Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Doe

Default Decent computer speakers?

What do you think about the Creative I-Trigue L3500? How do they
compare to others?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have heard
opinions... can that speaker system require breaking-in before it
sounds good?

While I'm here. I've heard opinions about inexpensive speakers
trying to produce a lot of treble and base without good reproduction
of midrange? Is that common?

Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

John Doe wrote:

What do you think about the Creative I-Trigue L3500? How do they
compare to others?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have heard
opinions... can that speaker system require breaking-in before it
sounds good?

While I'm here. I've heard opinions about inexpensive speakers
trying to produce a lot of treble and base without good reproduction
of midrange? Is that common?

Yup.

Computer speakers aren't hi-fi.

Anything sold in Radio Shack is suspect btw.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2112009

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"John Doe" wrote in message
What do you think about the Creative I-Trigue L3500? How do they
compare to others?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have heard
opinions... can that speaker system require breaking-in before it
sounds good?

While I'm here. I've heard opinions about inexpensive speakers
trying to produce a lot of treble and base without good reproduction
of midrange? Is that common?

Thank you.

These are among the best:
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_...MX5021_OOS.asp

Much better than anything made by Creative or Logitech.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

John Doe wrote

What do you think about the Creative I-Trigue L3500? How do they
compare to others?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have heard
opinions... can that speaker system require breaking-in before it
sounds good?

While I'm here. I've heard opinions about inexpensive speakers
trying to produce a lot of treble and base without good reproduction
of midrange? Is that common?

Thank you.

I have that particular 3-piece component which I paid about
$120 dollars. I like it for the price I paid and compare to the
other component of similar price back then. It sounded clean
and look attractive. Too bad I didn't took the time to listen to
MX5021 which Robert recommend above.

The L3500 suffers from hollow midrange just like many others.
Most likely due to poor cut-off freq. betw the bass unit and the
mini towers. As for breaking in, well, I don't know. I just don't
think of these things as hi-fi contender.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

Pooh Bear wrote
John Doe wrote:

What do you think about the Creative I-Trigue L3500? How do they
compare to others?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but I have heard
opinions... can that speaker system require breaking-in before it
sounds good?

While I'm here. I've heard opinions about inexpensive speakers
trying to produce a lot of treble and base without good reproduction
of midrange? Is that common?

Yup.

Computer speakers aren't hi-fi.

Anything sold in Radio Shack is suspect btw.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2112009

Graham

I bought mine at Computer USA. Could this be a suspect (or dubious)
product?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
t...

John Doe wrote

[...]

Eddie, I never pay any attention to THX certification. But I thought about
how bad computer speakers could be, and it turned out that THX on the 5021
saved me from that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Doe

Troll

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

Robert Morein wrote
EddieM wrote

Eddie, I never pay any attention to THX certification. But I thought about
how bad computer speakers could be, and it turned out that THX on the 5021
saved me from that.

I just came back from a reputable electronic shop to pick up
my tv I had them fix, and the shop owner told me and showed me
he had a Sansui AU-717 he's selling for $300 ... they look good..
...they work.. and he said he'll put warranty on them for more than
a few months, what do you think ? in your exp..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

EddieM wrote
Robert Morein wrote
EddieM wrote

Eddie, I never pay any attention to THX certification. But I thought about
how bad computer speakers could be, and it turned out that THX on the 5021
saved me from that.

Hree it is it's the one at the bottom..

http://www.hifiland.net/soubory/Zesi...7%20TU-719.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"EddieM" said:

I just came back from a reputable electronic shop to pick up
my tv I had them fix, and the shop owner told me and showed me
he had a Sansui AU-717 he's selling for $300 ... they look good..
..they work.. and he said he'll put warranty on them for more than
a few months, what do you think ? in your exp..

That's $200 too much in my opinion.
Does the warranty cover replacement of all electrolytics and
potentiometers?

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"EddieM" said:

I just came back from a reputable electronic shop to pick up
my tv I had them fix, and the shop owner told me and showed me
he had a Sansui AU-717 he's selling for $300 ... they look good..
..they work.. and he said he'll put warranty on them for more than
a few months, what do you think ? in your exp..

That's $200 too much in my opinion.
Does the warranty cover replacement of all electrolytics and
potentiometers?

Ok, I just talk to him on the ph and he said NO! He told me those
electrolytics and potentiometers last for more than forty years.
There's no need to replace them. Hmm.

There might not be an immediate need to replace them, but as for his
claim that they'll last over 40 years.....that's a claim *I* wouldn't
dare to make.

There seems to be some kind of cult around older Sansui and Onkyo
gear, don't know why though. Just the same Japanese electronics as
most other brands from those days like Pioneer, Kenwood et al.

My advice would be:
Get one from a pawnshop for $10 or so, and reserve the rest of your
budget to get it up to date with good pots and caps.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

Sander deWaal wrote
EddieM said:

[...]

Yeah your right, I think I'll pass on this one. This model was made around
1977 and so, it probably gone through lots of abuse. What I really wanted
to know is if this unit is worth auditioning. And to find out more what made
them special, that is, if they really are. Such as any specific peculiarity
that some find desirable about this unit from those familiar with it.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
m...

EddieM wrote
Robert Morein wrote
EddieM wrote

Eddie, I never pay any attention to THX certification. But I thought
about how bad computer speakers could be, and it turned out that THX on
the 5021 saved me from that.

Hree it is it's the one at the bottom..

http://www.hifiland.net/soubory/Zesi...7%20TU-719.jpg

I've never heard it. I have one Sansui, a 5050 receiver, of older vintage.
However, I have sampled a number of older pieces, from which I make the
following observation. Around 1981-1983, there was a phasing in of better
amplifiers by all the makers. Before they had to confront the CD, amplifiers
were not as good. One reason is that older amplifiers incorporate very tight
limiting circuits to keep the bipolars in the "safe operating region." This
safety feature results in unacceptable clipping with CDs. General
performance also tended to be considerably lower, as well. My 5050 is an
example of this. Regardless of how well made or how beautiful a piece may
be, if made before the 1981-83 breakpoint, it is not as good as a modern
amp. The Superscope Marantz offerings are another example of something
people pay alot for that isn't very good.

Not long after the above break-point, a plethora of very good amplifiers
were made, many of which are as good or better than current offerings. Which
side of the line your Sansui is on, I do not know.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
m...

EddieM wrote
Robert Morein wrote
EddieM wrote

Eddie, I never pay any attention to THX certification. But I thought
about how bad computer speakers could be, and it turned out that THX on
the 5021 saved me from that.

Hree it is it's the one at the bottom..

http://www.hifiland.net/soubory/Zesi...7%20TU-719.jpg I
just got a date on the 717: http://www.sansui.us/Issues_IntvsDomestic.htm
, 1976.

My advice would be to stay away. Seven years later, amplifiers had made a
quantum jump.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

Robert Morein wrote

[...]

Thanks. I thought it was the other way around. That the older Sansui made
in the '70s were the better performer. Perhaps they had that distinctive
sound
that made them contenders.

Anyway, it's probably better not to pursue this unit. Mainly, it's the issue
with
reliability and also, I think it's fair price should really only be around
$100.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
EddieM

Robert Morein wrote

Here it is it's the one at the bottom..

http://www.hifiland.net/soubory/Zesi...7%20TU-719.jpg I

just got a date on the 717: http://www.sansui.us/Issues_IntvsDomestic.htm ,
1976.

My advice would be to stay away. Seven years later, amplifiers had made a
quantum jump.

Wow, amazing. Thanks for all the info.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
m...

Sander deWaal wrote
EddieM said:

[...]

As far as my 5050 is concerned, it doesn't sound very special to me. It has
a chromy front panel, and a nice metal chassis, but the sound is 1970's
transistor, which isn't very good.