soup salad

Default Presonus TubePre or simple DI box ?

hello

I got a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 mixer. It's old but i think the
preamp are quite good.

Now i need something to record my guitar. I thought of a Presonus
TubePre (around 150 euros), which has good reviews, or a simple DI Box
(a Samson S-Direct, 45 euros).
The question is : is the Presonus TubePre really better than my
Soundcraft's preamps ? Only because it has "Tube" inside it, so the
sound will get "warmer", "fatter" ?

i think my soundcraft's preamp sound very good. but with a mic
(example a SM57) i have to boost the level very high to have a good
gain, so maybe an external preamp would be good...

another question : is the Presonus BlueTube a double channel TubePre ?

thanks for any help

soup salad
John L Rice

"soup salad" wrote in message
om...
hello

I got a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 mixer. It's old but i think the
preamp are quite good.

Now i need something to record my guitar. I thought of a Presonus
TubePre (around 150 euros), which has good reviews, or a simple DI Box
(a Samson S-Direct, 45 euros).
The question is : is the Presonus TubePre really better than my
Soundcraft's preamps ? Only because it has "Tube" inside it, so the
sound will get "warmer", "fatter" ?

i think my soundcraft's preamp sound very good. but with a mic
(example a SM57) i have to boost the level very high to have a good
gain, so maybe an external preamp would be good...

another question : is the Presonus BlueTube a double channel TubePre ?

thanks for any help

soup salad

I think the Spirit pres are actually quite nice. I think the TubePre will
sound worse, better and sometimes pretty much the same, depending on the
situation. You can find TubePre's as low as $80. I think it might be
useful to you to get some different sounds but don't expect it to blow you
away. The tube doesn't make it better, just different.

The TubePre is pretty much a single channel BlueTube ( AFAIK )

Best of luck!

John L Rice

Guitarboy

In article , soup
salad wrote:

hello

I got a Soundcraft Spirit Studio 24 mixer. It's old but i think the
preamp are quite good.

Now i need something to record my guitar. I thought of a Presonus
TubePre (around 150 euros), which has good reviews, or a simple DI Box
(a Samson S-Direct, 45 euros).
The question is : is the Presonus TubePre really better than my
Soundcraft's preamps ? Only because it has "Tube" inside it, so the
sound will get "warmer", "fatter" ?

i think my soundcraft's preamp sound very good. but with a mic
(example a SM57) i have to boost the level very high to have a good
gain, so maybe an external preamp would be good...

another question : is the Presonus BlueTube a double channel TubePre ?

thanks for any help

soup salad

You're not specific as to what kind of guitar. acoustic? electric? i've
gotten good results with my spirit's pre's . one time my avalon was
down and used the spirit's pres along with an rnc and a U-195 on some
male vocals and it sounded incredible. anyway, you can't use a direct
box as a mic pre so you need to be more specific. as far as purchases
an rnc would be a better move and insert it in the channel on the
spirit that your're using to record.