sanitarium

Default Soldering speaker leads???

Something Ive always wondered... Why does soldering speaker wires to the
leads void the warranty? Ive always done it this way, but am wondering what
harm can there be to the speaker?

thanks,
Garrett

Eddie Runner

its pretty easy to melt the wires off the terminals
as you solder your wires on...

Maybe since when you solder they cant resell as
new after you send it back and they fix it...

sanitarium wrote:

Something Ive always wondered... Why does soldering speaker wires to the
leads void the warranty? Ive always done it this way, but am wondering what
harm can there be to the speaker?

thanks,
Garrett

Pug Fugley

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
its pretty easy to melt the wires off the terminals
as you solder your wires on...

The wires can just simply be resoldered.

Maybe since when you solder they cant resell as
new after you send it back and they fix it...

We will normally just pop on a whole new terminal, they cost like $.59

The main reason speaker companies don't like soldering is becuase of the
heat. That goes straight to the voice coil and could melt the glue and cause
the winding to uncoil. As long as you know what you're doing, it's not a
problem. Soldering is the only way I do it.

sanitarium wrote:

Something Ive always wondered... Why does soldering speaker wires to

the
leads void the warranty? Ive always done it this way, but am wondering

what
harm can there be to the speaker?

thanks,
Garrett

Paul Vina

I hate soldering terminals. It's a PITA, time consuming and you have to
unsolder it if you need to take the speaker out or if you want to invert the
polarity at the speaker. A good crimp connection is the way I fly.

Paul Vina

link.net...

sanitarium wrote:

Something Ive always wondered... Why does soldering speaker wires to

the
leads void the warranty? Ive always done it this way, but am

wondering
what
harm can there be to the speaker?

thanks,
Garrett

Pug Fugley

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I hate soldering terminals. It's a PITA, time consuming and you have to
unsolder it if you need to take the speaker out or if you want to invert

the
polarity at the speaker. A good crimp connection is the way I fly.

I'd rather spend 2 minutes soldering than spend 45 minutes taking a
customers door panel back off then have to explain to him how the connecter
came off and he had to re-arrange his schedule to bring it back but 2
minutes was saved during the install.

Mark Zarella

I hate soldering terminals. It's a PITA, time consuming and you have to
unsolder it if you need to take the speaker out or if you want to invert

the
polarity at the speaker. A good crimp connection is the way I fly.

I'd rather spend 2 minutes soldering than spend 45 minutes taking a
customers door panel back off then have to explain to him how the

connecter
came off and he had to re-arrange his schedule to bring it back but 2
minutes was saved during the install.

I'd like to hear how the connector came off too. With a properly crimped
connection, it should last well beyond the car's lifetime. I've crimped
things 10 years ago that you still can't pull apart no matter how hard you
pull (the wire's insulation would come off before the connection broke).
I've seen more solder joints come loose than crimps anyway.

TheBIessedDead

I'd rather spend 2 minutes soldering than spend 45 minutes taking a
customers door panel back off then have to explain to him how the connecter
came off and he had to re-arrange his schedule to bring it back but 2
minutes was saved during the install.

A. We've already established that you do not, and never have, worked in any
sort of a car audio shop.

B. 45 minutes to remove a single door panel? This goes a long way in
explaining WHY you have never worked in a shop.

C. Your crimping skills must be seriously lacking if your connectors are
falling off.

Nick
Pug Fugley

"TheBIessedDead" wrote in message
I'd rather spend 2 minutes soldering than spend 45 minutes taking a
customers door panel back off then have to explain to him how the

connecter
came off and he had to re-arrange his schedule to bring it back but 2
minutes was saved during the install.

A. We've already established that you do not, and never have, worked in

any
sort of a car audio shop.

Oh, is that so? I guess that shows how much you know.

B. 45 minutes to remove a single door panel? This goes a long way in
explaining WHY you have never worked in a shop.

I guess we're just not used to working on 1976 Pintos like in your shop, we
only deal with high end clients.

C. Your crimping skills must be seriously lacking if your connectors are
falling off.

I just do it right the first time, that's all.

Paul Vina

If it was done correctly it wouldn't come off in the first place. I've
never had one come off.

Paul Vina

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
link.net...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I hate soldering terminals. It's a PITA, time consuming and you have to
unsolder it if you need to take the speaker out or if you want to invert

the
polarity at the speaker. A good crimp connection is the way I fly.

I'd rather spend 2 minutes soldering than spend 45 minutes taking a
customers door panel back off then have to explain to him how the

connecter
came off and he had to re-arrange his schedule to bring it back but 2
minutes was saved during the install.

Soundfreak03

A. We've already established that you do not, and never have, worked in
any
sort of a car audio shop.

Oh, is that so? I guess that shows how much you know.

Then prove it!!! I have asked you where more times than I can count and yet you
refuse. That is why noone thinks that you have ever worked at one. You refuse
to prove it!!!!!

I guess we're just not used to working on 1976 Pintos like in your shop, we
only deal with high end clients.

He has never claimed to working in a shop. And just where is this shop where
you work with high end clients???? Still too much of a chicken**** to answer?

C. Your crimping skills must be seriously lacking if your connectors are
falling off.

I just do it right the first time, that's all.

Do it right? Are you saying that a properly crimped terminal is not doing it
right? If you actually know how to crimp, which it is obvious you do not, they
don't come off.
So Pugsly where is your shop? Tell us all.

Les

John Durbin

That's half right... you'll never kill a voice coil like that, I don't
care if you take a blow torch to the terminal. Maybe on a dome tweeter
where the voice coil wire is led out directly to the terminal and
soldered, but not a larger driver that has tensile leads between the
terminal and the voice coil. Almost all moving cone drivers have a
junction where the tensile lead meets up with the voice coil wire, and
you'll have melted a bunch of stuff before you get enough heat past that
to delaminate a voice coil.

What will happen is people apply way too much heat without using a clamp
or heat sink to prevent solder from wicking (flowing) up the tensile
leads on the other side of the terminals, which makes them brittle where
they should be flexible, which makes them break very quickly after you
start using the speaker again.

JD