Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Sure, people would go to the site to download a song or two. Record label
sites do this regularly today but I think they need to take it a step
farther.

And just what would that step be? Allow people to download a song or
four? Or the whole CD?

The step that many have taken is to contract with pay-for-download
services to handle the songs that they choose to make available
through this process. Why should every record company have to invent
their own wheel when they can farm out the work to someone who's
already set up to do it?

Just like the day when you won't run software off of your hard drive,
instead we will run software located on the net.

The bandwidth of a CAT 5 ethernet network system is barely capable of this
currently. We are a good ten years away (or more) from being able to do it
via an internet connection.

I was thinking of the days when people were dialing up on a 1200 baud
modem and programs would fit on a 360K floppy disk.

For now I am happy with my Rhapsody account.

I don't download anything through Rhapsody since it costs per download. I
use it like a radio.

Interesting. I didn't know it worked like that, but if that's what
works for you, that's fine. Is the "radio" service free or do you pay
a monthly fee for it? Can you be listening, here something you'd like
to keep, and jump right to the correct download link for the currently
playing song? That would be pretty cool, and good marketing, too.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
hev

"Dave Martin" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Hev" wrote in message

I don't download anything through Rhapsody since it costs per download. I
use it like a radio.

OK, I'm done.

This dip**** was talking about how he sees using services like Rhapsody as
his version of 'supporting legitimate downloading', and now says that he
doesn't download from Rhapsody because it costs money. He listens to
Rhapsody and then looks for free versions online. What a maroon.

Actually I think I am more of a scarlet. I pay $9.99 a month to play/preview
songs on Rhapsody. I think it is a great service and the way of the future
(with some tweaks).

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:

play on

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:47:27 GMT, George Gleason
wrote:

play on wrote:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:15:51 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
wrote:

"Hev" wrote in message...

I buy just as many CD's as I ever have.

Which you've clearly stated earlier, is practically none. You're what, 23 or 24
years old now (?) and stated that you own approximately 300 CDs. That
equals roughly 1/4 of a CD per week of your lifetime, or roughly one CD per
living month since birth.

Come on... give it a rest. 300 CDs is over $4000 worth of music,
that's a pretty good amount for someone his age. I'm certain I didn't
own that many LPs when I was in my mid-20s.

Al

I had well over 2000 lps by the time cds came out(when I was 22)
I had about 800 cd's last time I bothered to count them

Yeah but you are an extremist... LOL

Al
play on

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:39:39 -0600, Tracy Wintermute
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:43:10 -0800, play_on
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:55:31 -0600, Tracy Wintermute
wrote:

An honest-to-goodness no **** story:
In a small town about an hour east of here, some kid got busted for
operating his 'boom car' in violation of a noise ordinance.
The judge sentenced him to (I think it was12 hours) locked in a room
with loud non-stop polka music piped in.

I heard about that. Here in Seattle (snip)

You heard about that in Seattle? Wow, blows me away, seriously!

Yeah it went on the wire nationally I guess... you know, human
interest stories that pass for "news".

Al

I happened to be in Cambridge, OH (location of the offense) on
business the day of the sentencing, and heard about it on the local
radio station noon-time news report in my car. I nearly ****ed myself
laughing, especially considering the vocal mannerism of the
newscaster; his inflections were the same matter-of-fact presentation
as his 'so-and-so was sentenced to 15 years for gross sexual
imposition' announcements... had no idea the story went national.

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================

George Gleason

I had well over 2000 lps by the time cds came out(when I was 22)
I had about 800 cd's last time I bothered to count them

Yeah but you are an extremist... LOL

Al

Is it possible to be both a extremist and a pacifist at the same time?
george
Kurt Albershardt

reddred wrote:
"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

I think the long term solution would be to move to some disc format
that PC's don't easily play, but could be licensed to electronics
manufacturers for DVD players.

Um, SACD anyone?

Or DVD-A, I don't believe there are any PC drives supporting either.

The drives support DVD-A, since it's just files under UDF on a DVD. The decryption has to happen in hardware in order to meet the licensing requirements, and one of the Creative cards supports it (maybe there are others as well.)

My impression is that the industry is concerned about which one
of the formats to push and when to do it.

It's turning into a cluster**** just as many of us predicted.

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote:

I think PC users on Outlook or Outlook Express who only enable
72 character lines are tougher to read and quote than long ones
which auto-wrap to the window size.

Actually, regular newsreaders give you 80 column lines and give a warning
on any lines longer than 72 characters. With regular-style quoting it is
much easier to do this than it is to deal with super-long lines that have
to be broken up.

If everyone used 72 and there were no quoted indents we'd be okay with that number.

I tend to reassemble others' broken lines when I quote, but it gets tiring.

The right answer is no line breaks until paragraph ends. This allows proper formatting on any width screen.

Scott Dorsey

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

If everyone used 72 and there were no quoted indents we'd be okay with
that number.

Until the early nineties when AOL got onto the web, they did.

I tend to reassemble others' broken lines when I quote, but it gets tiring.

You shouldn't. There should be a "" at the beginning of each quoted line,
so people can tell the difference between orginal and quoted text.

The right answer is no line breaks until paragraph ends. This allows
proper formatting on any width screen.

Yes, but it makes quoting damn difficult. And, of course, people were
doing it the regular way for a decade and a half beforehand.

Hev

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article zmpXd.81762$wc.2103@trnddc07
writes:

I would be very pleased to see labels allowing access to all songs on a
CD
for play/preview, not necessarily download. But if you can play it, it
can
be captured... so there is a weakness there.

That's always been the weakness, but it wasn't a huge problem when
everyone had to make their copies in real time, and it was pretty much
a one-on-one copy exchange. But once you have a copy on your computer,
sharing it is easy if you allow it to be shared.

You can argue that if it's available on the publisher's web site, it's
OK for you to share it, but that denies the publisher the web hit. He
doesn't get to see who you are and he doesn't get to dangle the
opportunity of purchase in front of you.

A new p2p system could form that contains links, not the actual mp3 files,
that sends a user to the source. Users would know that the file was "kosher"
this way and a great network of legal files could circulate.

For $10 a month you can listen to everything like a radio.

Does Rhapsody give you a continuous broadcast stream, or do you have
to pick one song, then another song, then another song . . .?

You can listen to an individual song, or an entire album with one click. Or
you can create a custom playlist similar to a playlist on Win Media Player.
With a broadband connection no lag is noticeable so playback is smooth and
continuous between songs on your playlist. It must buffer to ensure a
continuous stream.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he

reddred

reddred wrote:
"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

I think the long term solution would be to move to some disc format
that PC's don't easily play, but could be licensed to electronics
manufacturers for DVD players.

Um, SACD anyone?

Or DVD-A, I don't believe there are any PC drives supporting either.

The drives support DVD-A, since it's just files under UDF on a DVD. The

decryption has to happen in hardware in order to meet the licensing
requirements, and one of the Creative cards supports it (maybe there are
others as well.)

Well, that's one good reason for EMI, BMG etc. to suck it up and go with
Sony's SACD. It would be in everyone's interest to do it sooner rather than
later. It could help to reduce the effect p2p is having.

What went wrong with the new disc formats, anyway?

jb

Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

I tend to reassemble others' broken lines when I quote, but it gets tiring.

You shouldn't. There should be a "" at the beginning of each quoted line,
so people can tell the difference between orginal and quoted text.

Until you quote a quoted quote (which wraps due to all the quoting) and then you have a single-quote line with one word in the midst of a triple-quote paragraph.

The right answer is no line breaks until paragraph ends. This allows
proper formatting on any width screen.

Yes, but it makes quoting damn difficult.

It wouldn't if more MUAs were designed for flowed text.

of course, people were
doing it the regular way for a decade and a half beforehand.

Of course--back when we all used one of a half-dozen text apps.
Tracy Wintermute

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:05:04 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
wrote:

"Tracy Wintermute" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:45:31 -0800, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:
Does that Mozilla thing have an option called "line
length" or something like that?
No offense meant, but;
If so, please learn to use it.
Thanks!

I'm certain he knows how to use it... it's probably a case of getting
him to slow down long enough to add a key.

He's probably typing in a small window and watching it wrap nicely.
It's definitely not coming in HTML... so the old carriage return (enter)
maybe needs to be activated after every hundred or so characters.
;-)

I've possibly opened a can of worms that I did not intend to...

Actually, just getting him to keep hanging around is worth reading
the long lines, even though they don't quote so well.

Oh, I generally enjoy Kurt's posts. This is why I was asking of him a
favor. It ain't like I seriously expected him to accommodate me, but I
figured it might be worth a shot.

I think PC users on Outlook or Outlook Express who only enable
72 character lines are tougher to read and quote than long ones
which auto-wrap to the window size.

Don't know about that. I tried Outlook briefly, didn't care for it. I
use the paid for and registered version of Agent. When I read one of
my first posts to a Newsgroup, I had to use the scrolly bar thingy at
the bottom to read it. After that, I set my posting preference line
length to something shorter (70 characters) to make it easier on
myself. Did not know it may have an effect on others, as it seems that
when I'm quoted, the quote appears (on my monitor) the same as the
original post. I don't enter carriage returns, except at paragraph
ends... like this.

With Kurt's (and a few others') posts, I need to do the scrolly bar
thingy to read them... no auto word wrapping occurs. Perhaps there's a
setting in Agent that _I_ need to change, in order to remedy that.
Perhaps _my_ posts on others' newsreaders appear AFU... (?)

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Lorin David Schultz

"Hev" wrote:

[...] sesame street taught us to share.

Sharing is good. You can not, however, "share" something that does not
belong to you in the first place. That's called "stealing." Sesame
Street was unequivocal on that subject, too.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Bob Cain

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote:

[...] Do you know anyone in business who willingly pays more
than they have to for anything?

Sure, me. I often choose a vendor on the basis of more than just price.
For me, quality of service, availability of support, flexibility in
customizing product offerings and delivery guarantees rank as high as
price in making my choice.

I'd put all that in the category of something you have to
pay for. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Scott Dorsey

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

I tend to reassemble others' broken lines when I quote, but it gets tiring.

You shouldn't. There should be a "" at the beginning of each quoted line,
so people can tell the difference between orginal and quoted text.

Until you quote a quoted quote (which wraps due to all the quoting) and
then you have a single-quote line with one word in the midst of a
triple-quote paragraph.

That's why column 72 is picked. That allows you to go seven layers deep
without wrapping on a standard 80 column screen.

The right answer is no line breaks until paragraph ends. This allows
proper formatting on any width screen.

Yes, but it makes quoting damn difficult.

It wouldn't if more MUAs were designed for flowed text.

This is Usenet. It is not mail. It is not even a little bit like mail.
You read it with a newsreader and not a mail agent. Many things which are
very reasonable for mail are not reasonable for Usenet.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

A new p2p system could form that contains links, not the actual mp3 files,
that sends a user to the source. Users would know that the file was "kosher"
this way and a great network of legal files could circulate.

But what's the advantage to going the P2P route rather than going to
the original source when all you're going to get is a link? The
purpose of P2P is to get files. Peer-to-peer networking is a good
concept - I use it to move files between the computer I use on the
Interent and the one I use for non-net-related work, and to move
files from my hard disk recorder to the editing computer. But those
are things that are within my control. The problem with P2P in the
context that we've been discussing here is that it's being used to
as a means for transferring files that's out of the control of the original
creator.

I can see a fan of a particular artist or musical genre establishing a
web site with links to sources and samples, but we already have those,
don't we?

You can listen to an individual song, or an entire album with one click. Or
you can create a custom playlist similar to a playlist on Win Media Player.

This sounds like more work than the radio. When I listen to the radio,
I want someone else to make decisions for me.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Hev

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

[...]

The point is to have all the information about the locations of kosher audio
centralized. Otherwise the files are just scattered on various websites and
it is a treasure hunt. What if you haven't heard about a record label or
band site? You could stumble upon it on the p2p network.

I can see a fan of a particular artist or musical genre establishing a
web site with links to sources and samples, but we already have those,
don't we?

You can listen to an individual song, or an entire album with one click.
Or
you can create a custom playlist similar to a playlist on Win Media
Player.

This sounds like more work than the radio. When I listen to the radio,
I want someone else to make decisions for me.

Ain't hard at all. Give it a whirl sometime.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Arny Krueger

reddred wrote:

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

I think the long term solution would be to move to some disc format
that PC's don't easily play, but could be licensed to electronics
manufacturers for DVD players.

Um, SACD anyone?

SACD is a toughie, because the DVD drive has to support the decryption. Sony
could probably release such a drive in a heartbeat, but they seem to think
that would be counter-strategic for them.

Or DVD-A, I don't believe there are any PC drives supporting either.

Yes there are. Creative Labs has been selling cards that are DVD-A capable
with standard PC DVD drives for some time. The Audigy-2 series claim this
feature and there are user reports that it works. I have the required
hardware on hand in multiples, and I should try it.

The drives support DVD-A, since it's just files under UDF on a DVD.

Agreed.

The decryption has to happen in hardware in order to meet the
licensing requirements, and one of the Creative cards supports it
(maybe there are others as well.)

Yes, the Audigy was the first to announce and AFAIK deliver this feature. I
think its been out for about 2 years.

My impression is that the industry is concerned about which one
of the formats to push and when to do it.

It looks like the next round in the DVD-A/SACD battle will relate to new
DVD media formats like Blu-Ray.

It's turning into a cluster**** just as many of us predicted.

So it seems.

hank alrich

Tracy Wintermute wrote:

Oh, I generally enjoy Kurt's posts.

He's more worth than he's trouble.

--
ha
hev

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
"Hev" wrote:

[...] sesame street taught us to share.

Sharing is good. You can not, however, "share" something that does not
belong to you in the first place. That's called "stealing." Sesame
Street was unequivocal on that subject, too.

People are sharing files like they share the sidewalk. But yes, you are
right. I understand what you mean. The unfortunate thing about this
situation is that it doesn't matter what is moral, right, or justified. In
my opinion we need to learn how to live with it and not shun a whole
community of people that happen to be the hardest target market to reach.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

George Gleason

"Hev" wrote:

[...] sesame street taught us to share.

Sharing is good. You can not, however, "share" something that does not
belong to you in the first place. That's called "stealing." Sesame
Street was unequivocal on that subject, too.

People are sharing files like they share the sidewalk.

you mean by paying taxes and shareing in the costs and profits to the
contractor who built the sidewalk?
of course that is what you must mean as you don't think sidewalks are free

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"hev" wrote in message...

In my opinion we need to learn how to live with it and not shun a whole
community of people...

We're shunning an attitude, a concept, a problem with contemporary culture,
not a community... unless of course, you're still using "the community" as a
'crutch' figure of speech.

And I still disagree with the attitude of just, "live with it..." It's a real problem
that needs fixed, you've often said this yourself in this thread. It really isn't
something that can just be "lived with," because the end result is preventing
certain people from living.

DM

Bob Cain

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

IPv6 makes IP address spoofing (along with man-in-the-middle attacks and
other icky things) nearly impossible,

Now that's a damn good trick. As of about 10 years ago when
I did some work in crypto that was unsolvable (without
secure, out of band key exchange which itself must be immune
to mitma). Any idea what RPC describes the crypto protocol
that makes the attack nearly impossible?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
hank alrich

hev wrote:

People are sharing files like they share the sidewalk.

Not. We pay for the sidewalks.

--
ha
hev

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

"hev" wrote in message...

In my opinion we need to learn how to live with it and not shun a whole
community of people...

We're shunning an attitude, a concept, a problem with contemporary
culture,
not a community... unless of course, you're still using "the community" as
'crutch' figure of speech.

Why is commenting on the thousands... if not millions of p2p users a crutch?
It is an extremely vibrant community of mostly younger folks that happen to
be a very influential target market in the music business. Why are you using
the crutch or illusion of thinking you can change the attitude of that many
people? We need to find a way to live in a symbiotic relationship with them.

And I still disagree with the attitude of just, "live with it..." It's
a real problem
that needs fixed, you've often said this yourself in this thread. It
really isn't
something that can just be "lived with," because the end result is
preventing
certain people from living

Even if it sounds harsh, we may have to accept that the internet HAS changed
the future of the industry. It might not be for the best but it is
definitely going to cut the fat. I think it will be an improvement,
musically speaking, in the long run.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14089013

Troy

I don't think we will change the attitude of millons of stealing
downloaders....I think we will change the technology that will make it much
harder and laws that are tougher.

You need to give up your stupid reasoning you are talking in circles as
usual.

"hev" wrote in message...

[...]

George Gleason

"hev" wrote in message...

In my opinion we need to learn how to live with it and not shun a whole
community of people...

We're shunning an attitude, a concept, a problem with contemporary
culture,
not a community... unless of course, you're still using "the community" as
'crutch' figure of speech.

Why is commenting on the thousands... if not millions of p2p users a crutch?
It is an extremely vibrant community of mostly younger folks that happen to
be a very influential target market in the music business. Why are you using
the crutch or illusion of thinking you can change the attitude of that many
people? We need to find a way to live in a symbiotic relationship with them.

they need to change their attitude from stealing is MY RIGHT to stealing
is wrong

And I still disagree with the attitude of just, "live with it..." It's
a real problem
that needs fixed, you've often said this yourself in this thread. It
really isn't
something that can just be "lived with," because the end result is
preventing
certain people from living

Even if it sounds harsh, we may have to accept that the internet HAS changed
the future of the industry. It might not be for the best but it is
definitely going to cut the fat. I think it will be an improvement,
musically speaking, in the long run.

the "fat" you cutting is artists income and the profits that drive
artists development
without the profits(music being worth what you pay for it, nothing) the
artists need to find other jobs resulting in just crappy bedroom ******s
churning out pure ****
george
George
Kurt Albershardt

reddred wrote:

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

I think the long term solution would be to move to some disc format
that PC's don't easily play, but could be licensed to electronics
manufacturers for DVD players.

Um, SACD anyone?

SACD is a toughie, because the DVD drive has to support the decryption. Sony
could probably release such a drive in a heartbeat, but they seem to think
that would be counter-strategic for them.

Absolutely.

Notice that the original proposal was for "some disc format that PC's don't easily play."