Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Gimme another hit of opium, Jee-Zus!

A real "Christian" takes another hit of "the opiate of the asses":

surf wrote:

I choose to believe the New Testament is a first hand
perspective of the life of Christ.

*toke*

When I decided to believe
that, it came with a peace.

Have another hit!

And every week, attending service
reinforces that peace.

A few tokes a day keeps reasoned thought away!

"Opiate of the masses" as the goon says?

That was "opiate of the asses", ass.

Given your credulous nature, you'll believe this is based on "a first
hand perspective" of a true story:

(Others will think it's the last verse of the satirical "Plastic
Jesus")

Driving home one foggy night,
with my honey cuddled tight,
I missed a curve and off the road we veered.
My windshield got smashed up good,
and my darling graced the hood.
Plastic Jesus, He had disappeared.

Plastic Jesus! Plastic Jesus,
no longer chides me with his holy grin.
Doctors in the X-ray room,
found Him in my darling's womb.
Someday, He'll be born again!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

Default A sad day for America

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 08:52:27 -0500, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

paul packer said:

Mmmm...I thought you were listening to reason, not inner voices.

You're reaching and falling flat. Go back to mocking Poopie and Joot.

And what gave you the idea I was looking for a mark out of ten, George?
Thanks, but I'll let you know when I need your approval.

You don't have to ask, paulie. It's the name of the game on RAO.

And I should trust your judgement? Thanks, I'll pass.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Lionel" wrote in message
Clyde Slick a écrit :
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"surf" wrote in message

**I know EXACTLY what you were saying. You have a particularly
un-Christian attitude.

he's a saint, compared to Arny.

Says the racist and xenophobic little maggot. :-(

None of my best friends are French.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
: When I decided to believe
: that, it came with a peace.
:
: **Sure. I get the same thing with Transcendental Meditation, sex and
: chocolate.

: Trevor Wilson
: www.rageaudio.com.au
:
heh, i'm having a hard time picturing you doing TM, Trevor :-)
but in case you do, what are some of your observations of it's
effects ?

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
: When I decided to believe
: that, it came with a peace.
:
: **Sure. I get the same thing with Transcendental Meditation, sex and
: chocolate.

: Trevor Wilson
: www.rageaudio.com.au
:
heh, i'm having a hard time picturing you doing TM, Trevor :-)

**Why?

but in case you do, what are some of your observations of it's
effects ?

**Better, deeper sleep, the ability to cope better with stressful
situations, etc. Sadly, I don't practise as much as I used to.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On 28 Dec 2005 15:25:54 -0800, "ScottW" wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:
"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
: When I decided to believe
: that, it came with a peace.
:
: **Sure. I get the same thing with Transcendental Meditation, sex and
: chocolate.

: Trevor Wilson
: www.rageaudio.com.au
:
heh, i'm having a hard time picturing you doing TM, Trevor :-)

**Why?

but in case you do, what are some of your observations of it's
effects ?

**Better, deeper sleep, the ability to cope better with stressful
situations, etc. Sadly, I don't practise as much as I used to.

It shows.

Unless you yourself practise daily, Scott, that's a naughty post. You
should get a hard whack on the left shoulder with a flat ruler for
that.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

Not everyone needs daily TM to avoid delusion induced stress.
The truth is the cure.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Not everyone needs daily TM to avoid delusion induced stress.
The truth is the cure.

The truth can cause stress. Look at Arny

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

Don't you mean "stress induced delusion"?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

Trevor Wilson wrote:
[...]

Nope. If he stuck with the truth, many of his worst fears would cease
to exist.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nope. If he stuck with the truth, many of his worst fears would cease
to exist.

**Is this just another weasel mouthed American euphemism for calling me a
liar?

Out with it, weasel. Point out my alleged lie/s.

Be VERY precise and provide some actual Google cite/s.

I'll wait.

I'll also wait for your apology, which, in your usual mealy-mouthed fashion,
is not likely to be forthcoming.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
:
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
:
: :
: heh, i'm having a hard time picturing you doing TM, Trevor :-)
:
: **Why?
:
you assert a lot in emotional(ly connotated) terms, reinforce text with
double asterix'es (or is that a google convenience?) a lot and in a
debate tend to polarize rather than harmonize - not in my experience
very common traits with those practising TM.

/example--
RB: "NE one heard one of these yet ?
Meridian DSP5200 Digital Active Loudspeakers"
TW:
**Why do you care? It doesn't use tubes. You have already stated that you
have an aversion to any product which uses transistors.
--/

needless to say, i never made such a statement, in fact.

: but in case you do, what are some of your observations of it's
: effects ?
:
: **Better, deeper sleep, the ability to cope better with stressful
: situations, etc. Sadly, I don't practise as much as I used to.
:
i would sum up my experience as:
the increased ability to consciously invade processes
due to decreased distractional noise (rao form

example: dream recollection is extensive and during a dream
you rationally evaluate and immediately question highly
suspect scenes - observer & participant at the same time
whereas with normal dreaming, all sorts of "Hollywood"
scene changes and violation of laws-of-physics can occur.

in general, inner balance or "quietude" enhances perception,
both in a direct sense and on a more abstract level,
it's like being more alive by being more relaxed :-)

a weird, non-permanent effect i've experienced:
very specific taste-blocking - for some 30 minutes after a
TM meditation, cigarettes have no taste at all - the analogy with
lidocain , as portrayed in 10 by Dudley Moore,
not Talisker 10, Paul D :-),
you know, the dentists' daughter,
comes to mind ;-)

R.
done tm, tr, tv, tp
: --
: Trevor Wilson
: www.rageaudio.com.au
:
:

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
:
: "Ruud Broens" wrote in message
: ...
:
: :
: heh, i'm having a hard time picturing you doing TM, Trevor :-)
:
: **Why?
:
you assert a lot in emotional(ly connotated) terms, reinforce text with
double asterix'es (or is that a google convenience?)

**Convenience, when dealing with long posts.

a lot and in a
debate tend to polarize rather than harmonize - not in my experience
very common traits with those practising TM.

**Do you imagine that anyone who practises TM just rolls over and plays
dead? Dream on. The mistake you've made is that just because you've met/know
a few people who engage in TM, that all are the same. Truth be told, MOST of
the people who practise TM are of a particular type. Not ALL people who
practise are the same type.

[...]

**Personally, I feel that TM is a rip-off. I can learn the same stuff from a
local Buddhist for next to nothing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

I just can't belive how anybody can be
offended by the President saying "May God Bless America".
Unless you not only disavow a belief in God,
but actually 'hate' God. Oh, then he must exist!

It's offensive because it's as if he were assuming that we all believed
in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Given the importance of the position
the President, I am offended that time and energy (and thus my tax
dollars) by him are wasted on fantasy and fairy tales. It's especially
offensive when it is suggested that somehow we deserve more supernatural
affection than other nations. The idea that God would take sides is just
silly. It's also offensive to me because it suggests that the President
still has the mind of a child, who needs fairy tales to protect him from
reality.

I don't get why the argument is made that since we don't have all the
understanding of the nature of the being of the universe explained by
science it follows that we have to accept mythology as fact, as if it's
the only other possible explanation of existence.

Happy New Year!

Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
"surf" wrote:

wrote...

One is based on observable data,

Certainly, living things can be observed to have evolved. However there
are many biological mechanisms that are irreduceably complex and could
not have evolved.... Had Darwin seen these things, he would have ****canned
his theory.

.... the other is based on a bilical fairy tale.

that's your opinion. Can you prove Christ didn't return from death?

Can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the
universe?

Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
"surf" wrote:

"Trevor Wilson" wrote...

**I am happy for you to proffer your explanation, based on the physical
laws which dominate this universe.

for you to think that you need to understand and are capable of
understanding
everything both worldly and other worldly is self-centered and limited.
Believing that a big bang occurred without cause takes as much faith as
believing intelligent design.

Who said there was no cause? Just because something is a mystery doesn't
mean that we need to anthropomorphize it.

Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Pooh Bear

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

In article ,
"surf" wrote:

wrote...

One is based on observable data,

Certainly, living things can be observed to have evolved. However there
are many biological mechanisms that are irreduceably complex and could
not have evolved.... Had Darwin seen these things, he would have ****canned
his theory.

.... the other is based on a bilical fairy tale.

that's your opinion. Can you prove Christ didn't return from death?

Can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the
universe?

I reckon that the universe is sitting in a goldfish bowl on someone's coffee
table. Show me why not ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Poopie said:

I reckon that the universe is sitting in a goldfish bowl on someone's coffee
table. Show me why not ?

I submit your existence as prima facie evidence of the randomness of the
universe.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:43:33 -0800, Schizoid Man wrote:

wrote:

Intelligent Design has passed the intense scrutiny of believers
everywhere (except the Vatican). It has also been properly
peer-reviewed by Pat Robertson, James Dobson, George Bush and Jerry
Falwell and a simple majority of the Kansas Board of Education. The
entire 'science' department, and the Athletic Director, at Bob Jones
University consider it as valid as the Theory of Evolution.

What more do you want?

Science.

Mickey,

Not only are you insulting Jesus by perpetually waving the 'science'

Jesus is insulted by any brain activity above that of a sheep.
Keep quiet, do what you're told, and don't question anything no matter how
insane.

I don't think Jesus minds at all. It's his friends that are irked.

If you meet Jesus, don't turn him in! - 60s proverb.

Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Edwin Hurwitz" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

[...]

96% of the world offends you. Too bad!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"surf" wrote:

wrote...

One is based on observable data,

Certainly, living things can be observed to have evolved. However there
are many biological mechanisms that are irreduceably complex and could
not have evolved.... Had Darwin seen these things, he would have
****canned
his theory.

.... the other is based on a bilical fairy tale.

that's your opinion. Can you prove Christ didn't return from death?

Can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the
universe?

Can you prove what caused matter/energy to become, from nothing?
If not, can you prove that matter/energy has existed for eternity?
Can you prove that there was a time, before time existed?
Can you prove that time existed eternally?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

In article ,
"surf" wrote:

wrote...

One is based on observable data,

Certainly, living things can be observed to have evolved. However
there
are many biological mechanisms that are irreduceably complex and could
not have evolved.... Had Darwin seen these things, he would have
****canned
his theory.

.... the other is based on a bilical fairy tale.

that's your opinion. Can you prove Christ didn't return from death?

Can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the
universe?

I reckon that the universe is sitting in a goldfish bowl on someone's
coffee
table. Show me why not ?

Who created that person's room?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

"surf" wrote:

wrote...

One is based on observable data,

Certainly, living things can be observed to have evolved. However there
are many biological mechanisms that are irreduceably complex and could
not have evolved.... Had Darwin seen these things, he would have
****canned
his theory.

.... the other is based on a bilical fairy tale.

that's your opinion. Can you prove Christ didn't return from death?

Can you prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't create the
universe?

Can you prove what caused matter/energy to become, from nothing?
If not, can you prove that matter/energy has existed for eternity?
Can you prove that there was a time, before time existed?
Can you prove that time existed eternally?

Why bother? All I know is that the bible certainly doesn't explain it
and none of it really has much bearing on my everyday life and I am
getting tired of people telling me that some "God" did it all. If I have
to respect their God, why can't they respect my FSM? There is equal
evidence (and lack of evidence) for either.

Edwin
PS Can you prove that time exists now?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

"Clyde Slick" wrote:

[...]

Actually 96% of the world doesn't offend me because 96% of the world
doesn't seem to espouse these myths as truth. In fact, what offends me
is one particular person espousing these beliefs, the POTUS, so that
means that approximately 1/6,000,000,000 of the world offends me. Not
bad! In fact, according to the reasoning of Justice Alito, perhaps I
could pass a law making it legal for me to lock him away and strip him
from power as it would affect only 1/6,000,000,000th of the world (see
his reasoning behind supporting requiring women to get the approval of
their spouses for an abortion as it wouldn't really affect that many
people).

I am unoffended by almost everyone I have ever met, and am constantly
heartened by the wonderful people I meet, especially in the US. As a
touring musician, I have the opportunity to visit a lot of parts of the
country and I have yet to experience any parts of the country that live
up to negative stereotypes. It's a beautiful thing!

Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"surf" wrote:

[...]

I do respect your FSP, as long as you
agree that he is al dente.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote:

[...]

Numerous millions of Islamists that would have me
convert by the sword offend me much more
than does Bush, who merely asks that the the God he believes in
would bless America. BTW, I am agnostic, I certainly don't
avow a belief in God, and most certainly not the
intervening sort as espoused by most of Christianity, Judaism,
and Islam. But such expressions by others don't offend me.
I don't expect a President to park his beliefs
at the oval office door, its part and parcel of who he is.

AFA Abortion, minors should be required to
get approval from their parents, but wives should not be
required to get approval from their husbands,
though to amke things fair,we should require wives
to get abortions if their husbands demand it.
We just can't have to much of a good thing!

I am unoffended by almost everyone I have ever met, and am constantly
heartened by the wonderful people I meet, especially in the US. As a
touring musician, I have the opportunity to visit a lot of parts of the
country and I have yet to experience any parts of the country that live
up to negative stereotypes. It's a beautiful thing!

Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Edwin Hurwitz

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

I do respect your FSP, as long as you
agree that he is al dente.

Oooh, what a horrible thought! I couldn't live in a universe that wasn't
al dente! Overcooked FSM, yech! That's like listening to Bose.

Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
WillBrink

In article ,
Schizoid Man wrote:

I cannot believe the audacity of Judge Johns.

You mean Jones, the Christian Republican Judge?

Not only is he legislating
from the bench, he is also not qualified to dismiss the scientific
theory of intelligent design as 'thinly-veiled creationism'.

Sure he is.

I wonder whether the White House will encourage the Supreme Court to
review the ruling.

Why? The ruling was exactly as it should be.

Moronic dribble snipped.

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
WillBrink

In article ,
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

wrote in message
link.net...

"surf" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote...

**What a curious and particularly offensive statement.

You'll get over it, Trev.
I say that because they all seem angry when they're discussing their
belief. They get all riled up. Angry people aren't generally attractive
- the boyishly charming Mikey excepted.

I'm not particularly angry about discussing my reasoning for being an
atheist, it's simply the only choice I could make.

No theory of a supreme being is logically defensible.

It is faith based.

Exactly. Faith = lack of proof.

But it is logical to believe that the universe, as is
known and explained by science, was originated
by a creator.

No it's not. There is nothing logical about it.

Of course it is aso logical
to wonder who created the creator.
Somewhere along the line, something just started up,
without a Supreme Being around to create it.
Not that there isn't a Supreme Being, but somehow
he/she/it would have to be created.
Now, if you want to say the Supreme Being always
existed, you can also say that the universe always existed,
and that there never was a "creation".

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"WillBrink" wrote in message
"Clyde Slick" wrote:

wrote in message
link.net...

"surf" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote...

**What a curious and particularly offensive statement.

You'll get over it, Trev.
I say that because they all seem angry when they're discussing their
belief. They get all riled up. Angry people aren't generally
attractive
- the boyishly charming Mikey excepted.
I'm not particularly angry about discussing my reasoning for being an
atheist, it's simply the only choice I could make.

No theory of a supreme being is logically defensible.

It is faith based.

Exactly. Faith = lack of proof.

But it is logical to believe that the universe, as is
known and explained by science, was originated
by a creator.

No it's not. There is nothing logical about it.

Read on... the point was that there is "no"
logical explanation for the utlitmate beginning
of time, matter, and energy.
God is as good or bad as any other explanation.
Any explanation you provide begs the question of who or what
caused 'that' to happen, and the question of what existed
before the uniberse existed.