Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default DJ software with specific options?

I have a series of songs that I want to feed into a DJ program for auto
fading, add any compression or EQ, and then save the resulting as a wave
file to be burned to a CD or just used as-is later. I downloaded a free
DJ program called Mixxx. Although it had impressive auto fade ins and
outs (using auto DJ function), I am unable to start auto fade at a
preset time for each song (in other words, I want to start the fade out
process at 1 min regardless of song length) nor does it have compression
plugins. Is there any other free alternatives that might have what I'm
seeking? If not, that's a lot of songs I am going to have to trim in my
DAW, add compression or limiting, and then feed into Mixxx. I just
thought these extra steps might be eliminated if the DJ program was
sufficient. Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/06/2019 4:37 PM, JBI wrote:
I have a series of songs that I want to feed into a DJ program for auto
fading, add any compression or EQ, and then save the resulting as a wave
file to be burned to a CD or just used as-is later.Â* I downloaded a free
DJ program called Mixxx.Â* Although it had impressive auto fade ins and
outs (using auto DJ function), I am unable to start auto fade at a
preset time for each song (in other words, I want to start the fade out
process at 1 min regardless of song length) nor does it have compression
plugins.Â* Is there any other free alternatives that might have what I'm
seeking?Â* If not, that's a lot of songs I am going to have to trim in my
DAW, add compression or limiting, and then feed into Mixxx.Â* I just
thought these extra steps might be eliminated if the DJ program was
sufficient.Â* Thanks.

Unless something effectively random and unrelated to the actual music is
OK with you, I would expect a lot of trimming and custom-fading in an
audio editor would be highly desirable.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"JBI" :

I have a series of songs that I want to feed into a DJ program for auto
fading, add any compression or EQ, and then save the resulting as a wave
file to be burned to a CD or just used as-is later. I downloaded a free
DJ program called Mixxx. Although it had impressive auto fade ins and
outs (using auto DJ function), I am unable to start auto fade at a preset
time for each song (in other words, I want to start the fade out process
at 1 min regardless of song length) nor does it have compression plugins.
Is there any other free alternatives that might have what I'm seeking? If
not, that's a lot of songs I am going to have to trim in my DAW, add
compression or limiting, and then feed into Mixxx. I just thought these
extra steps might be eliminated if the DJ program was sufficient. Thanks.

"Traktor DJ 2" is available for free now. It does run stand-alone = WITHOUT
the hardware controller, which can be used additionally, if one desires to.
I don´t know exactly, what it can do, but Traktor has been one of the
most-used DJ programs for years. So, there might be a slight chance, that
it´s sufficient for your needs.

Get it from he
https://www.native-instruments.com/e.../traktor-dj-2/

Otherwise, use a DAW or audio editor that meets your requirements.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/11/2019 12:37 AM, JBI wrote:
I want to start the fade out process at 1 min regardless of song length)
nor does it have compression plugins.Â* Is there any other free
alternatives that might have what I'm seeking?Â* If not, that's a lot of
songs I am going to have to trim in my DAW, add compression or limiting,
and then feed into Mixxx.

I don't know anything about specific DJ software, but I can't imagine a
DJ wanting the same fade on every song, so I'm not surprised that you
can't find that feature. As far as EQ. compression, and limiting, you
might find a "mastering" feature that makes its best guess as to what a
song might need to make it sound more like a target song, but usually
this is done by ear with the DJ getting his own sound.

Honestly, I think you're either just being too lazy or you're expecting
AI to take over your job prematurely. With all the things you've been
asking for, it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do
with the material, but you should be doing it like an engineer. You can
open a song in an editor program, find the end, highlight one minute
back, and press the Fadeout button. You might find that it's fading too
fast or too slow and you'll want to try a different curve.

You can do this in Audacity, but I'd suggest Sound Forge Studio. It's
$59, but they have a "365" version that's a subscription version,
$5/month with the first month for $1 so you can try it out. You'll
probably like it.

https://www.magix.com/us/music/sound...-audio-studio/

or a better deal is last year's version, Audio Studio 12, for $23 from
Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/SOUND-FORGE-A.../dp/B074PYNPJK

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rasta Robert Rasta Robert is offline

On 2019-06-11, JBI wrote:
I have a series of songs that I want to feed into a DJ program for auto
fading, add any compression or EQ, and then save the resulting as a wave
file to be burned to a CD or just used as-is later. I downloaded a free
DJ program called Mixxx. Although it had impressive auto fade ins and
outs (using auto DJ function), I am unable to start auto fade at a
preset time for each song (in other words, I want to start the fade out
process at 1 min regardless of song length) nor does it have compression
plugins. Is there any other free alternatives that might have what I'm
seeking? If not, that's a lot of songs I am going to have to trim in my
DAW, add compression or limiting, and then feed into Mixxx. I just
thought these extra steps might be eliminated if the DJ program was
sufficient. Thanks.

Not DJ software, but it can do what you want, to make a playlist
with fade-overs and some dynamic processing and write it to a single file.
Check out Foobar2000 at http://www.foobar2000.org/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/11/19 7:42 AM, Rasta Robert wrote:

Not DJ software, but it can do what you want, to make a playlist
with fade-overs and some dynamic processing and write it to a single file.
Check out Foobar2000 at http://www.foobar2000.org/

Thanks for this. I did find a Linux version and I am running it now on
a library of songs. One thing I'm noticing is that it doesn't crossfade
all songs, not sure why. For the ones it does fade, it is doing well.
Seems to have several types of limiters but no compressors really. I
can't really
tell if it is truly limiting or not. Nice program to try out though,
certainly a step up from VLC player I normally use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

On 6/11/19 6:46 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:

I don't know anything about specific DJ software, but I can't imagine a
DJ wanting the same fade on every song, so I'm not surprised that you
can't find that feature.

This is for personal preferences, not as a DJ, which is something I am
not.

As far as EQ. compression, and limiting, you
might find a "mastering" feature that makes its best guess as to what a
song might need to make it sound more like a target song, but usually
this is done by ear with the DJ getting his own sound.

I'm beginning to come up with that conclusion.

Honestly, I think you're either just being too lazy or you're expecting
AI to take over your job prematurely. With all the things you've been
asking for, it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do
with the material, but you should be doing it like an engineer. You can
open a song in an editor program, find the end, highlight one minute
back, and press the Fadeout button. You might find that it's fading too
fast or too slow and you'll want to try a different curve.

Probably this is what I'm going to end up doing, but it's going to take
a lot of time with the number of songs I have.

You can do this in Audacity, but I'd suggest Sound Forge Studio. It's
$59, but they have a "365" version that's a subscription version,
$5/month with the first month for $1 so you can try it out. You'll
probably like it.

https://www.magix.com/us/music/sound...-audio-studio/

or a better deal is last year's version, Audio Studio 12, for $23 from
Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/SOUND-FORGE-A.../dp/B074PYNPJK

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/06/2019 2:37 pm, JBI wrote:
I have a series of songs that I want to feed into a DJ program for auto
fading, add any compression or EQ, and then save the resulting as a wave
file to be burned to a CD or just used as-is later.Â* I downloaded a free
DJ program called Mixxx.Â* Although it had impressive auto fade ins and
outs (using auto DJ function), I am unable to start auto fade at a
preset time for each song (in other words, I want to start the fade out
process at 1 min regardless of song length) nor does it have compression
plugins.Â* Is there any other free alternatives that might have what I'm
seeking?Â* If not, that's a lot of songs I am going to have to trim in my
DAW, add compression or limiting, and then feed into Mixxx.Â* I just
thought these extra steps might be eliminated if the DJ program was
sufficient.Â* Thanks.

Most DAW's could easily do what you want with a script/macro. You don't
say what one you are currently using. Have you checked?