Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

Default Bits and Bass

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.
The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.
Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference? At what point
would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote ...
Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.

That is debated in both directions.

The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.

Why would it not?

Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference?

If you had hung about this neighborhood for any length of time,
you would have understood that this is a perennial topic of debate.

I commonly use 24-bit depth for recording live concerts to
take advantage of the greater dynamic range, to avoid getting
into trouble at either end of the scale.

At what point
would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

Why do you think it is frequency-dependent?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

On 2 Jan, 19:31, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote ...

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.

That is debated in both directions.

The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.

Why would it not?

Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference?

If you had hung about this neighborhood for any length of time,
you would have understood that this is a perennial topic of debate.

I commonly use 24-bit depth for recording live concerts to
take advantage of the greater dynamic range, to avoid getting
into trouble at either end of the scale.

At what point
would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

Why do you think it is frequency-dependent?

I don't know - that's what I'm asking.
Esp since the mass and stroke of the cone are vastly different in a
sub compared to a tweeter.
I suppose I could argue either way. For example, because the stroke is
longer more bits are required to get the same precision of absolute
movement.
OTOH the extra mass might 'blur' the precision - but then again the
extra power usually being fed in might cancel that effect.
Then there is the sensitivity of the ear to very low frequencies
compared to mid from which one might argue that extra bits of
precision don't matter as much low down. etc etc

What's the answer?

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.

Why not 192 kHz ?

The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.

What does the frequency or a woofer have to do with it ?

Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference?

24 bit audio converters don't actually offer true 24 bit precision, so
the number is largely a marketing thing.

At what point would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and
high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

Why do you think higher frequencies are 'degraded' ?

Your questions are normally quite same but this one has puzzled me.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

Why do you think it is frequency-dependent?

I don't know - that's what I'm asking.
Esp since the mass and stroke of the cone are vastly different in a
sub compared to a tweeter.

What's that got to do with ADCs or DACs ?

You sound very confused.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.
The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.
Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference? At what point
would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

You ask a very good question, and the answer requires a surprising
amount of knowledge of digital signals.

In a nutshell, and simplistically speaking, the bit resolution is
inversely proportional to the amount of wideband noise the digital
signal carries. This noise is spread evenly from 0 Hz to Fs / 2 Hz,
where Fs is the sample rate.

From this you can see that your question depends on the sample rate.
If you're reproducing a bass note at, say, 40 Hz but at a sample
rate of 44.1 kHz, then you're going to hear the noise all the way
up to 22.05 kHz (assuming you haven't listened to too much loud
music when you were a kid).

So even though the bass note is low, the noise from the digital signal
will continue to be high and in fact will be more audible with a
bass-only signal content due to the effect of masking (or lack thereof).

Now if you KNOW you're only ever going to be producing frequencies under
100 Hz, you can utilize decimation to gain several bits of resolution
due to the fact that you're grossly oversampling the signal. The number
of extra bits gained N_b is given by the equation

N_b = log_4(Fsi / Fso),

where "log_4" denotes the logarithm base 4, Fsi is the input sample
rate, and Fso is the output sample rate. So for your hypothetical
situation, Fsi = 96000, Fso = 200, and N_b = 4.45 bits. So you
would gain an extra 4.5 bits of resolution by decimating to 200 Hz.
That means that you could use an input resolution of 20 bits and
the output would still be better than 24 bits.

You can read some of the basics of oversampling in the comp.dsp
presentation I made a few years back on delta sigma data conversion:

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/presentation.pdf

--Randy

--
% Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface,
Posted to rec.audio.tech
John Phillips John Phillips is offline

On 2008-01-02, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.
The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a woofer eg at
frequencies under 100Hz.
Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference? ...

If you are talking of signal degradation due to quantization noise (which
appears, from the question, to be the case) then signal to quantization
noise ratio is *theoretically* independent of signal frequency (from
just below 1/2 the sampling rate right down to "DC").

For N bits, sampling rate Fs and considering wideband noise (over
frequency 0 to Fs/2):

SNR = (6.02N + 1.76) dB

Which does not depend on the signal frequency. See, for example,
http://www.analog.com/en/content/0,2...F88014,00.html

... At what point
would signal degradation be hearable compared to mid and high
frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

I am not sure what is the threshold of human audibility of quantization
noise in the presence of a signal. Nor am I sure whether that threshold
varies with frequency. However S/N is, as said above, nominally
independent of signal frequency.

--
John Phillips
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in
message

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.

No, it only takes about 13 bits at 36 KHz to provide high quality audio.
Everything past that is overkill, headroom, etc.

The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a
woofer eg at frequencies under 100Hz.

Of course.

Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference?

No, not for just playing music.

At what point would signal degradation be hearable compared
to mid and high frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

A full-utilized 13 bit digital path running at 36 KHz is sonically
transparent for all audio frequencies. Going up to 14 bits cuts some slack
for headroom.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:59:30 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in
message

Digitally, high quality audio is 24 bits at 96kHz.

No, it only takes about 13 bits at 36 KHz to provide high quality audio.
Everything past that is overkill, headroom, etc.

NICAM sounds pretty clean, and that just uses the lowest possible 10
bits from 14.

The question is, does the bit resolution apply to a
woofer eg at frequencies under 100Hz.

Of course.

It is easier for a woofer, because the audio bandwidth involved is
lower. By constraining the bandwidth to 100Hz rather than 20kHz, we
see an improvement in SNR of 23dB. That means we can lose 4 bits of
information with no added noise penalty. It just gets easier and
easier for a woofer.

Does the 24 bits of precision make any difference?

No, not for just playing music.

At what point would signal degradation be hearable compared
to mid and high frequencies? 12 bits? 10 bits?...

A full-utilized 13 bit digital path running at 36 KHz is sonically
transparent for all audio frequencies. Going up to 14 bits cuts some slack
for headroom.

But for playback you don't need headroom, since the signal is already
constrained by the number of available bits.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

Why do you think it is frequency-dependent?

I don't know - that's what I'm asking.
Esp since the mass and stroke of the cone are vastly different in a
sub compared to a tweeter.

What's that got to do with ADCs or DACs ?

You sound very confused.

It's got to do with the number of bits describing the absolute position
of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2008-01-06, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

Why do you think it is frequency-dependent?
I don't know - that's what I'm asking.
Esp since the mass and stroke of the cone are vastly different in a
sub compared to a tweeter.

What's that got to do with ADCs or DACs ?

You sound very confused.

It's got to do with the number of bits describing the absolute position
of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment.

I think of it like this:

1. The signal to quantization ratio of a normal digitally-derived
input voltage signal to the driver is constant (see the reference I
provided earlier).

2. Inside its designed frequency of operation the audio driver has
a nominally flat voltage versus audio SPL response which is nominally
linear. These are basic design goals for a normal audio driver (cf a
driver spec of typically about 89 dB SPL for 2.83 V rms input).

From these two points we can deduce that the audio (SPL) signal to audio
quantization noise ratio is nominally the same as the input's electrical
(voltage) signal to quantization noise ratio. That is, it's not dependent
on whether the signal is in the bass, mid or treble frequency range.

We don't need to go into "the number of bits describing the absolute
position of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment".

In reality the driver's own non-linearity will produce distortion at the
0.1% level or greater at usual listening SPLs (actually more in the bass
region - 0.3% is not untypical and subwoofers produce even more).

Thus the driver's own nonlinearity will exceed and so mask the audibility
of an electrical signal to quantization noise ratio in the 50 - 60 dB
range (8.5 - 10 bits).

This question has the hallmarks of a Radium/Green Xenon question with
just a little bit more subtlety, I do hope I'm wrong.

--
John Phillips
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2008-01-06, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

[...]

From these two points we can deduce that the audio (SPL) signal to audio
quantization noise ratio is nominally the same as the input's electrical
(voltage) signal to quantization noise ratio. That is, it's not dependent
on whether the signal is in the bass, mid or treble frequency range.

We don't need to go into "the number of bits describing the absolute
position of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment".

In reality the driver's own non-linearity will produce distortion at the
0.1% level or greater at usual listening SPLs (actually more in the bass
region - 0.3% is not untypical and subwoofers produce even more).

Thus the driver's own nonlinearity will exceed and so mask the audibility
of an electrical signal to quantization noise ratio in the 50 - 60 dB
range (8.5 - 10 bits).

This question has the hallmarks of a Radium/Green Xenon question with
just a little bit more subtlety, I do hope I'm wrong.

Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance of
subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 2008-01-06, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
It's got to do with the number of bits describing the absolute position
of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment.

I think of it like this:
From these two points we can deduce that the audio (SPL) signal to audio
quantization noise ratio is nominally the same as the input's electrical
(voltage) signal to quantization noise ratio. That is, it's not dependent
on whether the signal is in the bass, mid or treble frequency range.

We don't need to go into "the number of bits describing the absolute
position of the cone, and its velocity, placement etc at a given moment".

Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance of
subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

To which the above is applicable, just as stated.

--
John Phillips
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:
[...]
Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance
of subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with digital signal processing.

My earlier response to you was apparently a gross misinterpretation
of your question, such as it was.

The sooner you forget about "bits" in relation to subwoofer construction
and performance, the sooner you can get on to the things that matter,
like B/L, mechanical resistance, enclosure volume, or whatever else it
is that really matters (I'm not a speaker designer).
--
% Randy Yates % "So now it's getting late,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and those who hesitate
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Randy Yates wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:
[...]
Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance
of subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with digital signal processing.

My earlier response to you was apparently a gross misinterpretation
of your question, such as it was.

The sooner you forget about "bits" in relation to subwoofer construction
and performance, the sooner you can get on to the things that matter,
like B/L, mechanical resistance, enclosure volume, or whatever else it
is that really matters (I'm not a speaker designer).

Actually, what you wrote was very interesting and informative.
Thanks.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:
[...]
Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance
of subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with digital signal processing.
My earlier response to you was apparently a gross misinterpretation
of your question, such as it was.

The sooner you forget about "bits" in relation to subwoofer construction
and performance, the sooner you can get on to the things that matter,
like B/L, mechanical resistance, enclosure volume, or whatever else it
is that really matters (I'm not a speaker designer).

Actually, what you wrote was very interesting and informative.
Thanks.

And having said that, I am going to use decimation (or at least much
lower frequency sampling) of the signal used to drive the subs. I though
that twice the Nyquist frequency would be adequate? eg for a sub
designed to operate under 100Hz I'll sample/decimate to 400Hz. Any
benefits going to a higher frequency?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:20:19 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Just about every audio DAC/ADC system in use these days goes for
sampling at perhaps 128 times the Nyquist rate. The hard bit is always
the analogue anti-alias filter and at this rate it is easy. I can't
think of any audio sampled systems that work at just twice Nyquist.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Well, at least with subs I've got plenty of room for tweaking
frequencies and seeing what happens. I want to keep the number of
samples the DSP works with fairly low so I can do other stuff eg room
eq, graphics eq etc. without pushing the DSP anywhere near its limits.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

I mean the necessary Nyquist rate, of course. Nothing works at other
than twice the actual Nyquist rate.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

What most DSP systems - CD and the like - do is this. Having captured
the data at high speed you apply a steep digital lowpass filter at
100Hz. You can then decimate the data and do all your work at 200Hz to
minimize processor load. You will need to upsample back to high speed
again to drive the DAC.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Any modern DSP (TI TMS, ADI SHARC, etc.) should be well-within its
limits when working with audio-frequency sample rates. The lowly and
dated TI TMS32C54x, e.g., has a minimum of 100 MIPs, so at, e.g.,
Fs = 48 kHz you have 2000 cycles per sample to burn.

What DSP are you using, and what high-level system architecture
are you employing?
--
% Randy Yates % "How's life on earth?
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % ... What is it worth?"
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:
[...]
Actually, I'm referring to the realworld construction and performance
of subwoofers versus higher frequency units.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with digital signal processing.
My earlier response to you was apparently a gross misinterpretation
of your question, such as it was.

The sooner you forget about "bits" in relation to subwoofer construction
and performance, the sooner you can get on to the things that matter,
like B/L, mechanical resistance, enclosure volume, or whatever else it
is that really matters (I'm not a speaker designer).

Actually, what you wrote was very interesting and informative.
Thanks.

And having said that, I am going to use decimation (or at least much
lower frequency sampling) of the signal used to drive the subs.

Then you aren't concerned with "subwoofer construction and performance."

It appears you are attempting to design a digital crossover system that
will be used to drive an existing subwoofer. In other words, you appear
to be designing a wideband speaker system through the selection and
use of various speaker driver units and digital crossovers.

It would help if you told us your plan at the high level.
--
% Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface,
%%% 919-577-9882 % til then, I'll leave her alone."
%%%% % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

As opposed to setting the sampling rate ie the number of samples per
second taken from the ADC, at a few hundred Hz?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Not entirely decided yet, hence the questions.
The other problem with (say) Fs = 48kHz is low frequency instability and
rounding errors. I would like to implement a sixth octave graphic EQ
below 100Hz

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

I am to the extent that I want to know what features influence
reproduction the most.

It appears you are attempting to design a digital crossover system that
will be used to drive an existing subwoofer. In other words, you appear
to be designing a wideband speaker system through the selection and
use of various speaker driver units and digital crossovers.

It would help if you told us your plan at the high level.

Just done that in another post.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

All that stuff has to be done. If the ADC will do it for you without
your having to get involved, then great. I'm not familiar enough with
the current SOTA to know whether you can take oversampling and
decimation for granted with these things.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax writes:
[...]
Not entirely decided yet, hence the questions.

You missed my point. No matter what you use (within reason), you're
going to have plenty of MIPS.

The other problem with (say) Fs = 48kHz is low frequency instability
and rounding errors. I would like to implement a sixth octave graphic
EQ below 100Hz

Oh, well why didn't you say so in the first place?

You have opposing requirements (welcome to engineering). One is that you
do your processing with the least number of bits possible in order to
save CPU operations (e.g., to be able to avoid doing double-precision
arithmetic, assuming you're implementing in fixed-point). The other is
to lower the sample rate so that your filter designs are more easily
achieved.

These two desirables contradict one another, because once you go to a
lower sample rate, you must use a HIGHER bit width in order to maintain
the equivalent SNR that you would have at the higher sample rate.

In this particular application at this juncture in history, however,
reducing CPU cycles should be low on your list of concerns, as I've
already pointed out, since most DSPs are likely to have PLENTY of
horsepower.

As for a good architecture for implementing the sixth-octave filter,
that's a perfect question for comp.dsp - suggest you repost there.
--
% Randy Yates % "Midnight, on the water...
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % I saw... the ocean's daughter."
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Randy Yates writes:
[...]
These two desirables contradict one another, because once you go to a
lower sample rate, you must use a HIGHER bit width in order to maintain
the equivalent SNR that you would have at the higher sample rate.

I should also have stated that, in another sense, and one that has very
real gains, going to a lower sample rate also allows you to save CPU
cycles since a) you're running the filters at lower sample rates, and
b) the filters themselves are likely to be more benign.

So, via a good bit of hand-waving (or appealing to experience, whichever
justification you prefer), using a wider bitwidth at a lower sample rate
is almost certainly going to be a big net-win MIPS-wise.
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

IIRC some AKM ones do 128x oversampling.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Yes - been round the houses the-)
I'm just going to have to try a few things and hear how they sound in
real life.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

If the subwoofer input is analog, you aren't at all concerned about
anything digital. The "construction and performance" of such a subwoofer
is independent of any signal processing that may or may not be ahead of
it in the system.

Either you haven't adequately described the subwoofer system you have
in mind to us (e.g., maybe you're including the equalizer as part of
the subwoofer), or you have a problem seeing where the lines are in
system design.

You still haven't described from a system level what your "box" is
going to do. What are the inputs and what are the outputs? What is
analog and what is digital?
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,
%%% 919-577-9882 % that's the way it goes..."
%%%% % Getting To The Point', *Balance of Power*, ELO
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Randy Yates wrote:
[...]

Inputs either analogue or digital, then DSP with graphics eq, then DAC,
power amp, speaker. In one box.

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Studer A-80 looking for bits... studiorat Pro Audio 2 April 28th 06 06:16 PM
Hot bits Ruud Broens Audio Opinions 0 January 31st 05 03:00 AM
How many bits of dither? Glenn Booth Tech 0 March 28th 04 10:30 PM
Bits n Bobs davy Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 05:48 PM
Edirol UA-20 and 24 bits capture Eli Pro Audio 0 October 13th 03 09:25 PM