Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

Old March 22nd 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
fudgee logic

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg

Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
adaptor (or coupler)?

Old March 22nd 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
David Nebenzahl

On 3/22/2009 1:10 PM fudgee logic spake thus:

> Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
> adapters:
>
> (1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
> "phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.
>
> (2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
> referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?
>
> Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg
>
> Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
> join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
> adaptor (or coupler)?

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old March 22nd 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_]

"David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
s.com...
> On 3/22/2009 1:10 PM fudgee logic spake thus:
>
>> Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
>> adapters:
>>
>> (1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
>> "phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.
>>
>> (2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
>> referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?
>>
>> Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg
>>
>> Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
>> join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
>> adaptor (or coupler)?

> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector". Or
> ... )
>
> (Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)
>

> --

In France they're called Cinch connectors.
I'd call the adapter a back-to-back female phono coupler

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Old March 23rd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Mr.T

"David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
s.com...
> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
> Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

> (Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
"phone".

MrT.

Old March 23rd 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan

"Serge Auckland" > wrote in newsr-
:

> I'd call the adapter a back-to-back female phono coupler

And I bet she'd slap your face if you did. >
Old March 23rd 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
David Nebenzahl

On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:

> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>
>> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
>> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
>> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
>> Or ... )

> Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
> It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
> a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

Old March 23rd 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Jasen Betts[_2_]

On 2009-03-23, David Nebenzahl > wrote:
> On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:
>
>> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
>> s.com...
> >
>>> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
>>> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
>>> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
>>> Or ... )

>> Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
>> It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
>> a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

> Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
> "offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
> wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

winds are like electric current, the actual flow is the opposite way
to the common description.

Old March 23rd 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
fudgee logic

"Mr.T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
u...

> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
>> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
>> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
>> Or ... )

> Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
> It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would
> consider
> a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.
>
>> (Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

> Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
> "phone".
>
> MrT.

OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
rather than the connectors which it mates with.

Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
3.5mm jack plug.

Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
example, what is the common usage:

(a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
(b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

Old March 23rd 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_]

"fudgee logic" > wrote in message
> "Mr.T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> u...
>>
>> "David Nebenzahl" > wrote in message
>> s.com...
>>> I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
>>> what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
>>> describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
>>> Or ... )

>> Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
>> It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would
>> consider
>> a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.
>>
>>> (Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

>> Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
>> "phone".
>>
>> MrT.
>>

> OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
> changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
> rather than the connectors which it mates with.
>
> Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
> example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
> 3.5mm jack plug.
>
> Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
> example, what is the common usage:
>
> (a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
> (b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Old March 23rd 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:09:41 -0000, "Serge Auckland"
> wrote:

>One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As far
>as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
>therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.
>
>Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You don't
>and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.
>
>S.

Never. A plug is male and a socket is female. Another word for a
socket is a jack. It doesn't matter what they are attached to, and nor
should it - that is entirely beside the point (missing the business
end, if you like).

In RF, of course, there are hermaphrodite connectors, like the 7mm.

Listening dome for convention [email protected] Pro Audio 1 March 22nd 06 02:57 PM
Car audio mute leads ?? Jon Car Audio 2 August 23rd 05 04:45 PM
History of XLR gender convention Hal Laurent Pro Audio 38 March 25th 05 08:44 PM
Breaking News From the Democratic Convention Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 0 July 27th 04 10:41 PM
DBX rack mount adaptors. Kevin Rogers Marketplace 0 July 14th 03 01:40 AM