Howard Davis

Default Best CD making software?

What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for doing
post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and an electronics
engineer.

I have a four song studio-recorded CD with some vocal pops, slightly thin
sound, and other technical flaws on some of the cuts. I'd like to improve it
one cut at a time using filtering, EQ, ambience/reverb enhancement, etc.
After optimizing all four cuts, I want to burn them onto a CD-R for use by
Disc Makers as a duplication master.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Arny Krueger

"Howard Davis" wrote in message

What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for
doing post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and
an electronics engineer.

Consider Cool Edit. Since you don't want to do multi-tracking or LP noise
reduction the basic CoolEdit 2000 product should suffice. Shareware from
www.syntrillium.com.

I have a four song studio-recorded CD with some vocal pops, slightly
thin sound, and other technical flaws on some of the cuts. I'd like
to improve it one cut at a time using filtering, EQ, ambience/reverb
enhancement, etc. After optimizing all four cuts, I want to burn them
onto a CD-R for use by Disc Makers as a duplication master.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Wood

"Howard Davis" wrote in message
What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for doing
post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and an

electronics
engineer.

I have a four song studio-recorded CD with some vocal pops, slightly thin
sound, and other technical flaws on some of the cuts. I'd like to improve

it
one cut at a time using filtering, EQ, ambience/reverb enhancement, etc.
After optimizing all four cuts, I want to burn them onto a CD-R for use by
Disc Makers as a duplication master.

Sonic Foundry CD Architect 5 is great, but may be a little expensive for a
one-off. Free demo on their website.

geoff

Chris Goosman

Paul Dormer wrote:
"Howard Davis" wrote:

What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for doing
post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and an electronics
engineer.

Employ a professional?

Moderate: +1 Funny. Oh wait, I thought this was slashdot.org. ;-)

Seriously, as has been mentioned before, it depends on your platform.
I use Nero for a couple things on the PC side, but mostly Masterlist and
Toast on the Mac side. There are others, some people like other things
better, but I don't know that we have enough info to properly answer.

Chris Goosman

John L Rice

I'd recommend Steinberg's WaveLab, although it's not inexpensive. It's very
versatile, powerful and easy to use. There is a 'lite' version too I think
that costs less and has less features. Go here :
http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/products/
and select Wavelab or WaveLab Essentials in the products drop down.

Here is a feature comparison chart :
ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/fwd/info_dow...rt_en_209K.pdf

Nero Burning ROM is also very good but it really doesn't have any editing /
processing feature like WaveLab does.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

"Howard Davis" wrote in message
What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for doing
post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and an

electronics
engineer.

I have a four song studio-recorded CD with some vocal pops, slightly thin
sound, and other technical flaws on some of the cuts. I'd like to improve

it
one cut at a time using filtering, EQ, ambience/reverb enhancement, etc.
After optimizing all four cuts, I want to burn them onto a CD-R for use by
Disc Makers as a duplication master.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:03:48 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Howard Davis" wrote in message

What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for
doing post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and
an electronics engineer.

Consider Cool Edit. Since you don't want to do multi-tracking or LP noise
reduction the basic CoolEdit 2000 product should suffice. Shareware from
www.syntrillium.com.

Cool Edit/Syntrillium was bought by Adobe well over a year
ago. Try Audition 1.5 and, yes, it does multitrack.

Mike

Take out the papers & the TRASH...
Chris Cavell

In order of highest to lowest cost...also (roughly) most to least
versatile:

1)sequoia
2)samplitude
3)wavelab
4)cd architect

All depend upon having the right plugins for the job, and a plextor
burner for burning and QC of the replication master.

If you go with discmakers, be sure to check the reference they send you
thoroughly: isrc codes, cd-text, QC (error checking), etc. before
approving the run.

Arny Krueger

Chris Cavell wrote:
In order of highest to lowest cost...also (roughly) most

to least
versatile:

1)sequoia
2)samplitude
3)wavelab
4)cd architect

All depend upon having the right plugins for the job, and

a plextor
burner for burning and QC of the replication master.

If you go with discmakers, be sure to check the reference

they send
you thoroughly: isrc codes, cd-text, QC (error checking),

etc. before
approving the run.

Obviously this list is highly incomplete, because it doesn't
mention Audition/CE.

Chris Cavell

Arny, I was trying to keep the prices within a certain amount of reason
while still retaining the potential for professional quality results.
For that reason, of course the list is incomplete. (I actually had
sonic solutions #1 in my list for the ability to create actual pmcd rep
masters and removed it for the stated reason.)

Arny Krueger

Chris Cavell wrote:
Arny, I was trying to keep the prices within a certain

amount of
reason while still retaining the potential for

professional quality
results.

So what are you saying?

(1) Audition is too cheap
(2) Audition is too expensive
(3) Audition is incapable of producing professional results

Chris Cavell

Arny, I'm not saying (or intending to imply) any of the above. What I
did say is that the list would obviously be incomplete.

I have no personal experience with Adobe's audition software, and as
such did not include it on my list. Based solely on what I've read
about the software's cost and capabilities (not reliable familiarity),
I'd imagine that it would probably fall somewhere b/w Wavelab and
CD-Architect on my list.

Cheers,
Chris

George M. Middius

Chris Cavell said:

Arny, I'm not saying (or intending to imply) any of the above.

And this month's award for Most Cryptic Usenet Post goes to......

Tim Martin

"Howard Davis" wrote in message

"What would be the most cost effective and user friendly software for
doing post-production work on a studio-made CD? I am a musician and
an electronics engineer."

I suppose it must depend on what you want to do, but for musicians,
Steinberg's Cubasis VST strikes me as stunning value for money. There are
lots of effects plug-ins available, and some are free.

You can use it as the basis of a home studio, too ... for anything not
requiring microphones, you can do your own recording at home. And it's also
a MIDI sequencer, so it's useful for composition.

It's also got some kind of internet hookuop, so you can work with other
musicians in distant locations. But I've not tried this.

Tim