J. Tyler

Default Why do stereo components lack ground plugs?

Does anyone know the main reason computers have 3-pronged plugs but
most consumer stereo gear doesn't? Is it less vulnerable to surges,
even with all the microprocessors in modern receivers?

JT

P.S. I notice laptops rarely have ground plugs either. Must be a clue
there.
Henry Mydlarz

Many years ago I read a technical article which stated that in a situation
where each component in a stereo is grounded, then there is the ground of
the interconnecting signal cables, that can create a "ground loop" with a
resulting hum. Some years ago when I used to service ATMs, such a dual
grounded communications adapter box caused some interesting intermittent
communications dropouts.

Henry

"J. Tyler" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know the main reason computers have 3-pronged plugs but
most consumer stereo gear doesn't? Is it less vulnerable to surges,
even with all the microprocessors in modern receivers?

JT

P.S. I notice laptops rarely have ground plugs either. Must be a clue
there.

Richard D Pierce

In article , Todd H. wrote:
(J. Tyler) writes:
P.S. I notice laptops rarely have ground plugs either. Must be a clue
there.

Laptops differ from desktop computers in that their power supplies are
isolated from the AC mains via battery isolation essentially.

No, they are not. The battery provides NO isolation at all when
the power supply/line cord is attached to the wall.

Laptops don't have ground plugs because they have the internal
design necessary to meet isolation standards.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |

mike

Richard D Pierce wrote:
In article , Todd H. wrote:

(J. Tyler) writes:

P.S. I notice laptops rarely have ground plugs either. Must be a clue
there.

Laptops differ from desktop computers in that their power supplies are
isolated from the AC mains via battery isolation essentially.

No, they are not. The battery provides NO isolation at all when
the power supply/line cord is attached to the wall.

Laptops don't have ground plugs because they have the internal
design necessary to meet isolation standards.

That's not the case either, except in the case of models that plug
direclty into the wall. Most laptops use a wall wart. The wall wart
is double insulated and is not required to have a ground pin.

Using a wall wart relieves the computer manufacturer from all manner of
regulatory problems. They've been taken care of by the wart vendor.
As long as you keep the output voltage below 42.5V, your regulatory
issues are very much easier to handle.

mike
laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Richard Crowley

"J. Tyler" wrote ...
Does anyone know the main reason computers have 3-pronged
plugs but most consumer stereo gear doesn't?

Partly tradition. And I suspect somewhat to avoid ground loops.
Pro audio equipment tends to use 3-wire power cables, but then
it is assumed that the user is better equipped to handle shielding
and grounding problems like ground loops.

Ground loops are rarely a problem with computers (except when
we interconnect them with sound equipment!)

Is it less vulnerable to surges, even with all the
microprocessors in modern receivers?

Doesn't really have anything to do with surge protection.

P.S. I notice laptops rarely have ground plugs either.
Must be a clue there.

Most equipment that use wall-warts use 2-pin power plugs.
Isolation is provided within the wall-wart. Laptop computers
are little different than any other equipment that uses external
mains power supplies/chargers.

Richard Crowley

"rstlne" wrote ...
A AC Ground adapter that removes ground? ..
I dont think that's verry wise..

Most law-making jurisdictions agree. Those ground-lifting adapters
are illegal in most places these days. Doesn't prevent them from
being useful in some situations, however. I used one to break
a ground loop going to a video projector last summer. Note that
if there weren't already TWO grounds, there wouldn't be a ground
LOOP (by definition!)

Maybee take an isolation transformer with you..

That also interrupts the ground.

The battery probably provides isolation because it isnt
connected to the same ground that the power company
uses..

The "battery ground" is on the isolated side of the wall-wart.

Ever held a battery in your hand?
ever notice how a car battery wont shock you when
your cleanign either terminal?

Low-voltage batteries don't have enough voltage to push
any kind of current through your high-impedance epidermis.
I don't see the connection with the current discussion about
power line grounding.

I mean .. okay.. I might not be the brightest lightbulb but
your statement seems a little silly to me so maybee I am
reading it wrong

You appear to be mixing several different issues together.

If your removing the earth line from electronic equipment (on a
professional basis) then I would say that your probably liable
for damages if anyone gets shock'd, but that's just me

Conventional wisdom, petty bureraucrats, and plantiff's attorneys
all agree. :-)

GregS

In article , "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"rstlne" wrote ...
A AC Ground adapter that removes ground? ..
I dont think that's verry wise..

Most law-making jurisdictions agree. Those ground-lifting adapters
are illegal in most places these days. Doesn't prevent them from
being useful in some situations, however. I used one to break
a ground loop going to a video projector last summer. Note that

The problem here is obviously the lack of isolation between signal
ground and chassis ground which in most cases should always be separate.
Don't forget, most commercially wired isolation transformers are sold with the
ground tied to one leg of the output. This does not isolate ground, but does cut
noise way down.

greg

J. Tyler

"Henry Mydlarz" wrote in message u...

Many years ago I read a technical article which stated that in a situation
where each component in a stereo is grounded, then there is the ground of
the interconnecting signal cables, that can create a "ground loop" with a
resulting hum.

With CAR stereo ground leads (I've never had noise problems with
interconnects) that's usually fixed by grounding all components at the
same chassis location. That's DC though, and the components depend on
grounding to complete their power circuits. It makes sense that you'd
want to totally isolate AC-powered components.

JT
Rusty Boudreaux

"J. Tyler" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know the main reason computers have 3-pronged plugs

but
most consumer stereo gear doesn't? Is it less vulnerable to

surges,
even with all the microprocessors in modern receivers?

It's purely a design/economic decision.

Having the earth connection can:
1. Make meeting emission limits easier since you can shunt
common mode noise.
2. If low voltage secondaries are earthed then it reduces safety
clearances (actually creepage distances) by half.

If the product is designed for international use then reinforced
insulation is required anyway so earthing the secondary doesn't
reduce margins. Unless there's a good reason to earth the
secondary (like ensuring SELV) the only advantage of having the
third wire is for meeting emissions. If the product can be
designed to meet SELV and emissions without the third wire the
manufacturer can save money on the cord. Those molded IEC
connectors are much more expensive than a hard wired cord with
grommet.