Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Any info on 1960's University LTV monitor medallion speakers?

I have a pair of 1960's (?) vintage University LTV monitor medallion
speakers. I'm dating them based on the manufacture dates of the other
components with which I acquired them.

Any hints to manufacture date, key characteristics, or value?

I found out that University was a division of (or became?) Altec.

I've searched online, but can't find any source of information on these
speakers.

I might be stuck in google wasteland as "university speakers" turns up
too many hits to process and more specific searches don't turn up any
useful results at all.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

Date: 1 Jan 2006 15:06:41 -0800

I have a pair of 1960's (?) vintage University LTV monitor medallion
speakers. I'm dating them based on the manufacture dates of the other
components with which I acquired them.

Any hints to manufacture date, key characteristics, or value?

The EIA code for University is 847. You may find a code like 847 6503
on the speaker baskets. That would mean it was built in 1965 during the
3rd week.

I find a Medallion Monitor in a 1965 audio catalog I have. 40 watt
power rating. Three-way, 12" woofer, 8" mid and a "Sphericon super
tweeter." Retailed for $109.65 each then. Claimed response 25 to 40k
CPS. I'd rather doubt that claim.:-)

I don't think they are probably very sought after now, but perhaps
tubed audio people may desire them as these older speakers tend to be
much more efficient. You might try asking at rec.audio.tubes, or try
searching eBay for current value.

I hope this helps...