Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Dave is offline

Default Turntable advice sought.

My current turntable is a B&O TX with an MMC2 cartridge, the one with the r=
uby cantilever. It has served me well since 1985, just replacing the cartr=
idge now and again, but is now showing its age. The record turning and lin=
ear tonearm are working like new, but some bits, held on with a double-side=
d tape, are coming adrift, including the cover over the tonearm and the mai=
n plate surrounding the turntable. None of these seem to affect the sound.=
The automatic operation still works properly. The other age issue is tha=
t B&O no longer make cartridges and the Soundsmith ones are rather expensiv=
e. I am probably overdue for a new cartridge.

My thoughts have been running to replacing the table with a Project Carbon,=
have read very good things about it, or getting another automatic table, l=
ike a Denon 300, probably with a better cartridge than the AT one it comes =
with, maybe a Shure 97.

Here is where I need some advice. Local shops, like QAudio, claim to have =
tables in store, but I doubt that I would be able to tell by listening if t=
hey sound as good or better than the B&O. Everything would be different - m=
ounting shelf, amplifier and speakers. My options are to fix the B&O with=
automotive double sided tape and get a Soundsmith SMMC2 (maybe SMMC1?) or =
get a new table. I like having the fully automatic feature. My previous t=
able was an Linn LP12 with a Grace 707 and Dynavector cartridge, think it w=
as a 103, but that was nearly 30 years ago. I loved it, but it needed cons=
tant care and the fully manual operation caused my wife some problems.

Ancillary equipment is Pioneer SC-37 receiver with very quiet phone preamp,=
good thing as the MMC2 is low output and Spendor S5e speakers. I have bee=
n checking local (Boston area) Craiglist for turntables, but have not seen =
anything in the last several months that looked appealing.

Any thoughts out there?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Dave is offline

Well, the fever hit me bad while at Qaudio yesterday and I bought a used Te=
chnics SL-1600 mk2 with a new Denon 110 cartridge. No regrets so far and i=
t seems a lot better than either the Denon or Pro-ject decks I was consider=
ing The low output Denon is not much lower than the B&O MMC2, but it seems=
to track worn records better, or maybe the MMC2 was just aged out.

About a dozen records down now and still happy.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 8:02:34 PM UTC-4, Dave wrote:
My current turntable is a B&O TX with an MMC2 cartridge, the one with the=

ruby cantilever. It has served me well since 1985, just replacing the car=
tridge now and again, but is now showing its age. The record turning and l=
inear tonearm are working like new, but some bits, held on with a double-si=
ded tape, are coming adrift, including the cover over the tonearm and the m=
ain plate surrounding the turntable. None of these seem to affect the soun=
d. The automatic operation still works properly. The other age issue is t=
hat B&O no longer make cartridges and the Soundsmith ones are rather expens=
ive. I am probably overdue for a new cartridge.
=20
=20
=20
[...]

Stick with linear. I have a 'since 1978' HK/Rabco that has served me well a=
nd spoiled me thoroughly - but I recently restored a Revox and have another=
Rabco in reserve. The benefit of the above is that they will accept any gi=
ven cartridge you choose - not limited to the B&O stuff for which the world=
is sought in price and barely a small asteroid is delivered in performance=
..=20

Best of luck with finding a replacement!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

technical advice/opinions sought Santos L Halper High End Audio 11 August 1st 05 04:31 PM
6550 tubes advice sought Isaacson Vacuum Tubes 3 July 5th 05 03:33 AM
Advice sought Jon Yaeger Vacuum Tubes 14 January 24th 05 11:53 AM
Advice sought. Patrick L. Pro Audio 3 September 14th 04 09:33 PM
Different Pre, Or Different Microphone? Advice Sought.... Bill Lorentzen Pro Audio 9 August 11th 03 12:34 AM