Susan

Default Need help with new Home Theatre system

I just purchased a Sony HT-4800DP Home Theatre System. It consists of
2 components - a CD/DVD player and a receiver. It also has
surround-sound speakers.

I would like to be able to play CDs with the audio coming out of the
surround sound speakers (which I have been able to do). However, I
would like my DVD sound to come from my television. (in case you're
wondering why... the speakers are in a separate room than the
television - I'm also not concerned with my DVDs having surround sound
at this time). The problem is that there is only ONE left/right Audio
output on the CD/DVD player. So it seems like I can chose either the
TV or the Receiver speakers. Does anyone have any suggestions? There
is no a/b speaker option to connect speakers in the same room as the
television. Can I use some sort of Audio output splitter?
Richard Crowley

"Susan" wrote ...
I just purchased a Sony HT-4800DP Home Theatre System.
It consists of 2 components - a CD/DVD player and a receiver.
It also has surround-sound speakers.

I would like to be able to play CDs with the audio coming
out of the surround sound speakers (which I have been able
to do). However, I would like my DVD sound to come from
my television.

Combining the responses from Msrs. Rubinson & Tam,
interconnecting the DVD player and the receiver via optical
(or RCA jack digital) is one option. But make sure that you
can play audio CDs via that method. Sometimes this only
works with 5.1 channel surround.

Else you can use Y-adapters like Radio Shack 274-881 or
274-303 or equivalent. Feed the Main L/R audio outputs from
the DVD/CD player to BOTH your TV set and your reciever.
With modern equipment, this has a 99% chance of working
great.

Jerry G.

Try a "Y" splitter. It should work, since your TV and sound system are
of high input impedance.

--

Jerry G.
======