Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Cheap Replacement Faders for Mackie 1604-VLZ

It's time for new faders on my 1604-VLZ so I called my local rep (I'm
in Toronto) for a quote on the parts. They told me replacement faders
for this model were about CAN$20 a pop. I damn near had a conniption. I
mean, OK, I expected to be gouged, but CAN$420 for new faders on a
$1500 mixer? This is unprecedented in the history of highway robbery.
I'll sooner give the board to Fletcher for his next shish kebab (or
maybe stuffing for kishke?) than bend to that kind of swashbuckling.

Ok, enough melodrama. Does anyone know where to find wholesale or
cheaper equivalent faders for this board?

KZ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
George Gleason

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's time for new faders on my 1604-VLZ so I called my local rep (I'm
in Toronto) for a quote on the parts. They told me replacement faders
for this model were about CAN$20 a pop. I damn near had a conniption. I
mean, OK, I expected to be gouged, but CAN$420 for new faders on a
$1500 mixer? This is unprecedented in the history of highway robbery.
I'll sooner give the board to Fletcher for his next shish kebab (or
maybe stuffing for kishke?) than bend to that kind of swashbuckling.

Ok, enough melodrama. Does anyone know where to find wholesale or
cheaper equivalent faders for this board?

KZ

buy another (used) 1604 with good faders and dust bin the junked one
sad fact is on low end stuff like this replacment is cheaper than repair
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
It's time for new faders on my 1604-VLZ so I called my local rep (I'm
in Toronto) for a quote on the parts. They told me replacement faders
for this model were about CAN$20 a pop. I damn near had a conniption. I
mean, OK, I expected to be gouged, but CAN$420 for new faders on a
$1500 mixer? This is unprecedented in the history of highway robbery.
I'll sooner give the board to Fletcher for his next shish kebab (or
maybe stuffing for kishke?) than bend to that kind of swashbuckling.

Ok, enough melodrama. Does anyone know where to find wholesale or
cheaper equivalent faders for this board?

I think they are ALPS types, and if you can get the part number off of
them, you might find them in the Digi-Key catalogue.

However, if they are noisy, you might be able to get away with a good
cleaning with Cailube rather than actual replacement.

The labour on replacing faders is not so low either.
---scott

KZ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I heard they were Panasonic faders but Alps one will likely fit too.

Here's a link to some Panasonic faders from Digikey....

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...S&Cat=34472515

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Well, they're not noisy so much as they have dead spots and dropouts.
I've got a spray can of MG Chemicals Nu-Trol, a contact
cleaner/lubricant, but that didn't seem to cure the fader on which I
tried it. Maybe Cai-Lube will yeild better results.

I, too, remember reading that the faders were made by Panasonic. If I'm
not mistaken it was mentioned in an old Mackie brochure. I guess I'll
have to crack it open and find out for sure. Thank God for electric
screwdrivers.

]-[

Posted to rec.audio.pro
YourHomeStudioDotCom

You paid $1500 for a 1604 VLZ? Man, you can get them for $849 all day
long on MF. While we're talking about 1604's, the pre-amp on the first
channel just went out. Does anybody know what it costs to replace it
and has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

Thomas
www.yourhomestudio.com

Free Home Studio Newsletter -

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Funny, the channel 1 preamp on this particular mixer is shot as well.

I purchased this board about a month before the Mackie started
advertising the VLZ-Pro series, if memory serves. $1450 plus tax was
about the going rate at the time.

KZ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

You paid $1500 for a 1604 VLZ? Man, you can get them for $849 all day
long on MF. While we're talking about 1604's, the pre-amp on the first
channel just went out. Does anybody know what it costs to replace it
and has anyone else had the same thing happen to them?

You can't 'replace' it, it has to be repaired. Shouldn't be too
complicated for a decent tech but the labour cost for stripping the damn
thing down to get at it and then re-assembling will probably be the
dominant factor.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro

You're right, Mike, but I've got more time than money at this juncture.
Am I sure it's the faders? Subs 1 and 2 drop in and out at random. When
they're out and I slide the faders up and down they come back. There's
no crackling. Does it sound like the faders to you?

KZ

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Mike Rivers wrote:

Besides, faders
are both important and not really cheap to make.

I doubt Mackie pays more than 50 cents for them in manufacturing quantities.
It's not like it's a Penny and Giles part in there.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Pooh Bear wrote:

Well, actually in this case it's because Mackie's making a huge 'mark up' on
the price they pay themselves.

But this is typical of parts, particularly original replacement parts.
The pistons cost $5 when they build the engine, but $250 when you have
to go to the parts counter and buy a replacement. It's the same $5
piston.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Pooh Bear wrote:

I doubt Mackie pays more than 50 cents for them in manufacturing quantities.
It's not like it's a Penny and Giles part in there.

What difference does it make what they pay? If you want to get a fader
from another source and make it work, that's fine. But it's not you
doing the work in this case.

Unless someone has actually replaced a 1604 VLZ fader with something
from the open market and can supply a stock number, we probalby should
all hold our peace and let the original poster stew about this himself.
As I recall, they're soldered directly to the circuit board. He'll need
a good solder extractor to remove them without damage. There's probably
too much copper area to do the job with solder wick.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Mike Rivers wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

Well, actually in this case it's because Mackie's making a huge 'mark up' on
the price they pay themselves.

But this is typical of parts, particularly original replacement parts.
The pistons cost $5 when they build the engine, but $250 when you have
to go to the parts counter and buy a replacement. It's the same $5
piston.

In both instances it pays to go ( if you can ) to an independent. In the case of
the car to a motor factors, in this case to an independent components distributor
like Digikey.

The manufacturer offers the assurance you'll get *exactly* the correct part of
course ( usually ).

The Digikey site had what I expect are the right faders ( electrically ) for
around $3-4 ea,

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Mike Rivers wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

I doubt Mackie pays more than 50 cents for them in manufacturing quantities.
It's not like it's a Penny and Giles part in there.

What difference does it make what they pay? If you want to get a fader
from another source and make it work, that's fine. But it's not you
doing the work in this case.

I just fancied illustrating Mackie's greed. I've bought similar replacement parts
from Soundcraft and whilst pricey, they're much more reasonably priced, around £3
ea from memory.

Unless someone has actually replaced a 1604 VLZ fader with something
from the open market and can supply a stock number, we probalby should
all hold our peace and let the original poster stew about this himself.
As I recall, they're soldered directly to the circuit board. He'll need
a good solder extractor to remove them without damage. There's probably
too much copper area to do the job with solder wick.

You're right about it being tricky to replace. It's a fiddly job best only
attempted by someone with excellent soldering skills and all the right tools. The
danger of damaging the pcb is quite high. I find it necessary to use both a
'solder sucker' and wick to do the job properly. It helps a lot btw to simply cut
things like the mechanical retaining lugs soldered in the pcb with fine shears
before attempting to desolder and then remove those bits individually later.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Mike Rivers wrote:
wrote:

Am I sure it's the faders? Subs 1 and 2 drop in and out at random. When
they're out and I slide the faders up and down they come back. There's
no crackling. Does it sound like the faders to you?

It could be, or it could be something circuit-wise. I assume that
you're talking about when you move the subgroup faders, the subs come
back, not when you move some channel faders. If you can move the fader
slowly and find that the signal drops out at a specific point along the
fader travel, it's probably a dead spot on the fader. If you just have
to goose it to get the signal back, it's probalby a capacitor somewhere
after the fader.

Wait. How about ribbon connector sleeping sickness? It could behave
like that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
George Gleason

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pooh Bear wrote:

I doubt Mackie pays more than 50 cents for them in manufacturing

quantities.
It's not like it's a Penny and Giles part in there.

What difference does it make what they pay? If you want to get a fader
from another source and make it work, that's fine. But it's not you
doing the work in this case.

Unless someone has actually replaced a 1604 VLZ fader with something
from the open market and can supply a stock number, we probalby should
all hold our peace and let the original poster stew about this himself.
As I recall, they're soldered directly to the circuit board. He'll need
a good solder extractor to remove them without damage. There's probably
too much copper area to do the job with solder wick.

more the reason to sell this low end stuff off to a less critical user once
it starts acting up
I voice in on just dust binning it and getting either another cheap ass
mixer, behringer 3242 are 299$ right now
or getting a decent product but to spend time and money fixing what was a
pos when sold as new is anti-productive
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

YourHomeStudioDotCom wrote:

You paid $1500 for a 1604 VLZ? Man, you can get them for $849 all day
long on MF.

He's talking Canadian dollars.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

Pooh Bear wrote:

Well, actually in this case it's because Mackie's making
a huge 'mark up' on the price they pay themselves.

But this is typical of parts, particularly original
replacement parts. The pistons cost $5 when they build
the engine, but $250 when you have to go to the parts
counter and buy a replacement. It's the same $5 piston.

It does in fact cost a lot to handle a single object in a stock of a large
number of different kinds of objects. Everybody in retail is trying to
reduce the number of different items on hand. Merchandising is migrating
towards a relatively small number of very large highly-automated warehouses,
such as those used by Amazon or Digi-Key.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Michael Putrino

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
[...]

Also try Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/). They have quite a few replacement
faders, but I have no idea if they have the ones you are looking for.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

George Gleason wrote:

to spend time and money fixing what was a
pos when sold as new is anti-productive

For some reason Tonebarge replaced all the faders in his original 1604.
Perhaps his and his alone is not a piece of ****? Or does he just know
how to track, mix, and master?

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George Gleason

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
George Gleason wrote:

to spend time and money fixing what was a
pos when sold as new is anti-productive

For some reason Tonebarge replaced all the faders in his original 1604.
Perhaps his and his alone is not a piece of ****? Or does he just know
how to track, mix, and master?

your opinion of Piece of **** and mine differ
when I am buying a piece of **** I perfer not to pay premimum price for it
Peace
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

Pooh Bear wrote:

Well, actually in this case it's because Mackie's making
a huge 'mark up' on the price they pay themselves.

But this is typical of parts, particularly original
replacement parts. The pistons cost $5 when they build
the engine, but $250 when you have to go to the parts
counter and buy a replacement. It's the same $5 piston.

It does in fact cost a lot to handle a single object in a stock of a large
number of different kinds of objects. Everybody in retail is trying to
reduce the number of different items on hand. Merchandising is migrating
towards a relatively small number of very large highly-automated warehouses,
such as those used by Amazon or Digi-Key.

It costs a lot to stock an item made specifically for one model of
something (in this case a piston designed for one particular engine) and
make it available for years in case a customer needs one. That does
cost money.

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer. The component was not specifically designed for this
device, is used in many others and will not be obsoleted with that
particular model mixer.

In such cases it really is greed--IMHO--which drives astronomic
replacement prices. The manufacturer doesn't even need to stock the
spare. It can order as needed and drop-ship directly to the user from
the supplier.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer. The component was not specifically designed for this
device, is used in many others and will not be obsoleted with that
particular model mixer.

In such cases it really is greed--IMHO--which drives astronomic
replacement prices. The manufacturer doesn't even need to stock the
spare. It can order as needed and drop-ship directly to the user from
the supplier.

Some it may be greed. But some of it may be the cost of keeping a
bag of seldom-sold replacement parts on the shelf and the OUTRAGEOUS
amount of tax on spare parts inventory.

Some time during the second Reagan term, the laws on taxing spare parts
inventory changed dramatically and a lot of companies as a result decided
to just junk all their less-common spares. Very depressing.

But for thing that don't fail often, or for parts that aren't really
cost-effective to replace, or for parts that appear in only one product,
it becomes very difficult for a manufacturer to justify keeping any
spares on the shelf at all today.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer.

Are you absolutely sure of this? If so, then you should be able to
provide a part number and guarantee that it will fit. Mackie has used a
lot of custom parts in their mixers over the years. When you ship tens
of thousands of mixers annually, you can have a manufacturer make a
fader to your specifications and, because of the quantity you buy, sell
it cheaper than the off-the-shelf part.

I really don't know what's in a 1640 VLZ, but I can tell you that the
Penny & Giles faders in the dxb are like no other Penny & Giles fader.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

Mike Rivers wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer.

Are you absolutely sure of this? If so, then you should be able to
provide a part number and guarantee that it will fit. Mackie has used a
lot of custom parts in their mixers over the years. When you ship tens
of thousands of mixers annually, you can have a manufacturer make a
fader to your specifications and, because of the quantity you buy, sell
it cheaper than the off-the-shelf part.

Admittedly, no; but my money would still be on off-the-shelf. This is a
$1500 (List) mixer...available on the street for less than $900
according to the thread.

I earlier suggested buying ONE and comparing. Perhaps someone here
knows, but he hasn't spoken up if so. What would be the advantage in
spec'ing custom pots at this price point? Thousands of pots, yes, but
if the difference is only pennies per, it still adds up.

Even in the quantities of which we speak, off the shelf is still going
to be cheaper. Design work and tooling costs. If Alps would sell me
ten thousand custom faders for X dollars, I'm willing to bet that they
would sell me ten thousand similar, but off-the-shelf, standard parts,
out of their inventory for less.

'How much' less is open to speculation; but they'd be crazy not to...

I really don't know what's in a 1640 VLZ, but I can tell you that the
Penny & Giles faders in the dxb are like no other Penny & Giles fader.

In what way? In any case, we're not talking P&G, anyway...but I'm
willing to stand corrected if anyone knows for sure.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

jakdedert wrote:

What would be the advantage in
spec'ing custom pots at this price point? Thousands of pots, yes, but
if the difference is only pennies per, it still adds up.

You can design a product around off the shelf parts, but then you're
stuck with certain dimensions, terminal layouts, values, and other
stuff too fierce to mention. It may be that by using a custom part they
can cut costs in other places. When you're building thousands of units
a month, you have to look at total product cost, not just parts cost.

I really don't know what's in a 1640 VLZ, but I can tell you that the
Penny & Giles faders in the dxb are like no other Penny & Giles fader.

In what way? In any case, we're not talking P&G, anyway...but I'm
willing to stand corrected if anyone knows for sure.

They're P&G, but they're a design licesnsed to Mackie and manufactured
by Mackie's sources in China. So there!

The 1640VLZ does not have P&G faders, but Scott may be correct about
Alps.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Mike Rivers wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

What would be the advantage in
spec'ing custom pots at this price point? Thousands of pots, yes, but
if the difference is only pennies per, it still adds up.

You can design a product around off the shelf parts, but then you're
stuck with certain dimensions, terminal layouts, values, and other
stuff too fierce to mention. It may be that by using a custom part they
can cut costs in other places. When you're building thousands of units
a month, you have to look at total product cost, not just parts cost.

You have to have a damn good reason to use truly 'custom' parts.

When you're buying by the thousand or tens of thousand you do have more
flexibility in being able to obtain the rarer versions of standard parts
though, such as certain resistance tapers for pots.

Bear in mind that the standard product was likely designed to fit your
application in the first place.

I've never seen a custom fader in any of the lower cost mixers. They all use
the stock catalogue parts.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Pooh Bear wrote:

I've never seen a custom fader in any of the lower cost mixers. They all use
the stock catalogue parts.

You could make this whole argument go away by supplying a stock catalog
number. If you don't have one for Mackie, name a mass-produced mixer
that you know and give us a reference to the stock fader that's used in
it.

And if you're just theorizing, back off.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

Mike Rivers wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

[...]

You misunderstood me, I think. I was referring to the OP's mixer, not
your VLZ, which (if I understand) is a more expensive unit. I have no
reason to doubt your word. If you say it's got P&G's, why would I
contradict you? In any case, it's only peripherally related to the
discussion at hand.

The 1640VLZ does not have P&G faders, but Scott may be correct about
Alps.

...or Panasonic, as one responder seemed to recall.

I don't understand why this thread is getting heated. It seems that no
responder has direct experience with the unit in question, so all is
theoretical at this point.

If someone can say for sure, I am certainly willing to be educated.

It's still my feeling that at this price point, it would make sense for
Mackie to use OTS parts; but I'm willing to concede that they might not
have done so.

OTOH, from this distance, I would lean toward the ribbon connector issue
that some have discussed in reference to this(?) thread. If it was my
desk, I'd have had it opened up by now, and know for sure.

I'm not going to open up one of my (non-Mackie) mixers to supply a part
number. Perhaps someone has a service manual?

jak

jak

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer. The component was not specifically designed for this
device, is used in many others and will not be obsoleted with that
particular model mixer.

In such cases it really is greed--IMHO--which drives astronomic
replacement prices. The manufacturer doesn't even need to stock the
spare. It can order as needed and drop-ship directly to the user from
the supplier.

But just try and ask Alps to ship one or two or a couple dozen faders
fader to an owner of a inexpensive console. They're just not set up to
work on a scale that small.

--
ha
Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

hank alrich wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer. The component was not specifically designed for this
device, is used in many others and will not be obsoleted with that
particular model mixer.

In such cases it really is greed--IMHO--which drives astronomic
replacement prices. The manufacturer doesn't even need to stock the
spare. It can order as needed and drop-ship directly to the user from
the supplier.

But just try and ask Alps to ship one or two or a couple dozen faders
fader to an owner of a inexpensive console. They're just not set up to
work on a scale that small.

Of course not, that's why there are distributers.

jak

--
ha

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

jakdedert wrote:

I'm not going to open up one of my (non-Mackie) mixers to supply a part
number.

You're unlikely to find anything other than an abbreviated one on the part
anyway.

Perhaps someone has a service manual?

Typically these just give the manufacturer's internal part number only not the
vendor's.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

hank alrich wrote:

jakdedert wrote:

In the case of this relatively cheap mixer, however, we're talking about
an outsourced, plain vanilla, off the shelf generic part...a simple
potentiometer. The component was not specifically designed for this
device, is used in many others and will not be obsoleted with that
particular model mixer.

In such cases it really is greed--IMHO--which drives astronomic
replacement prices. The manufacturer doesn't even need to stock the
spare. It can order as needed and drop-ship directly to the user from
the supplier.

But just try and ask Alps to ship one or two or a couple dozen faders
fader to an owner of a inexpensive console. They're just not set up to
work on a scale that small.

That's why they have distributors.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"hank alrich" wrote in message

But just try and ask Alps to ship one or two or a couple
dozen faders fader to an owner of a inexpensive console.
They're just not set up to work on a scale that small.

Your point is well-taken. For example, log taper pots are getting to be
very hard to find, particularly ones with more than one or two sections and
with larger diameter elements. They are in the Alps catalog, but the minimum
order is 1200 pieces.

http://www.potentiometer.com/select_...06042203260216