Living room sound for under $50?

Old March 10th 05, 12:51 AM
Binba

Default Living room sound for under $50?

I'm looking for the cheapest way to upgrade TV&DVD sound in our living
room (college-budget :-) Actually what I'm seeking is just "the next
step" beyond the TV's internal speakers, so I'm not even talking
surround. Btw the room is large, ~320sq.ft.

Seems like I have 3 options:

1. I have an old combo Sharp stereo system, seems like the power
transformator is dead. How much should fixing that cost?
2. Buy a used amp (starts at $50 in ebay) and use it with the stereo's
speakers.
3. Why spend $50+ on a used amp, if I can buy (brand new) one of these
computer speaker systems, 2.1 or even 5.1? For the same price you can
get 50-70W RMS.

What do you say? Any options I didn't think of?

Thanks,
Drew

Old March 10th 05, 06:22 PM
Bruce C. Miller

Binba wrote:
> I'm looking for the cheapest way to upgrade TV&DVD sound in our

living
> room (college-budget :-) Actually what I'm seeking is just "the next
> step" beyond the TV's internal speakers, so I'm not even talking
> surround. Btw the room is large, ~320sq.ft.
>
> Seems like I have 3 options:
>
> 1. I have an old combo Sharp stereo system, seems like the power
> transformator is dead. How much should fixing that cost?

You could try fixing it yourself. Since it's broken and not worth
anything, might as well try.

> 2. Buy a used amp (starts at $50 in ebay) and use it with the

stereo's
> speakers.

You can actually get decent old 80's receivers on ebay for around $20.
Like a Sansui, Marantz, Fisher, Pioneer, or something... There's really
nothing wrong with most of them, but the market is flooded, so a buyer
can get a good deal.

> 3. Why spend $50+ on a used amp, if I can buy (brand new) one of

these
> computer speaker systems, 2.1 or even 5.1? For the same price you can
> get 50-70W RMS.

Depends on what kinda speakers you have from your Sharp system. Those
might be better sounding than some tiny computer speakers. Plus most
computer speakers don't use RCA jacks.

Old March 11th 05, 01:44 AM

I'd try to fix the old Sharp just for fun. My guess is that it might
not actually be the power transformer. If it is you could build an
outboard P/S out of surplus cheap electrojunk.

Old March 11th 05, 08:13 AM
Barry Mann

In .com>, on 03/09/05

at 04:51 PM, "Binba" > said:

[ ... ]

>2. Buy a used amp (starts at $50 in ebay) and use it with the stereo's
>speakers.

[ ... ]

4. Connect the TV and/or DVD's output to the stereo.

5. Walk the street on trash day and be creative.

6. If you are in school, ask around, post a note, check the notes.

spam:
13> (Barry Mann)

Old March 11th 05, 07:55 PM
Binba

Thanks guys for all the replies. Trying to fix the stereo myself can be
fun... but so far all I know is this:
- It doesn't power up, nada.
- Upon plugging it in, the lamp at the other outlet did flicker
slightly.
- Everything inside looks in place, nothing burnt or loose.
- The transformer seems PCB-soldered. (could it be that it's in some
kind of a socket? I didn't really feel like touching it....)

So where do I go with that?

Old March 11th 05, 07:57 PM
Arny Krueger

"Binba" > wrote in message
ups.com
> Thanks guys for all the replies. Trying to fix the stereo myself can
> be fun... but so far all I know is this:
> - It doesn't power up, nada.
> - Upon plugging it in, the lamp at the other outlet did flicker
> slightly.
> - Everything inside looks in place, nothing burnt or loose.
> - The transformer seems PCB-soldered. (could it be that it's in some
> kind of a socket? I didn't really feel like touching it....)
>
> So where do I go with that?

Given your apparent expertise level - you need professional help to fix it.

Given the low cost of possible replacements, repairing it might easily be
uneconomical.