A little help with adaptors and naming.

Old February 3rd 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Putnam

Default A little help with adaptors and naming.

I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
be wanting in pretty short order.

So, two things:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.

Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
just the purpose described above.

Is there a proper name for the first described above that could be
used in these searches and draw better results?
Old February 3rd 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer[_5_]

On Monday, February 3, 2014 11:50:26 AM UTC-5, Harry Putnam wrote:
> 2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
> (earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
> used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
> stereo... both left and right in each plug.

This is the perfect excuse to learn how to solder!

--Ethan
Old February 3rd 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler

What you're looking for is a 1/8" TRS male > 2 1/4" TRS male cable. It's not a stock item, but you can create it from a 1/8" TRS male > 1/4" TRS male cable plus a 1/4" TRS female > 2 1/4" TRS male cable. The latter is also not particularly common, but check Radio Shack.

If you'd rather have the whole thing in a single cable, either do as Ethan Winer suggests -- learn to solder, then build it yourself -- or get in touch with Markertek, which will build just about anything for you.

Peace,
Paul
Old February 3rd 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns

PStamler > writes:

>What you're looking for is a 1/8" TRS male > 2 1/4" TRS male cable. It's no=
>t a stock item, but you can create it from a 1/8" TRS male > 1/4" TRS male =
>cable plus a 1/4" TRS female > 2 1/4" TRS male cable. The latter is also no=
>t particularly common, but check Radio Shack.

>If you'd rather have the whole thing in a single cable, either do as Ethan =
>Winer suggests -- learn to solder, then build it yourself -- or get in touc=
>h with Markertek, which will build just about anything for you.

Might even be in the adaptor section of the Markertek catalog. They've often had
some pretty wild stuff. To the OP, check it out.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Old February 3rd 14, 08:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Harry Putnam > wrote:
>I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
>be wanting in pretty short order.
>
>So, two things:
>
>1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
> looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Markertek Video Supply is a good place.

>2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
> (earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
> used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
> stereo... both left and right in each plug.

It's not a 1/8 plug, it's a 3.5mm plug or a mini phone plug.

So, you want a Y connector with 3.5mm male on one end to two 1/4 phones
on the other end, T->T, R-R, S-S?

That's weird. Markertek will probably have to make that up as a custom,
although their custom cables aren't expensive.

> Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
> 2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.
>
> Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
> to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
> just the purpose described above.
>
> Is there a proper name for the first described above that could be
> used in these searches and draw better results?

Just pick up the phone and talk to the Markertek people. Or call Gepco,
which also does good custom cables for cheap. Or make it yourself.

Out of curiosity, why do you want such a strange thing?
Old February 3rd 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

"Harry Putnam" wrote in message ...

I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
be wanting in pretty short order.

So, two things:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.

Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
just the purpose described above.

It's unlikely you will find what you are looking for off the shelf, this is
rather an unusual configuration.

I know you said you didn't want more pieces, but, by far the simplest,
cheapest and quickest solution would be to get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stereo...3D400617159831

And 2 of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-to3-5m... em1e861a2eaf

You can probably get both locally, cheaply, and with little difficulty.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Old February 3rd 14, 11:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 2/3/2014 11:50 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:

> 1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
> looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Amazon has so many suppliers that usually if it exists, somebody
probably has it. But what I've found when searching from Amazon is that
I sometimes have to fool around with the search term before I get to
somebody who has what I'm looking for.

> 2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
> (earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
> used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
> stereo... both left and right in each plug.

The reason why you're having difficulty finding that cable is because
nobody else wants on. Are you sure this is what you really need? Out of
curiosity, what's your application? What most people need is to split
the left and right channels of a stereo output into two separate cables
so they can connect one powered speaker or amplifier to the left channel
of the source and the other to the right channel. If you were asking for
the 1/4" ends to be jacks (female) rather than plugs, that would be
practical for splitting a single 1/8" output to two standard sets of
headphones. But when it comes to speakers, when you have two leads
splitting out from the source, you usually want one channel on each cable.

In general, the term to use when searching for this type of cable or
adapter is "Y-cable" or "splitter." You might try those, but honestly I
don't think you'll find what you're looking for off the shelf.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Old February 3rd 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

On 02/03/2014 03:30 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

> "Tobiah" wrote in message ...
>> 2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
>> (earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
>> used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
>> stereo... both left and right in each plug.

> It's difficult to imagine the purpose of carrying to copies of
> the signal to the speaker. Is this really a thing?
>

> I think Harry is confusing TRS jacks with Stereo jacks.

I actually misread what he was asking for as having each
cable carry two copies of each signal. Now it sounds even
stranger - full stereo to the left speaker, and full stereo
to the right speaker? Curiouser and curiouser.

Old February 4th 14, 12:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...

On 02/03/2014 03:30 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

> "Tobiah" wrote in message ...
>> 2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
>> (earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
>> used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
>> stereo... both left and right in each plug.

> It's difficult to imagine the purpose of carrying to copies of
> the signal to the speaker. Is this really a thing?
>

> I think Harry is confusing TRS jacks with Stereo jacks.

I actually misread what he was asking for as having each
cable carry two copies of each signal. Now it sounds even
stranger - full stereo to the left speaker, and full stereo
to the right speaker? Curiouser and curiouser.

No, he is confusing TRS with Stereo.

Gareth.

Old February 4th 14, 04:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:50:26 -0800, Harry Putnam wrote
(in article >):

> 1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
> looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Markertek:

http://www.markertek.com/
(800) 522-2025

Their phone order people are actually very helpful.

--MFW