Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Default hiding the head unit

I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10" wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have to
recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Also, I personally keep my head units loose (not screwed down) like
you're describing. One of the times my deck was stolen, it was screwed
in pretty tight (I remember doing it, thinking that any thief would be
all ****ed off and/or not be able to get the deck, and being very proud
of myself). You know what happened? The mother****er that stole that
deck split my goddamn dashboard with a crowbar!! After that, I decided
that no deck was worth a whole new dash - so I don't tighten mine down
anymore. If they want it, they'll take it - and I'd rather there were
less collateral damage.
~Mister.Lull
puttster wrote:
I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10" wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have to
recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

Mister.Lull wrote:
Also, I personally keep my head units loose (not screwed down) like
you're describing. One of the times my deck was stolen, it was screwed
in pretty tight (I remember doing it, thinking that any thief would be
all ****ed off and/or not be able to get the deck, and being very proud
of myself). You know what happened? The mother****er that stole that
deck split my goddamn dashboard with a crowbar!! After that, I decided
that no deck was worth a whole new dash - so I don't tighten mine down
anymore. If they want it, they'll take it - and I'd rather there were
less collateral damage.

I stuck a head unit behind a cupholder. There is no more cupholder, but
the front is still there and removable to gain access to the headunit.
There are a couple of holes in the cover so the remote control works
and the unit is concelled usually. The factory headunit is clearly
visable and the clock works. You don't usually need to look at a head
unit anyway. My old unit is nothing to look at anyway, but that Pioneer
Premier head unit cost me $450 about 13 years ago. Another $350 for the
CD changer.

greg

I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10" wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have to
recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

I GUESS YOU GUYS NEVER HEARD OF A REMOVABLE FACE ON A UNIT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

you dont remove them everytime....
just when in a place thats likely to get robbed.
or at nite.
dont try to make it harder than it is.

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Don't let Bob get to you, he's our resident troll... Most people have
gone about blocking (filtering out) his posts, so that they won't be
tempted to give him fodder. The less we respond to him, the better,
and hopefully the sooner he will go away.
~Mister.Lull
puttster wrote:
idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

all the people that block me are just mad cause i made them look stupid.
which isnt hard to do.lol
LOL......

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

Well .... in this case I don't see where he said anything bad. In fact I
agree with him on this issue. Exactly what is the problem with his opinion
on this ?

- RG

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't let Bob get to you, he's our resident troll... Most people have
gone about blocking (filtering out) his posts, so that they won't be
tempted to give him fodder. The less we respond to him, the better,
and hopefully the sooner he will go away.
~Mister.Lull
puttster wrote:
idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

And what may your opinion be on the issue .... whoever you are.

- RG

"puttster" wrote in message
idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.car
metal_flowboard metal_flowboard is offline

puttster wrote:
I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10" wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have to
recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

couldnt you just use the piece you already have, and just router bits
of it?

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

"metal_flowboard" wrote in message
ups.com...

puttster wrote:
I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the

head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10"

wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have

recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the

console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

couldnt you just use the piece you already have, and just router bits
of it?

Do you mean recess the radio slightly and still use the cut-out to cobver it
but cut a hole in it for the knob to fit through?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

I think rather than cutting a hole for the knob, he means make a
'shallow' spot in the piece of wood for the knob. That way the
outside's still flush, but there's room for the knob. That way you can
still use the same wood you used to make the enclosure.
The problem with this is that you're using 1/4 inch plywood, right?
I don't think that it'll be any easy task shallowing out 1/4 inch
plywood and still making it pleasant to look at... Personally I
wouldn't be working with plywood at all, but that's because I don't
care for it to begin with. The fact that you've chosen to work with
this material makes me assume that you're either comfortable working
with it, or that you had it lying around and didn't give much thought
to what else (if anything) you might make this enclosure out of.
Sorry. That's not the point here, is it?
Moving back to helping you...
How are you covering/finishing this plywood deck extension? Is it to
be painted or covered in something? What if you "stylized" the covor
to accomodate the knob? What if you did something funny, like make a
'fake' faceplate for a stereo out of the covor piece (like a child
painted a picture of a stereo) and incorporated the actual knob into
it? Or instead how about you make the covor plate a little more
3-dimensional by making part of it protrude out to make space for the
head unit - either part of the covor, or the whole thing?
There are a multitude of ways you can make this work. You are limited
by the materials you can/choose to work with, your skill with said
materials, and your imagination.
~Mister.Lull

puttster wrote:
I'm building a console that will have a piece of 1/4" ply holding the

head
unit. The wood extends about 7" down from the dash and is about 10"

wide.
To hide the unit I was going to recess it and keep the cut-out piece to
cover the hole. However, I see now that the knob is so big I would have

recess the unit too deeply.

My backup plan is to leave the unit loose for the taking because the

console
is going to end up being way more valuable than the radio.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

couldnt you just use the piece you already have, and just router bits
of it?

Do you mean recess the radio slightly and still use the cut-out to cobver it
but cut a hole in it for the knob to fit through?

Posted to rec.audio.car
metal_flowboard metal_flowboard is offline

Yeah i mean a "shallow spot" as you put it

Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Thank you all. and esp Mr Lull, yes your protrude idea might work out.
when i shut the engine off I slap the faux cover up there, and cover the
radio, maybe with a *cupholder* or a set of fake rocker switches?

You are right about the ply, my local did not have MDF. But now I see why
no one recommends ply. For one thing it splinters all along the cut and
another, you can glue it all you want but it will only hold as tight as the
top layer of veneer.

As for covering: I have finished the fiberglass shell, which covers the
hump, the firewall and under the dash. And I finished the sides and end cap
(It is for a bench seat galaxie). So I have the two pieces of plywood
fitted in; the lower one for cupholders and the upper (angled) one for the
radio. I didn't think I would get this far so now that I am here I don't
actually have a decent plan for finishing it!

Putts

ps.com...

puttster wrote:
[...]

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
JVC Head Unit Help Jcasey22 Car Audio 0 January 3rd 05 08:04 PM
My Wishlist for MP3 Head Unit hurricane51 Car Audio 8 October 14th 03 01:58 PM
help connecting power to 2nd head unit Paul Vina Car Audio 1 July 9th 03 08:34 PM
gps install: how to mix its audio (voice prompting) with head unit audio-out? bryan Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 05:46 PM