Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Sub Amps - a Follow up Question

OK, I have been looking into an amp to go between my (new to me) passive
sub and my (6 mo old) A/V Receiver.

The Receiver has a single SUB output jack, but the speaker enclosure has
both L & R inputs, in fact it has outputs as well for I assume satellite
speakers if I so choose. (We'll ignore those.)

My plan is to add this sub to an existing setup that already had decent
Front, Center and Surround speakers.

My question this time around is how best to deal with a single Sub
Output from the source through an Amp and on to a Stereo (perhaps dual
voice coiled?) Subwoofer.

Here's what I've brainstormed already:

- Run just one channel of the Amp and the Sub, ignoring the other
winding in the speaker & the other channel of the amp.

- Find an Amp that will accept a single input and will in turn output to
stereo.

- Same as option #1, but use both speaker windings, basically changing
the Ohms rating.

- Find a Mono Amp and A) Use just one winding in the speaker, or of
course B) Single in, Single out but use both windings on the Sub.

What say ye?

TBerk