Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

Old September 15th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
slinkp

Default Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

I'd like to try the shunt resistor trick, as per eg. that old Paul Stamler article, but i have no idea where my soldering kit has got to, and exercising my soldering skills (terrible) is no longer on my list of "fun things to do with my very limited free time". Plugging in a presumably inexpensive thing that's already wired up and seeing if I like it does sound fun though..

So if there's a place or person that sells eg. an XLR barrel with a suitable resistor already correctly wired into it, I'd happily buy one. Google's not turning up such a thing but it's hard to know exactly what to search for..
Old September 15th 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 9/15/2020 10:12 AM, slinkp wrote:
> I'd like to try the shunt resistor trick, as per eg. that old Paul Stamler article, but i have no idea where my soldering kit has got to, and exercising my soldering skills (terrible) is no longer on my list of "fun things to do

> So if there's a place or person that sells eg. an XLR barrel with a suitable resistor already correctly wired into it, I'd happily buy one.

This isn't the sort of thing that becomes a commercial product, though
you might find some on this newsgroup or some other recording-related
forum who will volunteer to make one for you for cost and shipping.

I would, but I won't - because the 600 ohm resistor that Paul came up
with for his article was the best compromise, as evaluated by his
students, for the mic, preamp, and source. Different resistors sounded
different and may sound better than 600 ohms (or no resistor) on a
different source.

The other thing - and maybe now that I think about it, it might not be a
600 ohm resistor after all, but a different value - is that what they
really determined. This is the load on the microphone, which equals the
preamp's input impedance with a resistor in parallel that total 600
ohms. I may not have the number right, but that's the principle.

Paul conducted his experiment using a preamp that he designed and built
himself, so your preamp will be different.

If you want to experiment with varying the load on a microphone, I'd
suggest that you give some consideration to buying a Cloudlifter Z. It's
a pre-preamp with a built-in variable load resistor. Even with the load
resistor switched out, the Cloudlifter will make your SM57 sound better,
and you can fiddle with the variable load to see how (and if) it affects
what you're recording.

https://www.cloudmicrophones.com/cloudlifter-cl-z

Unfortunately it costs about $250 new, but they're available on the used
market.

Old September 15th 20, 06:43 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising

I can't seem to find a suitable XLR F/M barrel, how about a 2' cord with a 1% 600 ohm resistor in one end? Send me an email, it's yours for $10, including shipping. ~ Roy
Old September 15th 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising

Some newsreaders don't include my email, so here 'tis -
Old September 15th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
slinkp

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:02:40 PM UTC-4, Roy W. Rising wrote:
> Some newsreaders don't include my email, so here 'tis -

Thanks Roy! I'll email you.
Old September 15th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/09/2020 5:43 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:
> I can't seem to find a suitable XLR F/M barrel, how about a 2' cord with a 1% 600 ohm resistor in one end? Send me an email, it's yours for $10, including shipping. ~ Roy

Here's one. A bit expensive. A little googling should find one for much
cheaper.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...048-ND/1290432

Old September 15th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/09/2020 9:42 am, geoff wrote:
> On 16/09/2020 5:43 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:
>> I can't seem to find a suitable XLR F/M barrel, how about a 2' cord
>> with a 1% 600 ohm resistor in one end?* Send me an email, it's yours
>> for $10, including shipping.* ~ Roy
>>

> Here's one. A bit expensive. A little googling should find one for much
> cheaper.
>
> https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...048-ND/1290432
>

> geoff

Here's a cheaper one. This is from a New Zealand distributor, but I'm
sure equiv available anywhere in the world.

https://jansen.nz/product/signal-ada...etal-1842.htmx
( that is about US$3.50).

Old September 15th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Roy W. Rising > wrote:
>I can't seem to find a suitable XLR F/M barrel, how about a 2' cord with a 1% 600 ohm resistor in one end? Send me an email, it's yours for $10, including shipping. ~ Roy

Beautiful, Roy! I was going to suggest he drop by a local makerspace with
a cable and a resistor.
Old September 16th 20, 07:46 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 16/09/2020 3:43 am, Roy W. Rising wrote:
> I can't seem to find a suitable XLR F/M barrel, how about a 2' cord with a 1% 600 ohm resistor in one end? Send me an email, it's yours for $10, including shipping. ~ Roy

Wow Roy pretty generous, that's less than the cost of parts and shipping
surely!

Old September 15th 20, 07:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
slinkp

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 10:35:26 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 9/15/2020 10:12 AM, slinkp wrote:
> > I'd like to try the shunt resistor trick, as per eg. that old Paul Stamler article, but i have no idea where my soldering kit has got to, and exercising my soldering skills (terrible) is no longer on my list of "fun things to do
> > So if there's a place or person that sells eg. an XLR barrel with a suitable resistor already correctly wired into it, I'd happily buy one.

> This isn't the sort of thing that becomes a commercial product, though
> you might find some on this newsgroup or some other recording-related
> forum who will volunteer to make one for you for cost and shipping.
>
> I would, but I won't - because the 600 ohm resistor that Paul came up
> with for his article was the best compromise, as evaluated by his
> students, for the mic, preamp, and source. Different resistors sounded
> different and may sound better than 600 ohms (or no resistor) on a
> different source.
>
> The other thing - and maybe now that I think about it, it might not be a
> 600 ohm resistor after all, but a different value - is that what they
> really determined. This is the load on the microphone, which equals the
> preamp's input impedance with a resistor in parallel that total 600
> ohms. I may not have the number right, but that's the principle.
>
> Paul conducted his experiment using a preamp that he designed and built
> himself, so your preamp will be different.

Thanks for the thoughts, Mike!

It took some poking on archive.org but I found the article.
It was a UA 610 preamp, did he design those? (Honest question I have no idea)
Point taken anyway - I don't have one
https://web.archive.org/web/20171123...etail/330.html

He says "I chose 698 ohms as a good compromise resistor value that gives a total load of about 500 ohms (±10%) with common available preamp impedances from 1500–2400 ohms. If you want to tailor the resistor to your preamp or board’s actual value, see the sidebar" and then there's a section where he discusses the formula.

Apparently the 610 has a nominal input impedance of 2k according to the article. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is even higher at 3k.
By his formula, 600 ohms would work for me: 1 / (1/500 - 1/3000) = 600

> If you want to experiment with varying the load on a microphone, I'd
> suggest that you give some consideration to buying a Cloudlifter Z. It's
> a pre-preamp with a built-in variable load resistor. Even with the load
> resistor switched out, the Cloudlifter will make your SM57 sound better,
> and you can fiddle with the variable load to see how (and if) it affects
> what you're recording.
>
> https://www.cloudmicrophones.com/cloudlifter-cl-z
>
> Unfortunately it costs about $250 new, but they're available on the used
> market.

Those do look fun to play with. Thanks!