Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Tech: Carver Dolby Pro Sound Reciever HR-895

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip

It's very hard to actually fix a broken component over the web.

Yeah, the soldering part is particularly difficult....

jak
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Even though, as Arnie pointed out, a lot of repairs are 95% diagnosis
and 5% actual repair (in other words, easy to fix once you figure out
what the problem is), there's no way in hell you're going to diagnose
the problem by bugging people here and repeatedly asking "What's wrong
with it?".
You have to at least get your hands on a schematic. They're out there.

What has he said so far that gives you the idea he could read and understand
one, let alone use it to figure out what exactly is wrong with his amp?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 1/20/2009 11:11 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Even though, as Arnie pointed out, a lot of repairs are 95% diagnosis
and 5% actual repair (in other words, easy to fix once you figure out
what the problem is), there's no way in hell you're going to diagnose
the problem by bugging people here and repeatedly asking "What's wrong
with it?".
You have to at least get your hands on a schematic. They're out there.

What has he said so far that gives you the idea he could read and understand
one, let alone use it to figure out what exactly is wrong with his amp?

Well, he says he works on pinball machines, which presumably require
knowledge of reading schematics, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jamesgangnc jamesgangnc is offline

I work on pinball machines and stereos. I have two pinballs and one upright
arcade. Plus a pile of stereo gear. Some skills are trasferrable and you
probably can fix some stereo problems. But this unit is digitally
controlled and troubleshooting it will be a chore. First you need a
schematic and service manual. The service manual will expain the operation
and may even have some troubleshooting guidance. You will need some test
gear as well. You will most likely need more than a vom. I'm assuming you
have done some web searching to see if this is a common bug in this
particular system. It sounds like the initial system reaction is to perform
the requested function and then it cycles back so it seems like some
possible safety function is being tripped or some other piece of data to
complete the operation is failing to be returned. The service manual will
probably explain what signals are required to complete each operation. From
that you will get some idea of where to start. I'd suspect a safety signal
from the output section is putting it into some sort of protection mode.
But that's just a wild ass guess without a service manual.

Since there are zillions of different units out there you can't expect to
find someone in a news group that will have first hand knowledge on
servicing this particular unit. There are a number of people in this group
that probably could help you but not without a schematic and service manual.

wrote in message
On Jan 20, 7:05 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/20/2009 3:00 PM spake thus:

Look at
thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380097152242
I have the same problem. All im asking from you guys is
Whats wrong
Where in the receiver is it
How to fix it.

First of all, how the hell is posting a link to an eBay auction of
*another* non-working unit (whose owner has no clue why it doesn't work)
supposed to help?

You apparently haven't been getting the message, that there are lots and
lots of things that could be wrong with your receiver--could be a blown
chip, transistor, relay, etc., etc.--and that you seem to lack the
diagnostic skills to determine what the problem is.

Even though, as Arnie pointed out, a lot of repairs are 95% diagnosis
and 5% actual repair (in other words, easy to fix once you figure out
what the problem is), there's no way in hell you're going to diagnose
the problem by bugging people here and repeatedly asking "What's wrong
with it?".

You have to at least get your hands on a schematic. They're out there.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

I dont know how to diagnose it but I work on pinball machines not
stereos. One of you guys from the information i have given should have
been able to help...not really.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David L. Martel[_2_] David L. Martel[_2_] is offline

Default Carver Dolby Pro Sound Reciever HR-895

Jack,

You are unable to describe your problem in the detail necessary to allow
anyone to guess at a cause.
You need to find someone who likes playing with electroics. There are
usually a few of these in any high school. Ask around until you find one or
two. Get them to help you.
They'll probably want the schematic. If it's not in the owners manual
you'll probably need to buy one.

Dave M.

Berrin Berrin is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schwartz View Post
wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just don't know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Jack,

I've read all of the other posts (so far)and have to agree that it
would be unlikely that you'll be able to fix this unit yourself.
However, there are a couple of things that you can check for yourself,
as long as you are good with PC board soldering and an ohm meter.

This unit was a 'customized' (for Carver) version of a Marantz SR-92
receiver. Carver issued a bulletin suggesting changing R902 in the
power supply to a 47 ohm 2W flame proof resistor, and at the same time
change the 'hologram relay' to their part number LY20240400, what ever
that is. I would at least find R902 and make sure that it is not open.

These amps also run very hot and sometimes the small driver
transistors in the front amps need to be resoldered or replaced. As I
recall, look at Q701 and 703 in the left channel, and Q702 and 704 in
the right. Q701 and 702 are 2SA1145, and Q703 and 704 are 2SC2705. If
they look cooked, you might want to replace them. I'd check them with
an ohm meter first to see if they are still functional. The transistors
can be ordered from many suppliers, among them (in the US) MCM
Electronics (
www.mcmelectronics.com). You should check over the
soldering of that area of the PC board while you are there.

Lastly, there is a reset button ,S801, on the main board near the
center that should set everything back to factory default.

My final comment is that if you don't know how to ohm-meter check a
transistor, or have a friend who does, then its time to visit a repair shop.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Hi Where do i find the service manual for Carver HR 895,my system works fine but the tone control i.e. bass,treble does not fuction.Or from where can i download the service manual for Carver HR895 or Marantz SR92. Are these two models the same ,what about voltages and other components.
Berrin Berrin is offline

wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim Where do i find the service manual for Carver HR 895,my system works fine but the tone control i.e. bass,treble does not fuction.Or from where can i download the service manual for Carver HR895 or Marantz SR92. Are these two models the same ,what about voltages and other components.

old tech reciever foggie Tech 1 January 19th 07 01:55 PM
How to get DTS or Dolby sound out of my TV ?? Kate Jackson Pro Audio 5 June 20th 05 04:06 AM
FA: Carver DPL-20 (DPL20) Dolby Pro-Logic Processor Dean Marketplace 0 April 23rd 04 04:02 AM
FA: Carver DPL-20 (DPL20) Dolby Pro-Logic Processor Dean Marketplace 0 April 23rd 04 04:02 AM
Reciever (Carver HR-895) intermittantly turning itself off. Can I fix? Jess Tech 8 February 16th 04 01:35 PM