Jocelyn Major

Default Live performance!

Hello folks,
Just a little note to tell you that I just came back for a Piano concert
performed by kids aged from 5 to 17 at the Vincent-D'indy Music College
in Montréal and it was pure joy. The acoustic of the room was great and
all the kids played on a beautiful Steinway grand Piano. It was cute to
see small kids fighting with the piano;-) but there was a couple of
16-17 years old girls that give a very good performance on Bach and Haydn.

Nothing beat a live performance even if they are just kids. It is just
the of "being there" that is special. No LP or CD can beat that.

Bye

Jocelyn
Jim Cate

I had a similar experience last week. - I spent some 50 hours listening
to live piano and piano-string quartet performances at the Van Cliburn
piano competition in Fort Worth. There were some great performances and
great music, and it gives one a reference from which to judge the
response of audio gear relative to an actual performance. (All in all,
I'm still happy with the sound of my Maggie M3.6s, with sub. - Not too
far from the actual concert sound at two of three locations in the hall.)

Incidentally, the finals are in progress this week and can be seen and
heard live in streaming video on www.cliburn.org Wednesday through
Sunday at 7:30 p.m. CST, in case anyone is interested.

Jim

Jocelyn Major wrote:
Hello folks,
Just a little note to tell you that I just came back for a Piano concert
performed by kids aged from 5 to 17 at the Vincent-D'indy Music College
in Montréal and it was pure joy. The acoustic of the room was great and
all the kids played on a beautiful Steinway grand Piano. It was cute to
see small kids fighting with the piano;-) but there was a couple of
16-17 years old girls that give a very good performance on Bach and Haydn.

Nothing beat a live performance even if they are just kids. It is just
the of "being there" that is special. No LP or CD can beat that.

Bye

Jocelyn

Harry Lavo

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
I had a similar experience last week. - I spent some 50 hours listening
to live piano and piano-string quartet performances at the Van Cliburn
piano competition in Fort Worth. There were some great performances and
great music, and it gives one a reference from which to judge the
response of audio gear relative to an actual performance. (All in all,
I'm still happy with the sound of my Maggie M3.6s, with sub. - Not too
far from the actual concert sound at two of three locations in the hall.)

Incidentally, the finals are in progress this week and can be seen and
heard live in streaming video on www.cliburn.org Wednesday through
Sunday at 7:30 p.m. CST, in case anyone is interested.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I've got my new AMD Athlon XP machine outputting through my
bedroom stereo, so it might be fun to stream it in and see what it sounds
like.

Jenn

Jim Cate wrote:
I had a similar experience last week. - I spent some 50 hours listening
to live piano and piano-string quartet performances at the Van Cliburn
piano competition in Fort Worth. There were some great performances and
great music, and it gives one a reference from which to judge the
response of audio gear relative to an actual performance. (All in all,
I'm still happy with the sound of my Maggie M3.6s, with sub. - Not too
far from the actual concert sound at two of three locations in the hall.)

Incidentally, the finals are in progress this week and can be seen and
heard live in streaming video on www.cliburn.org Wednesday through
Sunday at 7:30 p.m. CST, in case anyone is interested.

Congrats to both of you. That's just marvelous!
Russ Button

If any of y'all are in the San Francisco area and want to
hear some exceptional live music, my wife's quartet is
performing this weekend in Alameda. They are an
"early music" group consisting of baroque violin,
transverse flute, viola da gamba and harpsichord.

The program will be:

J.J. Quantz, Trio Sonata in C Major
G.P. Telemann, Duo for Flute and Violin
Marais, Suite for Viola da Gamba
G.P. Telemann, Concerto II from the Paris Quartets

C.F. Abel, Quartet #3
D'Anglebert, Suite for Harpsichord
Le Clair, Recreation #2

Date: Sunday, June 5th, 2005
Time: 7:00 PM

First Presbyterian Church
2001 Santa Clara Avenue
Alameda, California

This is not a garage band. These people are all busy
professional level players living here in the San Francisco
area. They're so busy playing the regular orchestral
and wedding gigs, that they very rarely have the
chance to spend the time to prepare a performance of
the kinds of chamber music they love.

Coolness,

Russ

Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Jim Cate" wrote in message
[...]

Well, Jim...I just finished listening to a marvelous performance of
Beethoven's "Emperor" Concerto by 25 yr old Sa Chen of China. Must say I
much prefer her playing to Lang Lang, with whom she apparently competes as a
peer in the orient. How many people are in the finals..five?

Sound was okay, picutures also okay. Most of the time I was streaming at
300kps. Listened first on my tiny Koss headphones plugged directly into the
computer. They sounded as good as they ever had. Then listened on my good
Koss Pro 4aa's driven by the Onkyo 401 integrated headphone amp, which is an
absolutely excellent headphone amp. Here the limitations of the stream were
readily apparent, but not enough to prevent enjoyment of the music and
performance.

Thanks for the tip. I encourage others here to "tune in". I'm certainly
glad I did, and will doubtless do it again before Sunday is over and the
series ends.

Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Jim Cate" wrote in message
[...]

6 finalists.

Sa Chen is really not a competitive peer of Lang Lang. The latter has
been studying in Philadelphia since 1997. Sa Chen was a peer of the
brilliant Yundi Li. Chen placed 5th in the finals when Li won the Chopin
Competition in 2000. Lang and Li are the two top young pianists from
China, and Chen is a distant 3rd.

Sound was okay, picutures also okay. Most of the time I was streaming at
300kps. Listened first on my tiny Koss headphones plugged directly into the
computer. They sounded as good as they ever had. Then listened on my good
Koss Pro 4aa's driven by the Onkyo 401 integrated headphone amp, which is an
absolutely excellent headphone amp. Here the limitations of the stream were
readily apparent, but not enough to prevent enjoyment of the music and
performance.

Thanks for the tip. I encourage others here to "tune in". I'm certainly
glad I did, and will doubtless do it again before Sunday is over and the
series ends.

Here's a news article:

http://news.com.com/Blogging+classic...3-5728377.html

Chung

Chung wrote:
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Jim Cate" wrote in message
[...]

For those who have not seen Yundi Li play, here is where you can
download a video clip of him playing a Chopin Scherzo:

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/ar...s?ART_ID=LIYUN

It's a big file (36MB), very good quality of 1 Mbps real media video.
You can also see the new approach to selling classical music: get
musicians with appeal to the young generation, and package it a la MTV.

Mixing, Any additional suggestions? Matrixmusic Pro Audio 24 September 10th 05 02:01 PM
Live Playback During a Performance hank alrich Pro Audio 0 December 27th 04 04:20 PM
CAKEWALK SONAR 4 PRODUCER EDITION, Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass Collection [2 DVDs], Vienna Symphonic Orchestra Pro Performance [4 DVDs], M-Audio ProSessions [2 CDs], Simon Harris Beats [3 CDs], new !, other astra35 Tech 0 October 13th 04 09:40 PM
Lyrics for We Live Curious Tech 3 May 25th 04 10:00 PM
increadible live solo performance Craig Ruggels Pro Audio 0 September 17th 03 12:24 AM