Ringo

Default XM VS Sirius .... Plus a DEH-P850MP Question

I know, I know...just thought I would ask. Does anyone have
experience with both?

Plus...does anyone know if any head units display satellite info like
the Audiovox or Delphi units? Seems like most of the units don't even
display the name of the stream...just the number. Am I wrong?
Plus...can the retailer I visited be wrong?.....Is there no way to
turn off all the moving crap on the display of the DEH-P850MP. Call
me silly but why would I ever want a guy on a Jet Ski on my car deck?
Why?

Thanks

Eddie Runner

Ringo wrote:

I know, I know...just thought I would ask. Does anyone have
experience with both?

I use both Sirius and XM in my Tahoe and they are both pretty great!

Plus...does anyone know if any head units display satellite info like
the Audiovox or Delphi units? Seems like most of the units don't even
display the name of the stream...just the number. Am I wrong?

Yes, most headunits can display channel number and channel name or
artist or song title , on the pioneer units you page through each thing
with
the push of a button...

Plus...can the retailer I visited be wrong?.....Is there no way to
turn off all the moving crap on the display of the DEH-P850MP.

Yes you can turn it all off.... You use the button to cyvle through all
the movies and pictures till you come to a blank screen then you will
only have the info you want with no pictures...

Call
me silly but why would I ever want a guy on a Jet Ski on my car deck?
Why?

I keep mine turned off unless I am showing a customer...

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

Brad

I am new to satellite radio, just found out that head units can be
enabled to pick up satellite signals. Is the signal digital? Does it
sound as good as a CD?

Brad.
Ringo

Thanks for the info Eddie....

The other response adds another question...Since the stream is
compressed, am I going to hear a difference between a Head Unit with
its built in (outboard box feeding the unit directly) receiver and the
same head unit getting the signal from an RF unit?

Thanks
Bill Pallies

Yes... FM does not have the dynamic range nor the frequency spectrum
(20-20,000 Hz) as CD does. Why am I comparing FM to CD? I've never heard
satellite radio, so I am just assuming it is comparable to CD and am basing
my answer on that. Whomever has better info on the sound quality of
satellite, please correct me or confirm my suspicions.

Put it another way, XM is supposed to sound better than FM, and part of the
limitations of FM is the signal format itself. Therefore, this seems to me
like CD changers through FM or CD players through cassette adapters.

-Bill

"Ringo" wrote in message
m...
Thanks for the info Eddie....

The other response adds another question...Since the stream is
compressed, am I going to hear a difference between a Head Unit with
its built in (outboard box feeding the unit directly) receiver and the
same head unit getting the signal from an RF unit?

Thanks

David

The sound is cleaner than FM, but not quite "CD quality''.

Sirius, however, uses very advanced Orban Optimod processors which
frequently make the radio sound better than the original due to better
spectral balancing.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:46:01 GMT, "Bill Pallies"
wrote:

Yes... FM does not have the dynamic range nor the frequency spectrum
(20-20,000 Hz) as CD does. Why am I comparing FM to CD? I've never heard
satellite radio, so I am just assuming it is comparable to CD and am basing
my answer on that. Whomever has better info on the sound quality of
satellite, please correct me or confirm my suspicions.

Put it another way, XM is supposed to sound better than FM, and part of the
limitations of FM is the signal format itself. Therefore, this seems to me
like CD changers through FM or CD players through cassette adapters.

-Bill

om...