good with Pioneer's. Only ever did one PD-65, though, and the
laser alignment was good right out of the box. Maybe I was just lucky.
Grating alignments can be a bitch. There are several "peaks" in the output,
all of which work, but only one will provide consistent results. Service
literature is not too much help. After all, what is a "smooth null" anyway?
My shop is Pioneer authorized in Wichita KS.

Mark Z.

Robert Gault

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
snip
I'm reasonably good with Pioneer's. Only ever did one PD-65, though, and the
laser alignment was good right out of the box. Maybe I was just lucky.
Grating alignments can be a bitch. There are several "peaks" in the output,
all of which work, but only one will provide consistent results. Service
literature is not too much help. After all, what is a "smooth null" anyway?
My shop is Pioneer authorized in Wichita KS.

Mark Z.

Was the "correct" setting in the middle of the adjustment range for peak
output or did some other parameter indicate the optimal adjustment?

Mark D. Zacharias

"Robert Gault" wrote in message
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
snip
I'm reasonably good with Pioneer's. Only ever did one PD-65, though, and
the laser alignment was good right out of the box. Maybe I was just
lucky. Grating alignments can be a bitch. There are several "peaks" in
the output, all of which work, but only one will provide consistent
results. Service literature is not too much help. After all, what is a
"smooth null" anyway?
My shop is Pioneer authorized in Wichita KS.

Mark Z.

Was the "correct" setting in the middle of the adjustment range for peak
output or did some other parameter indicate the optimal adjustment?

It's near the middle of the adjustment. I'll usually take 3 discs, a factory
music disc, a CD-R, and a karaoke CD. When it reliably plays all three I'm
done.

Mark Z.

JVC dude

Hi
Most of the procedures quoted in the manuals can be forgotten, focus,
tracking etc until you get the thing actually playing!
I've done dozens of these over the years and ~EVERY new laser needed its
grating setting correctly
gripe -gripe- here in the UK the lasers cost 3 times most other
manufacturers and never come setup - gripe gripe

the procedure I use is basically as follows:

1 put unit in test mode (press switch/ short contacts whilst powering up).
Also if the pots have been twiddled , mark where they were and then centre
them

2 run sled out to around 2/3 - 3/4 way to expose the grating adjust plate
shuttle button on front

3 turn on laser, focus servo and tracking servo (buttons vary- see manual)

your disc should Ideally spin now whilst noise is heard from the servos. A
scope can then measure the EFM/rf/eye pattern

4 you should have about .75volts p-p

5 CAREFULLY! adjust the grating to get the highest peak output. dont worry
if it goes haywire in between peaks, just keep pressing stop, then resetting
servos on. I say carefully since there are usually 3 points that are
'useable' and if its the laser with the sliding metal plate adjuster it has
a habit of pinging loose when moved to much. once you're happy you're on the
top peak then a bit of judicious setting of the other servos can be
attempted.

Hopefully now when you close the final servo (pause key I think) music
should be heard and if it skips then tracking offset/gain can be adjusted.

It is somewhat of a black magic art difficult to put into words.
Don't forget if its set on the wrong peak it will play but compatibility etc
will be very poor

Good luck
Andrew