Michael McKelvy

Default The Audio Critic

Is now a web magazine.

www.theaudiocritic.com

They have a great review of the Linkwitz Labs Orion speakers. Very favorable
and a steal for the money.

Arny Krueger

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
nk.net
Is now a web magazine.

www.theaudiocritic.com

They have a great review of the Linkwitz Labs Orion speakers. Very
favorable and a steal for the money.

They are also giving away this article, which is a classic:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

2. The Vacuum-Tube Lie
This lie is also, in a sense, about a peripheral
matter, since vacuum tubes are
hardly mainstream in the age of silicon.
It's an all-pervasive lie, however,
in the high-end audio market; just
count the tube-equipment ads as a percentage
of total ad pages in the typical
high-end magazine. Unbelievable! And
so is, of course, the claim that vacuum
tubes are inherently superior to transistors
in audio applications-don't
you believe it.

Tubes are great for high-powered
RF transmitters and microwave ovens
but not, at the turn of the century, for
amplifiers, preamps, or (good grief!)
digital components like CD and DVD
players.

What's wrong with tubes?
Nothing, really. There's nothing wrong
with gold teeth, either, even for upper
incisors (that Mideastern grin); it's just
that modern dentistry offers more attractive
options. Whatever vacuum
tubes can do in a piece of audio equipment,
solid-state devices can do better,
at lower cost, with greater reliability.

Even the world's best-designed tube
amplifier will have higher distortion
than an equally well-designed transistor
amplifier and will almost certainly need
more servicing (tube replacements,
rebiasing, etc.) during its lifetime. (Idiotic
designs such as 8-watt single-ended
triode amplifiers are of course exempt,
by default, from such comparisons since
they have no solid-state counterpart.)

As for the "tube sound," there are
two possibilities: (1) It's a figment of
the deluded audiophile's imagination,
or (2) it's a deliberate coloration introduced
by the manufacturer to appeal
to corrupted tastes, in which case a
solid-state design could easily mimic
the sound if the designer were perverse
enough to want it that way.

Yes, there exist very special situations
where a sophisticated designer of hi-fi
electronics might consider using a tube
(e.g., the RF stage of an FM tuner), but
those rare and narrowly qualified exceptions
cannot redeem the common,
garden-variety lies of the tube marketers,
who want you to buy into an obsolete
technology

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

The "ten biggest lies" from the Audio Critic, if inverted, could easily
be the "top ten truths" from $tereopile. I hope many Audio Critic types
show up for the debate.

Let's kick a little Lyin' Limey butt.

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

If they show up in proportion to the buyers of the two magazines (not
likely given it is a Stereophile show) you may have some fraction of
one person represent the Audio Critic. If Arny shows up to the debate
he will likely be facing an unsympathetic audience. I still expect him
to be a no show at the debate.

Let's kick a little Lyin' Limey butt.

Good luck.

Scott Wheeler

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Don't know much about NYC, eh, Bloated GasBag?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
wrote:

The "ten biggest lies" from the Audio Critic, if inverted, could
easily be the "top ten truths" from $tereopile. I hope many Audio
Critic types show up for the debate.

Point well taken.

If they show up in proportion to the buyers of the two magazines (not
likely given it is a Stereophile show) you may have some fraction of
one person represent the Audio Critic.

I know that SP has by far the larger circulation, but this seems a bit
hyperbolic. IOW, in keeping with the SP tradition.

If Arny shows up to the debate
he will likely be facing an unsympathetic audience.

Doooh! That's the whole point.

I still expect him to be a no show at the debate.

If I'm not there, it won't be my fault. I'm going to make every reasonable
effort to be there.

Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com
wrote:

I still expect him to be a no show at the debate.

If I'm not there, it won't be my fault. I'm going to make every reasonable
effort to be there.

Here we go!!!!

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

Let's kick a little Lyin' Limey butt.

Begs the question as to whether or not he knows better.

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com

Let's kick a little Lyin' Limey butt.

Begs the question as to whether or not he knows better.

I think the way Atkinson dances around certain issues indicates he is
more of a deceiver than an ignoramus.

Let's kick a little Lyin' Limey butt.

If I'm not mistaken, John Atkinson is an American.

Norm Strong

Tom

"John Atkinson" wrote:

These days, yes Norm. I became a US citizen in August '03.

Hi John -
As I'm sure you read, "someone" wrote that the reason you
feel this debate is "necessary" is because Arny has put a
serious dent in the credibility of your magazine.
Could you stop laughing for a moment and elaborate a little
bit on your statement "necessary".

Clyde Slick

[...]

I can't wait for my next issue of Stereophile,
chock full of ads for SS amps claiming to sound like
tube amps, at a fraction of the cost!

Aczel is so flummoxed, he can't even tell
us which of the two alternatives (as to tube sound)
he presented is operative. It can't be both!/

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" quoted:

"What's wrong with tubes?
Nothing, really. "

Thanks, Arnold ;-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "

Joseph Oberlander

Arny Krueger wrote:

As for the "tube sound," there are
two possibilities: (1) It's a figment of
the deluded audiophile's imagination,
or (2) it's a deliberate coloration introduced
by the manufacturer to appeal
to corrupted tastes, in which case a
solid-state design could easily mimic
the sound if the designer were perverse
enough to want it that way.

Bzzt. More than likely, it is simply that they are trying
to run that amplifier that really should be rated at 30-40W
instead of a "how large a spike can it produce before it
blows out" 100W they stick on it for marketing purposes
through inefficient speakers.

Of course, the result is a nice 5-10%+ distortion.

Since Tubes distort the harmonics instead of creating
white noise, you get the classic "tube" sound. Just
ask any guitar player.

Yes,one superiority of transformer coupled tube amplifiers is they
overdrive in a perceptionally palatable and non-speaker-destroying
manner. Since amplifying music with realistic dynamic range makes
occasionally overdriving the amplifier almost inevitable, (unless you
have 10 kW of amplifier power, and if you did you would have many
other problems...) tube amplifiers represent a case of cost-effective,
simple management of conflicting parameters.

By accepting the necessity for occasionally replacing and rebiasing
power tubes, we accept a "system weak link" that is manageable and
relatively convenient. As opposed to replacing drivers, or sets of
soldered-in semiconductors.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

Yes,one superiority of transformer coupled tube amplifiers is they
overdrive in a perception palatable and non-speaker-destroying
manner.

Not really.

Since amplifying music with realistic dynamic range makes
occasionally overdriving the amplifier almost inevitable, (unless you
have 10 kW of amplifier power, and if you did you would have many
other problems...) tube amplifiers represent a case of cost-effective,
simple management of conflicting parameters.

Tubed audio amplifiers only make sense as audible EFX generators.

By accepting the necessity for occasionally replacing and rebiasing
power tubes, we accept a "system weak link" that is manageable and
relatively convenient. As opposed to replacing drivers, or sets of
soldered-in semiconductors.

I have to admit that its been so long since I had a power amp in use that
required replacement of any transistors except after one or more decades of
use, that I have no distinct memory of such a thing ever happening.

Since amplifying music with realistic dynamic range makes
occasionally overdriving the amplifier almost inevitable, (unless you

have 10 kW of amplifier power, and if you did you would have many
other problems...) tube amplifiers represent a case of

cost-effective,
simple management of conflicting parameters.

Tubed audio amplifiers only make sense as audible EFX generators.

If only all those square-wave cooked voice coils could talk....they'd
call bull****. A good tubed amp does the same things a good solid state
one does, but its failure and overdrive modes tend to be more benign.
You could design most of its virtues in a solid state amp, but weight
and build cost and thermal dissipation will be just as bad. It will
probably cost more to build in fact. Of course if you love tough-dog
troubleshooting challenges solid state amps can sure generate them.
They can occasionally frustrate you into shotgunning
them....occasionally literally but more often to stripping them to a
chasssis and power xfmr and starting fresh. And think of the delightful
hours you can spend matching P and N devices with a curve tracer. I
suppose solid state is ultimately more fun, since Nelson Pass seems
like a genuinely bright guy, as do several other solid state
designers...but tubes are just easier to get going.

Arny Krueger

From: "Arny Krueger"
Subject: The Audio Critic
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:15 AM

"Lionel" wrote in message

I just give you the refrain :

"But you forgot what I was sayin'
'cause you're an asshole, you're an asshole That's right
You're an asshole, you're an asshole
Yes, yes
You're an asshole, you're an asshole
That's right
You're an asshole, you're an asshole"

In polite conversation we just say that they are autocratic and pompous. ;-)

Arny Krueger

From: "Arny Krueger"
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:36 AM

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

The Krooborg tries out its new "debating trade" software.

If you believe his story, Scott is a Hollywood makeup artist. The
nature of his occupation is that he often has time to burn. He's
apparently achieved some success as a makeup artist which has
convinced him that he is a brilliant audio technologist, master
debater, legal expert, and that he is far more intelligent than John
Atkinson.

My, you have quite the little imagination, don't you? ;-)

Thanks Middius for confirming that no reasonble person would think that
Scott knows anything of merit about audio, that Scott can't argue his way
out of a paper bag, that Scott's legal theories have been proven in court to
be crap, and that Scott has less intelligence and common sense than a
carrot.

From: "Arny Krueger"
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 11:36 AM

[...]

Arny's imagination may be small in scope but it seems to have no off
button.

Scott Wheeler