reddred

"Troy" wrote in message
news:wV8Wd.573114$Xk.352152@pd7tw3no...
Hev.......P2P could mean mega bucks.....YES.....but the problem is no one
has figured out a way to collect royalties and make it work for all

parties
involved.

Actually, I believe there are several ways to do it, and most likely Sony
and BMG believe that too. As soon as the first wave of p2p is put out of
business (through expensive, brute-force litigation which prevents p2p
companies from growing) soemone will either buy the shell of the p2p
companies and put it to service (like Napster was bought after the 'first
wave' was over) or start their own decentralized download services.

Once you make one P2P legal and start collecting royalties 10 more
illigal ones would pop up.

Not anything that could make any money. Notice how downloading via web dried
up after the Napster debacle?

jb

Hev

Hev wrote:

"George Gleason" wrote in message

I buy just as many CD's as I ever have. I do preview a lot of stuff
online. I don't feel bad whatsoever.

so do you or do you not support the p2p freedownloading of
copyprotected works for the porpuse of obtaining for free what is
meant for sale?

I support the online downloading community.

this was the question
please simply answer it, not dance aroun d it

so do you or do you not support the p2p freedownloading of copyprotected
works for the porpuse of obtaining for free what is meant for sale?

Yes.

entire thread forwarded to RIAA
your the kind they want to know about
Thanks

Be my guest.
--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:26:47 -0500, Trevor de Clercq
wrote:

Yeah, the "covers" Zep does on those early albums are sometimes pretty
obvious, but like I said, they could have played any blues progression
with any lyrics back in those years ('68-'71) and it would have been
gold. What made it magic was Zeppelin, not Willie. I mean Plant starts
singing about Gollum in "Ramble On". Should J.R.R. Tolkein get a slice?
Would "Ramble On" have been any less rockin' without those lyrics? I
actually think the lyrics are kind of sucky and could have been better,
but it doesn't matter, the performance is so good.

I think we're getting into the domain of artisan vs artist. here. The
Artist or creator of something original in my opinion is often not
recognized for there contribution and should be compensated for their
contribution even if it is mostly to inspire later interpretations by
talented artisans. Wouldn't it be fair to provide an income to some
elderly originator of a now re popularized art form who never made a
decent living the first time around. This is no slight on artisans who
can be artists in their own right and may be so creative as to render
the item covered unrecognizable. There was a trend to capture folk
music in the late 19th century and interpret it symphonically as a
nation pride movement was taking shape. These pieces for the most part
bare little resemblance to folk music to me. With the exception of
Vaghn Williams I barely hear the folk melody they were derived from.
The originators of the melodies were probably long dead and never
recognized.

Hev

Entire thread forwarded to: http://www.boycott-riaa.com/ as well.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Ron Capik

George Gleason wrote:

.....snip..

This whole thread has made me want to try a new business model.

Wht don't your try HONESTY
it really is better
George

Sadly, it's about cost benefit ratios associated with the
currency of our society, and it seems in out current social
state honesty just doesn't have the value it used to.
From Martha Stewart to ENRON to pro sports, one gets the
feeling that stuff trumps values hands down.
Move into politics and it's: power corrupts ...etc.

I don't believe lawyers, jails and police can solve the problems
of the coarsening of our society. Somehow we need to learn to
be free AND responsible. I think we have a long road ahead
to get there.

Later...

Ron Capik cynic in training

play on

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:05:25 GMT, George Gleason
wrote:

your feel you have a RIGHT to free downloading, this makes the value of
this music NOTHING,

Just to pick nits, no, it's not the music that becomes devalued --
it's the recordings of the music.

Al
play on

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:19:12 GMT, George Gleason
wrote:

Hev wrote:
"George Gleason" wrote in message

Hev wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

I hear you. So what is the answer then? P2P isn't going anywhere...
getting
worse day by day.

The answer is to work really hard to build a truly copy protected
music file. And back it up with hard penalties for violating the
copyright. Change the copyright law if necessary to make the first
offense punishable by a $1,000 fine and jail term after that. What
else can you do if you want people to know that you're serious about
not giving away copyright recordings of music?

You are a very idealistic. The only thing that would happen is users
would find a system to mask file names from industry bots. They are
already moderating incoming users and checking credentials at the door.

why work so hard to cheat a musician out of his income
geez is 12 $ all that important to you
why not put this energy into not being a complete worthless piece of ****?

I have supported the music industry my entire adult life. I don't need to
take that kind of **** from you. Just because I use p2p doesn't mean I don't
buy CD's.

you are a self admitted thief
its not my fault you choose stealing over buying
that is your problem
I just am here to tell you what a low life scum your being
George

He probably buys more CDs than you do.

Al
play on

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:59:46 GMT, George Gleason
wrote:

Hev wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

So is it all doom and gloom Rivers? Do you have any suggestions?

Sure, and I've said it time and time again. Catch the thieves and put
them in jail. Eventually the theft will get down to a manageable
level.

And if that isn't possible?

teach people stealing is wrong,

Right, like that will ever happen. The latest Newsweek has convicted
criminal Martha Stewart on the cover, which also trumpets how she is
wealthier than ever since her company stock has reached new highs.
What kind of message does this send?

Al
The Ghost

Bob Cain wrote in
:

Hev wrote:

Theoretically if the products in my store could be downloaded, and
that was the new way my customers wanted to receive my products.... I
would ADAPT a service that allowed them to do so. The recording
industry has not adapted and p2p is the side-effect of this.

Empty words without a workable proposal for this so called
adaption. You've offered nothing of substance and are
blinded by the smoke you're blowing up your own ass to make
it ok to steal.

The only adaption that works without a revolution in
protection technology is removing money from all but live
performance and I think you are going to be _very_
disappointed with what remains. The cacaphony and bandwidth
of the internet provides no effective means of selection,
promotion or artist development. You'll get what you can
see and that's about it.

You totally disregard the value value added by the current
industry configuration and I think I can safely guess that
you see none. You will in its absence. It really ****es me
off that your theieving generation may well steal it from
those of us who value it. If that is the nature of your
generation's ethics, god help you.

Bob

Being the slimeball and scumbag that he is, is hardly in a credible
position to comment on someone else's ethics.

The Ghost

Bob Cain wrote in
:

play on wrote:

And if what "all other businesses do" is a yardstick for ethics, spare
me. I can certainly be argued that the music business in general is
an ethically-challenged environment when compared to others.

C'mon, Al. _All_ business, top to bottom, big to small
operates on the principle of paying as little as possible
for something it will, in turn, sell for as much as it can
get consistent with people buying it. Always has, always will.

The music business is _no_ different except for the fact
that high bandwidth personal interconnect is destroying its
ability to do business by enabling rampant theft. The only
reason that the publishing business isn't in similar trouble
is that people who still read tend to have better ethics.

Bob

Being the slimeball, scumbag that he is, Bob Cain is hardly in a credible
position to comment on anyone else's ethics.

Bob Cain

Hev wrote:

I still remember the floppy disks (that were actually
floppy) that were the size of my head.

I was the very first floppy user internal to IBM in about
1968 and coded the first IBM channel attached controler to
write them. Our controler was a four bit unit that could
access 4K digits of ram. It had the first load/store risc
architecture. In fact it had no logical or arithemetic
instructions at all and did only load, store, branch on
accumulator zero, branch, and branch and link. Logic and
arithmetic was done by table lookup in subroutines using
self modifying code. It could do anything, albiet slowly.

I saw six or seven iterations, all radically different, of
that 8" floppy design before the designers finally settled
on the oxide coated mylar disc in an envelope. Some of them
were absolutely laughable mechanically.

The floppy was invented as a device for loading microcode
and microdiagnostics into the mainframes that I was involved
in designing. The rest is, as they say, history. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Gidney and Cloyd wrote:
Bob Cain wrote:

No, mine was an IBM 7094 with punched card reader and 9 track tapes.
I was designing mainframes by 1967 and coding 8 bit microprocessor
systems by 1975. :-)

1st interactive use: Illiac II in 1965. Bet I could still program an
IBM 029 drum card.

O'mgod I'd totally forgotten about those!

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Don Cooper

George Gleason wrote:

works for me
I can abide sun worship

Except that Syracuse never gets any. ; )
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Hev" wrote in message...

"Ron Capik" wrote in message

Hmmm, sounds a bit like the "war" on drugs.

Exactly what I was thinking....

I'm sure it was. "Let's tell the country we're not, while we do...".

Sometimes people think it's better to just lie about what they do.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Hev" wrote in message....

This whole thread has made me want to try a new business model.

You're probably correct. Lying in this case would be far more advantageous.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Ron Capik" wrote in message...

Somehow we need to learn to be free AND responsible. I think
we have a long road ahead to get there.

I have the most disconcerting premonition.... we are going to crash
and burn hard before that happens. It seems the whole world wants
to see us learn some serious lessons because of people like this.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote:

Hev wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

So is it all doom and gloom Rivers? Do you have any suggestions?

Sure, and I've said it time and time again. Catch the thieves and put
them in jail. Eventually the theft will get down to a manageable
level.

And if that isn't possible?

teach people stealing is wrong,

Right, like that will ever happen. The latest Newsweek has convicted
criminal Martha Stewart on the cover, which also trumpets how she is
wealthier than ever since her company stock has reached new highs.
What kind of message does this send?

That was Matha's face, nothing more. Newsweek says what they want
to say. FWIW, I think she got screwed anyway.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"reddred" wrote in message...

ipv6 will go a long way towards killing 'sharing', among other things.

Wow... this was totally new to me. http://www.ipv6.org/

play on

wrote:

Hev wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

So is it all doom and gloom Rivers? Do you have any suggestions?

Sure, and I've said it time and time again. Catch the thieves and put
them in jail. Eventually the theft will get down to a manageable
level.

And if that isn't possible?

teach people stealing is wrong,

Right, like that will ever happen. The latest Newsweek has convicted
criminal Martha Stewart on the cover, which also trumpets how she is
wealthier than ever since her company stock has reached new highs.
What kind of message does this send?

That was Matha's face, nothing more.

I disagree -- the copy on the cover is saying how she's doing better
than ever, etc. So don't let a little unethical behavoir stop you,
kids.

Newsweek says what they want
to say. FWIW, I think she got screwed anyway.

Perhaps she did. I guess they were trying to make an example of
her... if so, it doesn't seem to be working now.

Al
play on

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 05:04:30 GMT, Ben Bradley
wrote:

For some interesting reading, Google for this:
war on drugs asset forfeiture
and read any or all of the articles returned on the first page.

There was a local Seattle man who lost his Porche... when driving into
Canada, the authorities found a roach that his son had left a gym bag
that was sitting in the back seat. They seized a $40,000 car over
about $1 worth of pot.

Al
Bob Cain

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

I have the most disconcerting premonition.... we are going to crash
and burn hard before that happens. It seems the whole world wants
to see us learn some serious lessons because of people like this.

The world has gone mad and we are so caught up in the
madness that we can't see it for what it is.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Bob Cain

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
"reddred" wrote in message...

ipv6 will go a long way towards killing 'sharing', among other things.

Wow... this was totally new to me. http://www.ipv6.org/

Sorta ironic that the link to the FAQ is broken. And we're
supposed to trust these guys with defining a new IP
protocol? :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"play on" wrote in message...

Right, like that will ever happen. The latest Newsweek has convicted
criminal Martha Stewart on the cover, which also trumpets how she is
wealthier than ever since her company stock has reached new highs.
What kind of message does this send?

That was Martha's face, nothing more.

I disagree -- the copy on the cover is saying how she's doing better
than ever, etc. So don't let a little unethical behavoir stop you,
kids.

I wasn't referring to the copy... which you're quite right in pointing out
sets a grossly poor example. I was talking about the cover layout...
which was totally contrived artwork with the exception of Martha's head.
If they can do that to the cover art, what's to keep them from contriving
equal portions of story content these days?

DM