Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default A Recording From 150 Years Ago

This story from First Sounds is very interesting. These researchers found a way
to playback the first known recording.

http://firstsounds.org/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Henig Jeff Henig is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
This story from First Sounds is very interesting. These researchers found a way
to playback the first known recording.

http://firstsounds.org/

That's just wild.

Thanks for posting the link!

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Do they know what the sources of the "gargling", and raspy distortions are?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:56:17 -0500, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

Do they know what the sources of the "gargling", and raspy distortions are?

breaches in the time space continuum.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edi Zubovic Edi Zubovic is offline

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:38:02 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

This story from First Sounds is very interesting. These researchers found a way
to playback the first known recording.

http://firstsounds.org/

-- Excellent, I'm glad that photoscanning is advancing further. Btw.
on a recording, it seems to me that the man is not speaking
"Barometer" repeatedly, but a female name, Sarah Weissmueller (Sa-Rah
Weiss-Mueller).

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eberhard Sengpiel Eberhard Sengpiel is offline

"Jeff Henig" wrote:
This story from First Sounds is very interesting.
These researchers found a way
to playback the first known recording.

http://firstsounds.org/

That's just wild.
Thanks for posting the link!
---Jeff

Avoid the word "recording":
The phonautograph is the earliest known device for making
sound waves viewable! It was never recording and playback
device!
Because the phonautogram tracing was an insubstantial
two-dimensional line, direct physical playback was
impossible in any case; see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonautograph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89d...de_Martinville

Cheers ebs
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
news
This story from First Sounds is very interesting. These researchers found
a way
to playback the first known recording.

http://firstsounds.org/

What always intrigues me about these recordings is that inventor spent
several years tweaking and improving the recording process - but with no
means of playback! So how could he tell that a change was for the better or
worse? Only by *looking* at the result.

With today's tools for examining sound visually, it's easy to get too
focused on what the work looks like instead of what it sounds like, so I
think it's a little ironic that the first recordings were a purely visual
medium.

Sean