scubakyle

Default Help Please

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee. I put a JVC cd player in it a few years ago.
It worked really well for a long time. Last year, I think, it started
to every once in a while not play anything through the speakers. It has
some bars that go up and down to show that music is playing, and those
will work and the cd player will look fine, just nothing will come out
of the speakers. This happens with the radio, too.

It seems to get into grumpy moods because it'll be fine for a few weeks
or even months, then for a few days I won't know when I can listen to
cds or the radio. One thing that I noticed is that it will sometimes
happen when I turn up the radio sort of loud, but not extremely loud
(for example, it often does this when I have my windows rolled down and
I have to turn up the volume a little).

When it does do this, it will just be silent in my car for a few
minutes and then the music will come back. But, if I touch a button (to
change the channel, change tracts on the cd, or change from cd to FM)
most of the time it will go out again. This is extremely frustrating.

Yesterday and today have been extremely bad. Is there anything that I
can do? Would getting a new stereo (I really don't spend much money) or
new speakers (I need new speakers, anyway) do anything? I don't know
much about car audio, by the way.

Thanks,
Kyle

joe.ker

Hi Kyle
There are a # of things that can cause that problem.
1) most common cause is a grounded speaker line. use an ohm meter to test
all the leads to ground
2) A speaker could be shorting out. test all the speakers impedence. also
try physically moving them to see if any voice coils are scraping.
3) the contacts on the face plate if it a detachable face unit. try using a
pencil earaser and clean the contacts. this is the easiest to try 1st.
4) the internal amplifier going bad or has bad solder connection. if all the
above is checks out then this is likely culprit. if this is problem your
best bet would be to get new receiver.

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

oups.com...