Hev

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
hev wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message
hev wrote:

Irrelevant is a good word to use since most of you with opposing views
have
never even used p2p networks. Your opinion is pretty irrelevant when
you
have absolutely no experience to draw from. Yet you have still found
your
way to the top of your soap box.

What the hell does my not using p2p have to do with the fact you are a
thief? I'm supposed to use p2p and start stealing, too? Your lens has
fallen way out of focus.

Another misconception by a non-p2p user. Not all files on p2p are
illegal.
You can use P2P in a completely legal manner.

Want to share any more prejudices with us Hank?

You outrightly admitted stealing music using p2p. Remember that?

Yes. I am one of millions that enjoy music off of the internet.
I am also the person that owns over 300 purchased CD's, has a concert list
that includes most modern rock acts, has worked for a record store for 3
years, and has gone to school for audio engineering.
You just have to realize that the industry did not adapt in time to a new
technology. I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:32:01 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

Because A cat goes bonkers by itself and starts doing terrible things to the
house. Two is the optimum number. Fourteen seems a bit overboard.

I had three for a time. ****ing and scratching everywhere. I guess
they were competing for territory.

Now I'm down to one, he's good as gold. Nothing to prove, I suppose.

Hev

"Bill Van Dyk" wrote in message
Your rudeness doesn't alter the fact that you didn't even address the
point-- that the "industry" thought photocopiers and VCRs were a threat to
their viability.

Your comments highlight the fact that their paranoia was misplaced.

And my comments address the fact that if it were up to the industry, you
wouldn't even be allowed to buy a digital recorder, or a VCR.

And note that photocopiers have no crippling technologies implemented to
prevent them from copying copyrighted materials. Any small business with
a copier could easily "steal" copyrighted magazine articles and even
books, if they cared to go through the trouble. Now you can even copy
magazine articles and photographs in colour.

They are missing this point completely. This p2p technology, if done
properly, would mean mega bucks like the above example.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

George Gleason

You outrightly admitted stealing music using p2p. Remember that?

Yes. I am one of millions that enjoy music off of the internet.

what about the artists enjoying the rewards of their own hard work?

I am also the person that owns over 300 purchased CD's,

well i guess if you bought 300 cd's then the rest should be free?

has a concert list
that includes most modern rock acts, has worked for a record store for 3
years, and has gone to school for audio engineering.

I never knew anyone who worked in a record store that did not fill out
thier music collection with cd's marked
FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE

You just have to realize that the industry did not adapt in time to a new
technology.

just because you can is not a moral reason to steal from people

I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

so fight against unauthorized file shareing
buy ALL the music you enjoy
shame those that don't
refuse to be part of the problem
George

hev

"George Gleason" wrote in message

You outrightly admitted stealing music using p2p. Remember that?

Yes. I am one of millions that enjoy music off of the internet.

what about the artists enjoying the rewards of their own hard work?

I don't think artists, on the whole, are against file sharing.

I am also the person that owns over 300 purchased CD's,

well i guess if you bought 300 cd's then the rest should be free?

No. I purchased those CD's when bandwidth and p2p technology wasn't readily
available. And I still buy CD's when I love the album/artist.

has a concert list
that includes most modern rock acts, has worked for a record store for 3
years, and has gone to school for audio engineering.

I never knew anyone who worked in a record store that did not fill out
thier music collection with cd's marked
FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE

Managers got first dibs on those. One guy was nice enough to give me a promo
copy of my favorite band's new release one time though (thanks jay). I
literally have maybe 3 promo's max.

You just have to realize that the industry did not adapt in time to a new
technology.

just because you can is not a moral reason to steal from people

I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

so fight against unauthorized file shareing
buy ALL the music you enjoy
shame those that don't
refuse to be part of the problem

I am. By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their artists
and customers.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

George Gleason

ust because you can is not a moral reason to steal from people

I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

so fight against unauthorized file shareing
buy ALL the music you enjoy
shame those that don't
refuse to be part of the problem

I am. By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their artists
and customers.

I bet your screwing over the artists that owe their very careers to the
labels that brought them to the public eye as well
when you cut out the people that put up the money to bring a artist to
prominence your screwing over every artist who is working for that same
chance with their career

of course a artist might be happy being heard by a few dozen p2p devotees
but I bet most would rather be selling records and enjoying national and
world wide marketing, something p2p can not provide
george
hev

"George Gleason" wrote in message
ust because you can is not a moral reason to steal from people

I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

so fight against unauthorized file shareing
buy ALL the music you enjoy
shame those that don't
refuse to be part of the problem

I am. By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their
artists and customers.

I bet your screwing over the artists that owe their very careers to the
labels that brought them to the public eye as well
when you cut out the people that put up the money to bring a artist to
prominence your screwing over every artist who is working for that same
chance with their career

I understand that it is a big problem... one I want to see solved as well.
But the industry had about a decades forewarning and still did nothing but
bitch and moan. They should have welcomed this new technology with open arms
and we might have been closer to a solution or even profiting from p2p at
this point.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

And note that photocopiers have no crippling technologies implemented to
prevent them from copying copyrighted materials.

There was a period when all copiers in government offices marked
copies near the border with "This document copied at Government
expense." While it didn't prevent copying copyrighted material, it did
deter people from using the office copier for personal copies that
would be send somewhere.

Any small business
with a copier could easily "steal" copyrighted magazine articles and
even books, if they cared to go through the trouble. Now you can even
copy magazine articles and photographs in colour.

I used to copy articles from magazines that I got in the office,
pasting (with real paste) pieces together to make a readable copy on a
couple of pages that was split into single columns scattered
thorughout the magazine after the first page or two. Then I'd throw
away the magazine. It made for better "clippings" than trying to file
a bunch of 2" wide strips of paper. But of course those were magazines
related to work that I received in the office. And it was the
Government so it was OK if they broke any of their own laws.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Bob Cain

Bill Van Dyk wrote:
Geez, you just said it all. That's a pretty good rationale for
unrestrained piracy.

Which is precisely why it is all protected by law. Most law
is simply recognition that self interest overrides ethics
for a very large part of the society they govern.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"hev" wrote in message...

I never knew anyone who worked in a record store that did not fill out
thier music collection with cd's marked
FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE

Managers got first dibs on those. One guy was nice enough to give me a promo
copy of my favorite band's new release one time though (thanks jay).

And how long, may I ask, did it take you to 'rip' the contents of that CD and
make it available to everyone on your P2P network for free?

Bob Cain

hev wrote:

I don't think artists, on the whole, are against file sharing.

Hold that thought.

I am. By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their artists
and customers.

You are a thief rationalizing your theft by opinion. Things
that require rationalization and justification are rarely
rational or just.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

hev wrote:

But the industry had about a decades forewarning and still did nothing but
bitch and moan. They should have welcomed this new technology with open arms
and we might have been closer to a solution or even profiting from p2p at
this point.

And because they didn't, you should steal from them and
those who supply them the material to sell. Right.

Your logic is so feeble that you've got to be just trolling.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
hev

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

"hev" wrote in message...

I never knew anyone who worked in a record store that did not fill out
thier music collection with cd's marked
FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE

Managers got first dibs on those. One guy was nice enough to give me a
promo
copy of my favorite band's new release one time though (thanks jay).

And how long, may I ask, did it take you to 'rip' the contents of that CD
and
make it available to everyone on your P2P network for free?

Actually I've never ripped a CD and put it on the internet since almost
every release is readily available.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

hev

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

hev wrote:

But the industry had about a decades forewarning and still did nothing
but bitch and moan. They should have welcomed this new technology with
open arms and we might have been closer to a solution or even profiting
from p2p at this point.

And because they didn't, you should steal from them and those who supply
them the material to sell. Right.

Your logic is so feeble that you've got to be just trolling.

I'm not trolling. Just letting you know how the computer generation feels
about it. Kill the messenger if you wish.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

hev

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

I am. By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their
artists and customers.

You are a thief rationalizing your theft by opinion. Things that require
rationalization and justification are rarely rational or just.

I'm telling you what got us to this point and how our generation doesn't
view it as theft. We could just as easily be singing praise about an
industry that adapted to the new technology and is showing bigger profits
than ever. They had their whole target market sitting right in front of
them, collected... like shooting ducks in a barrel.

--
-hev
remove "your opinion" to find me:
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

play on

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:45:13 -0800, Bob Cain
wrote:

play on wrote:

No. The artists' lawyers do that. Do you really think the companies
are reacting this way because they care about the artists?

Right, the record companies should be altruistic like all
other businesses are.

Altruisic? How about just fair.

Fact is, this whole shooting match is governed by self
interest and maximizing ROI, be it time, dollars or love.
The whole world runs with that motor so what's so ****ing
wrong with the record companies doing what literally
_everyone_ else does?

And if what "all other businesses do" is a yardstick for ethics, spare
me. I can certainly be argued that the music business in general is
an ethically-challenged environment when compared to others.

Al
hank alrich

hev wrote:

I'm not trolling. Just letting you know how the computer generation feels
about it. Kill the messenger if you wish.

While yo whine about the lawless use of firearms. You are part of the
lawlessness, yet you want to make a distinction. You're getting what you
ask for, "whether you know it or not".

Enjoy.

--
ha

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Yes. I am one of millions that enjoy music off of the internet.
I am also the person that owns over 300 purchased CD's, has a concert list
that includes most modern rock acts, has worked for a record store for 3
years, and has gone to school for audio engineering.

All of this gives you the right to free music whenever you want it?

I just don't understand kids these days.

You just have to realize that the industry did not adapt in time to a new
technology. I want artists to get paid using this new technology.

So you're adopting for them. Tell me, do you send a check to everr artist whose
music you download?

Or did you send a check to their record label with a note saying "I
downloaded these two songs on the Internet. I want to do the right
thing and see that the talent that created this music gets paid. Since
you didn't have to pay for marketing or manufacturing of my download,
I'd deducting my estimate of those costs from my payment. Here's a
check for $1.20. Please disburse this in the proper proportions to the
artist, the music publisher You DO make sure they pay the writer,
don't you?), and the recording studio. Oh, and don't take anything out
to cover your salary. You didn't do jack****."

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mike Rivers

In article none ** "hev ** writes:

No. I purchased those CD's when bandwidth and p2p technology wasn't readily
available. And I still buy CD's when I love the album/artist.

Oh, so you just download music from artists you don't like? How does
this benefit either you or the artist?

By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their artists
and customers. . . .

You are also bypassing the artists. I'll bet they really like that.
You haven't even given them good publicity here so we'll all go out
and buy their CDs on your recommendation. We don't know who they are.
We only know that you don't care enough about them to buy their CDs,
so why should we?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Hev

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
hev wrote:

I'm not trolling. Just letting you know how the computer generation feels
about it. Kill the messenger if you wish.

While yo whine about the lawless use of firearms. You are part of the
lawlessness, yet you want to make a distinction. You're getting what you
ask for, "whether you know it or not".

Enjoy.

Next time I kill someone via downloading I'll let you know.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Hev

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article
writes:

Yes. I am one of millions that enjoy music off of the internet.
I am also the person that owns over 300 purchased CD's, has a concert
list
that includes most modern rock acts, has worked for a record store for 3
years, and has gone to school for audio engineering.

All of this gives you the right to free music whenever you want it?

I still buy CD's that interest me. And preview music on p2p. I think
everyone has the right to free music.

I just don't understand kids these days.

No, not in the slightest. Nice article in mix BTW.

[...]

That is exactly how the royalties via downloads could have worked during the
past 10 years! Everyone is missing the money boat in my opinion.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Hev

In article none ** "hev ** writes:

No. I purchased those CD's when bandwidth and p2p technology wasn't
readily
available. And I still buy CD's when I love the album/artist.

Oh, so you just download music from artists you don't like? How does
this benefit either you or the artist?

I preview music to see if I would like an album. The artists benefit from
the exposure. One google search on the band name and there is the website.
Buy a t-shirt.

By using P2P to bypass the labels that have screwed over their artists
and customers. . . .

You are also bypassing the artists

See above.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Dave Martin

"Hev" wrote in message

I think everyone has the right to free music.

And HERE'S the crux of the problem, folks. This boy wants something for
nothing.

I must say, though, on one level you're right. You have the right to MAKE
music for free. You just don't have the right to steal other people's music.
Why don't you buy a guitar and sing some songs? There's your free music. Of
course, you'll have to spend a little time and energy learning how to play
the guitar, and that means that it's no longer 'free'...

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

Troy

Hev.......P2P could mean mega bucks.....YES.....but the problem is no one
has figured out a way to collect royalties and make it work for all parties
involved.Once you make one P2P legal and start collecting royalties 10 more
illigal ones would pop up.It all comes down to ethics and like I said in
another post "the honor system".

Who ever does come up with a system for P2P to make the record labels
happy,the artists happy and the down loaders happy is going to be a very
rich man.I am sure there are thousands of software companies trying to come
up with the winning soloution as we argue these points.

But for now THEFT is THEFT and no matter how you try and sugar coat it and
tell people its a generation thing its still wrong.

Hev wrote in message

[...]

hank alrich

Hev wrote:

I think
everyone has the right to free music.

And food, and shelter, and medical help... how wee the musicians going
to get those from your theft? Oh, nevermind, they won't.

--

ha
hank alrich

Dave Martin wrote:

And HERE'S the crux of the problem, folks. This boy wants something for
nothing.

How about free brains? Maybe get one that isn't deeply into
rationalizing inapropriate behavior.

I must say, though, on one level you're right. You have the right to MAKE
music for free. You just don't have the right to steal other people's music.
Why don't you buy a guitar and sing some songs? There's your free music. Of
course, you'll have to spend a little time and energy learning how to play
the guitar, and that means that it's no longer 'free'...

And then there are strings, picks, capos, fret recrowning jobs (4 of
those since I got the McCollum, less than three years ago - Lance
must've used cheap frets or something), beer, ganga (my guitar teacher),
and most of all, literally, the instrument. But it's worth every
penny...

....because of the free pussy.

I want to download free Brauners and Lawsons and Josephsons, free Great
Rivers (the electronical kind, not the squirters), free Cranesongs
(heard 'em flying over last week but they wouldn't let me dial 'em in),
free Lavry's, and more, much more, but those won't fit through my modem.

--
ha

hank alrich

Troy wrote:

Or he could learn to play the Kazzoo.I hear there is a good market for free
Kazzoo music on P2P :-)

If Maria Muldaur or my first wife is playing the kazoo, I'm willing to
pay for it.

--
ha
Hev

"Hev" wrote in message

I think everyone has the right to free music.

And HERE'S the crux of the problem, folks. This boy wants something for
nothing.

No. The crux of the problem is that technology has rendered copyright
useless. Time to adapt. Don't believe me? Listen to David Bowie:

The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music
will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it.
I see absolutely no point in pretending that it's not going to happen. I'm
fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10
years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing."
- David Bowie June 9th, 2002

He gets it. People in this thread have been useless whiners resistant to
change.
--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

John

On 3/4/05 9:21 PM, in article
, "Dave Martin"
wrote:

"Hev" wrote in message

I think everyone has the right to free music.

And HERE'S the crux of the problem, folks. This boy wants something for
nothing.

Hey.. Wayyyy before we get THERE, there's a SERIOUS Fantasy Island
cluelessness here about what the heck a 'right' is and how you 'have' one.

John

"Hev" wrote in message

I think everyone has the right to free music.

And HERE'S the crux of the problem, folks. This boy wants something for
nothing.

No. The crux of the problem is that technology has rendered copyright
useless. Time to adapt. Don't believe me? Listen to David Bowie:

The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music
will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it.
I see absolutely no point in pretending that it's not going to happen. I'm
fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10
years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing."
- David Bowie June 9th, 2002

He gets it. People in this thread have been useless whiners resistant to
change.

What you don't get (and I'll wager Mr Bowie DOES as he's is pretty far
beyond either 'clueless' or 'stupid') is that what he says here is NOT news,
is NOT garbage but IS --incomplete-- as it merely states what will CHANGE,
and like any bad lazy writer, you;ve assumed gleefully that the CHANGE is
the RESULT adn that you can believe in your tunnelvisioned view, can
blissfully ignore actually looking at the reality of what the change's
repercussions will be. Try this:
If somehow LOCKS were made magically ineffective overnight, it WOULD mean a
BIG adaptation to the New Order, but you can be DAMNED sure that said 'new
order' would NOT include the doltheaded whiners' dopedream that 'dude!
everything's like FREE now man! All those oldsters who can;t adapt are like
just not with the new-order revolution thing!'...

Bob Cain

play on wrote:

And if what "all other businesses do" is a yardstick for ethics, spare
me. I can certainly be argued that the music business in general is
an ethically-challenged environment when compared to others.

C'mon, Al. _All_ business, top to bottom, big to small
operates on the principle of paying as little as possible
for something it will, in turn, sell for as much as it can
get consistent with people buying it. Always has, always will.

The music business is _no_ different except for the fact
that high bandwidth personal interconnect is destroying its
ability to do business by enabling rampant theft. The only
reason that the publishing business isn't in similar trouble
is that people who still read tend to have better ethics.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Hev

"Hev" wrote in message

[...]

How can you say a statement like "copyright will no longer exist in 10
years" to be incomplete? That says it all.

And calling me clueless and stupid is only belittling the little you
actually had to say.

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

Lorin David Schultz

"hev" wrote:

Can you back that up with a link?

Probably, but talk about irrelevant...

"It *MUST* be true... I read it on the internet!"

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Hev

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
"hev" wrote:

Can you back that up with a link?

Probably, but talk about irrelevant...

"It *MUST* be true... I read it on the internet!"

Didn't think so.

Hev

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

play on wrote:

And if what "all other businesses do" is a yardstick for ethics, spare
me. I can certainly be argued that the music business in general is
an ethically-challenged environment when compared to others.

C'mon, Al. _All_ business, top to bottom, big to small operates on the
principle of paying as little as possible for something it will, in turn,
sell for as much as it can get consistent with people buying it. Always
has, always will.

The music business is _no_ different except for the fact that high
bandwidth personal interconnect is destroying its ability to do business
by enabling rampant theft. The only reason that the publishing business
isn't in similar trouble is that people who still read tend to have better
ethics.

I have to say I couldn't agree less. Think of a business that locked its
vendors into contracts where making money was an uphill battle. Does that
seem just to you?

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me he
www.michaelYOURspringerOPINION.com

John

On 3/4/05 11:32 PM, in article , "Hev"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
On 3/4/05 10:44 PM, in article
, "Hev"

"Hev" wrote in message

[...]

Yep, it would.
That you forced that interpretation from where I said no such thing speaks
volumes.
You take it easy out there.