Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

Default Porsches, Subarus, Audis and Monaros (Ping Stewart and Andre)

The local car show on TV punted a number of cars around a race track and the
figures are as follows:

Porsche 911 - 54:23 Sec
Subaru WRX STi - 54:29
BMW M5 - 55:70
Ford XR6 Turbo - 56:90
Commodore HSV Clubsport R8 - 57:29 (VERY similar to the Monaro)
HSV Maloo R8 - 57:59
Mini Cooper S - 57:67
Audi TT 3.2 DSG - 58:17

See? I told you the (inline Six) Falcon was good.

BTW: I happened to accidentally record Top Gear a few days ago. They just
happened to be comparing the Monaro, the Chrysler 300C (The ugliest sedan on
the planet, BTW) and the Jag. They loved the Monaro. Can any Poms tell me
roughly when the episode was aired in the UK? I want to DL some more
episodes of this excellent show from a Torrent site. I really enjoy that guy
from Brainiac (yes, I watch Brainiac). He's a hoot. I also enjoy watching
Prof Myan Lee from Brainiac too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
The local car show on TV punted a number of cars around a race track and
the figures are as follows:

Porsche 911 - 54:23 Sec
Subaru WRX STi - 54:29
BMW M5 - 55:70
Ford XR6 Turbo - 56:90
Commodore HSV Clubsport R8 - 57:29 (VERY similar to the Monaro)
HSV Maloo R8 - 57:59
Mini Cooper S - 57:67
Audi TT 3.2 DSG - 58:17

Stewart's econobox lost to a...MINI...!!! Oops... :-)

And the winner Porsche was the slowest Plain Jane one? While everyone else
had their top dog playing within a given model range, how unfair! GT3 or GT2
would've annihilated the rest. Well, except for the Subaru, the slowest one
already did.

Cheers,

Margaret

See? I told you the (inline Six) Falcon was good.

BTW: I happened to accidentally record Top Gear a few days ago. They just
happened to be comparing the Monaro, the Chrysler 300C (The ugliest sedan
on the planet, BTW) and the Jag. They loved the Monaro. Can any Poms tell
me roughly when the episode was aired in the UK? I want to DL some more
episodes of this excellent show from a Torrent site. I really enjoy that
guy from Brainiac (yes, I watch Brainiac). He's a hoot. I also enjoy
watching Prof Myan Lee from Brainiac too.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Trevor Wilson wrote:

The local car show on TV punted a number of cars around a race track and the
figures are as follows:

Porsche 911 - 54:23 Sec
Subaru WRX STi - 54:29
BMW M5 - 55:70
Ford XR6 Turbo - 56:90
Commodore HSV Clubsport R8 - 57:29 (VERY similar to the Monaro)
HSV Maloo R8 - 57:59
Mini Cooper S - 57:67
Audi TT 3.2 DSG - 58:17

See? I told you the (inline Six) Falcon was good.

BTW: I happened to accidentally record Top Gear a few days ago. They just
happened to be comparing the Monaro, the Chrysler 300C (The ugliest sedan on
the planet, BTW) and the Jag. They loved the Monaro. Can any Poms tell me
roughly when the episode was aired in the UK?

Maybe as much as a year ago. They *still* love the Monaro too. Not least for
value for money reasons.

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of style and
taste. Not to mention we prefer cars that can go round corners properly.

Cadillac in a similar vein is about to launch a 'euro Cadillac' ! Made in Saab's
factory blush of shame . It has that bling gansta look with the Escalade
front grille styling ! Yuk.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Trevor Wilson wrote:

The local car show on TV punted a number of cars around a race track and the
figures are as follows:

Porsche 911 - 54:23 Sec
Subaru WRX STi - 54:29
BMW M5 - 55:70
Ford XR6 Turbo - 56:90
Commodore HSV Clubsport R8 - 57:29 (VERY similar to the Monaro)
HSV Maloo R8 - 57:59
Mini Cooper S - 57:67
Audi TT 3.2 DSG - 58:17

Compare Top Gear's times ( driven by a racing driver ) here....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/

Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
Porsche 911 Carrera S - 1.28.9 (very wet
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1
Vauxhall Monaro VXR - 1.30.1
Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0

What's an HSV Maloo btw ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Trevor Wilson wrote:

The local car show on TV punted a number of cars around a race track and
the
figures are as follows:

Porsche 911 - 54:23 Sec
Subaru WRX STi - 54:29
BMW M5 - 55:70
Ford XR6 Turbo - 56:90
Commodore HSV Clubsport R8 - 57:29 (VERY similar to the Monaro)
HSV Maloo R8 - 57:59
Mini Cooper S - 57:67
Audi TT 3.2 DSG - 58:17

Compare Top Gear's times ( driven by a racing driver ) here....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/

Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
Porsche 911 Carrera S - 1.28.9 (very wet
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1
Vauxhall Monaro VXR - 1.30.1
Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0

What's an HSV Maloo btw ?

**This:

http://www.hsv.com.au/cars/vz/main.a...ain/maloo.html

Very popular with young tradesmen and farmers. Maloo is the Aboriginal word,
meaning 'Thunder'. I guess you can figure out the rest: 6 Litre V8, 300kW, a
poor weight balance, etc.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:37:08 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of style and
taste.

Said the *Brit*, who now has to claim European standards, since
British "style and taste" has been completely subsumed by the far more
influential German, and to a lesser degree, French, Italian and
Swedish sources. Of course, there's still Spotted Dick. Perhaps they
could somehow turn that into a roadster.

But I'd agree with you about the 300C. It's just a shade uglier than a
new Bentley. In fact, Chrysler products always seem to take the lead
in "ugly". Wait until you see a Crossfire.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of style
and
taste.

Said the *Brit*, who now has to claim European standards, since
British "style and taste" has been completely subsumed by the far more
influential German, and to a lesser degree, French, Italian and
Swedish sources. Of course, there's still Spotted Dick. Perhaps they
could somehow turn that into a roadster.

But I'd agree with you about the 300C. It's just a shade uglier than a
new Bentley. In fact, Chrysler products always seem to take the lead
in "ugly". Wait until you see a Crossfire.

**Nope. The Crossfire is just ordinary. The 300C is (as we say over here) as
ugly as a hatful or arseholes. BTW: I still like the look of the PT Cruiser.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of style
and
taste.

Said the *Brit*, who now has to claim European standards, since
British "style and taste" has been completely subsumed by the far more
influential German, and to a lesser degree, French, Italian and
Swedish sources. Of course, there's still Spotted Dick. Perhaps they
could somehow turn that into a roadster.

But I'd agree with you about the 300C. It's just a shade uglier than a
new Bentley. In fact, Chrysler products always seem to take the lead
in "ugly". Wait until you see a Crossfire.

**Nope. The Crossfire is just ordinary. The 300C is (as we say over here)
as ugly as a hatful or arseholes. BTW: I still like the look of the PT
Cruiser.

**That would be:

".....hatful OF arseholes...."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 19:09:52 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

But I'd agree with you about the 300C. It's just a shade uglier than a
new Bentley. In fact, Chrysler products always seem to take the lead
in "ugly". Wait until you see a Crossfire.

**Nope. The Crossfire is just ordinary.

I think it's ugly as sin. It looks like someone dropped a grand piano
on a late 60s GM station wagon.

The 300C is (as we say over here) as
ugly as a hatful or arseholes.

Well, as I said, it looks like a more boring Bentley. In fact, the
first time I saw a 300C from a distance, I thought to myself, "Damn,
that new Bentley looks like a Chrysler". g

BTW: I still like the look of the PT Cruiser.

Dated. It was good looking for about 5 minutes.

Now, the new Mustang - THAT is a good update of a retro look. I think
it's going to look fresh for a while.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Signal said:

It's not called Top Gear any more.. it's called The Jeremy Clarkson
Show. In it he talks over his co-presenters, insults them and members
of the studio audience, then for the remainder of the show he massages
his ego with a complete disregard for self awareness; and talks a
whole load of ********. Fifth Gear is sooo much better.

And that's what Clarkson's most ardent supporters say. Can we hear from
a critic, too?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Trevor Wilson said:

I still like the look of the PT Cruiser.

Do you really? That helps put your comments about styling in their
proper context.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Trevor Wilson said:

I still like the look of the PT Cruiser.

Do you really?

**Yeah, I REALLY do. Not only did they manage to get the retro look just
right, but the thing is a practical auto as well. One of my mates is 6'4"
tall. It is one of the few small(ish) cars he can drive with comfort. In
fact, it has more headroom than most cars.

That helps put your comments about styling in their
proper context.

**I'm sure it does. The 300C is still as ugly as a hatful of arseholes. I
guess the best thing about driving the 300C is that you no longer have to
look at it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

Pooh Bear wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of style and
taste.

Who said that the 300C is supposed to conform to "European concepts of
style and taste"? It's designed to appeal to Americans, and it does.

People are allowed to have different tastes, without one being
"inferior" to another, you know...

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

dave weil wrote:

The 300C is (as we say over here) as
ugly as a hatful or arseholes.

Well, as I said, it looks like a more boring Bentley. In fact, the
first time I saw a 300C from a distance, I thought to myself, "Damn,
that new Bentley looks like a Chrysler". g

And that's a bad thing, for a $30,000 car?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

dizzy wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of
style and
taste.

Who said that the 300C is supposed to conform to "European concepts of
style and taste"? It's designed to appeal to Americans, and it does.

People are allowed to have different tastes, without one being
"inferior" to another, you know...

Chrysler are trying to sell it in Europe. Sales have been err.....
disappointing
for them.

**I reckon it should sell OK in Russia. Kinda looks like an updated version
of one of those old Russian limos.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:45:38 GMT, dizzy wrote:

dave weil wrote:

The 300C is (as we say over here) as
ugly as a hatful or arseholes.

Well, as I said, it looks like a more boring Bentley. In fact, the
first time I saw a 300C from a distance, I thought to myself, "Damn,
that new Bentley looks like a Chrysler". g

And that's a bad thing, for a $30,000 car?

Well, I don't care much for the newest Bentleys. I've only seen two in
the flesh, but neither was very distinguished looking. Looked a bit
like a dill pickle without the bumps.

Now, having said that, I've never seen a Bentley Continental. They
look damn good in the pics, especially the roof line. I'll tell you
this, they do the oddly shaped roof line far better than the Crossfire
does g.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:06:35 +0000, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Chrysler are trying to sell it in Europe.

That's stupid of them.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

dizzy wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

The 300C is a joke. Americans don't understand European concepts of
style and
taste.

Who said that the 300C is supposed to conform to "European concepts of
style and taste"? It's designed to appeal to Americans, and it does.

People are allowed to have different tastes, without one being
"inferior" to another, you know...

Chrysler are trying to sell it in Europe. Sales have been err.....
disappointing
for them.

**I reckon it should sell OK in Russia. Kinda looks like an updated version
of one of those old Russian limos.

To be fair, if you like bling bling gangsta looks it's cool ! It's goes quite
well in a straight line too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

wrote:

Chrysler are trying to sell it in Europe.

That's stupid of them.

In a similar vein GM are about to sell this
http://www.cadillac-bls.com/Default.aspx?lang=2&iso=en
over here too. This time though it's not a US model. It GM's idea of
what a Euro Caddy should be like.

I don't reckon the Escalade style gangsta look will appeal. Also, like
other US cars in a similar vein it has almost 'slit like' windows with
attendant poor visibilty.

Sadly they've commandeered Saab's factory to make it insult .

GM have lost the plot IMHO. I guess we'll see how it actually goes (
since it's derived fom a Saab 9-3 probably quite well ) and handles (
probably less well than a Saab 9-3 since it's likely to have been
softened ) and sells ( the important bit ).

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Trevor Wilson wrote:

[...]

And presumaly the Brits do?

There's a beauty...

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/Blenheim3.htm

http://www.allcarpictures.com/pictur...enheim-002.jpg

....termites cannot get to this beauty fast enough...

http://www.seriouswheels.com/mno/Mor...w-1024x768.htm

....And yet another European styling concept...

http://www.nimag.nl/nmg/up/ZwgmteeHc...G_1280x960.jpg

....hmmm.

Cheers,

Margaret

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

From: "Margaret von B."
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:01:44 GMT

And presumaly the Brits do?

You didn't address whether or not these vehicles can 'go round corners
properly.' I hereby suggest that this topic turn into an argument over
vehicle cornering specifications.

These cars are, of course, extremely ugly. Give me a 300C any day.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Shhhh! said:

These cars are, of course, extremely ugly.

Speaking of ugly, I glimpsed an epochally ugly Pontiac today. It was a
small SUV or minivan, couldn't tell which. Hideous! It's not on their
site, so I guess it's discontinued.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Margaret von B.

MINe 109 said:

Speaking of ugly, I glimpsed an epochally ugly Pontiac today. It was a
small SUV or minivan, couldn't tell which. Hideous! It's not on their
site, so I guess it's discontinued.

Aztek!

Gesundheit!

Gunter glieben glauchen globen!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
wrote:

MINe 109 said:

Speaking of ugly, I glimpsed an epochally ugly Pontiac today. It was a
small SUV or minivan, couldn't tell which. Hideous! It's not on their
site, so I guess it's discontinued.

Aztek!

Gesundheit!

Thanks, it's cedar season.

The Aztek stopped production last year. "In the history of four wheels
and an engine, few automobiles have landed with such a sopping wet,
suicide-on-the-sidewalk report as the Pontiac Aztek...looked like
Montezuma's revenge feels...two faces sawn sideways and sewn together, a
monstrous yuppie Caliban."

The Buick Rendezvous was more successful.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

In article ,
wrote:

MINe 109 said:

Speaking of ugly, I glimpsed an epochally ugly Pontiac today. It was a
small SUV or minivan, couldn't tell which. Hideous! It's not on their
site, so I guess it's discontinued.

Aztek!

Gesundheit!

Thanks, it's cedar season.

The Aztek stopped production last year. "In the history of four wheels
and an engine, few automobiles have landed with such a sopping wet,
suicide-on-the-sidewalk report as the Pontiac Aztek...looked like
Montezuma's revenge feels...two faces sawn sideways and sewn together, a
monstrous yuppie Caliban."

Good Lord. I found some pics. That's a truly ugly car.

However there's so much worse from SsangYong. Google knew who I meant even
though there's no way I could spell it right 1st time !

Just check this little baby out.....
http://www.syukcars.co.uk/rodius/index.htm
" The Rodius is so different, that you've got to experience it yourself to
really believe it. " They really aren't kidding.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

From: George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot]
net
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:06:04 -0500

Speaking of ugly, I glimpsed an epochally ugly Pontiac today. It was a
small SUV or minivan, couldn't tell which. Hideous! It's not on their
site, so I guess it's discontinued.

That might've been the 'Aztec.' I had the misfortune of renting one
once. Not only was it incredibly ugly, the rear window was sloped just
enough so that any water or snow hitting it was held in perfect
position to block any rearward vision.

There's one vehicle that should've never been built. It was most
assuredly NOT a chick magnet.