I love Edsels

Default dynamat, prius, speaker upgrade

has anybody done sound system upgrades on a prius? how about sound
deadening with dynamat or similar product? the sound tends to get lost
in road noise in this vehicle
TIA
Tom
Seattle

First check out what the alternator capacity is before installing an
amp.

Thor Lancelot Simon

I love Edsels wrote:
has anybody done sound system upgrades on a prius? how about sound
deadening with dynamat or similar product? the sound tends to get lost
in road noise in this vehicle

You may get somewhere with speaker upgrades. I'm looking at that myself.
If you want to go for a big system with an amp you should pretty much
forget it. The 12V supply in the Prius is generated by an inverter from
the 500VDC of the main electrical system. There is not a lot of spare
to go around. Also, the sound controls (balance, fade, etc.) of the
stock head unit/changer (which are integrated with the big LCD display)
are supposedly done on the stock system's *amp*.

You can probably add an additional head unit using a manual or automatic
audio relay to switch it in in place of the changer (I may have a wiring
diagram that would be helpful for this -- I'll rummage and post again if
you do) but aside from that and the speakers it's a tough job.

The road noise is mostly from the high-MPG tires. I think you'll find it
tough to beat without giving up fuel economy -- low-rolling-resistance
tires are hard, so they're loud.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
abandoned or transcended, there is no problem." - Noam Chomsky

The road noise is indeed gone out of insanity. They are everywhere.
This must
be the new cultural pattern of today American street. I don't know why
people
have so much desire to drive playing loud music. Must be some kind of
threat.
This is not some kind of street driving party. I think it's American
cultural
disease. It's crazy what we are up to. you telling me having 500VDC on
car stereo
unit is way way too dangerous to carry around in car. 500VDC can KIll
you!!!!
Man someone must be crazy to do that.

joe.ker

1 volt @ 1 AMP can kill you

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

wrote in message
oups.com...

The road noise is indeed gone out of insanity. They are everywhere.
This must
be the new cultural pattern of today American street. I don't know why
people
have so much desire to drive playing loud music. Must be some kind of
threat.
This is not some kind of street driving party. I think it's American
cultural
disease. It's crazy what we are up to. you telling me having 500VDC on
car stereo
unit is way way too dangerous to carry around in car. 500VDC can KIll
you!!!!
Man someone must be crazy to do that.

MOSFET

"joe.ker" wrote in message
1 volt @ 1 AMP can kill you

And 1 million volts at just a few milliamps will only make your hair stand
on end (a la Van de Graff generator).

MOSFET

And sex with street hookers will kill you too, just takes a while.

Current can kill you because it's voltage. Don't say to same old
stuff like it is not voltage that kill you etc.
Do you think I don't know that??

Waldodamon

MOSFET Wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Current can kill you because it's voltage. Don't say to same old
stuff like it is not voltage that kill you etc.
Do you think I don't know that??

You're an idiot. Stop posting.

I don't want to start anything, but judging from behavior and lack of
intelligence I have seen from other posts, I agree with MOSFET.

--
Waldodamon
Waldodamon's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=27319

joe.ker

Current and voltage are not the same. Current is the flow of electrons,
where Voltage is the pressure.
1 volt at 1 amp is different than 12 volts at 1 amp

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

ups.com...