BigBob

Default Older 2 volt maximum Amplifier gains with newer 4 volt preout head units

Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that have
adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer head
unit that has 4 volt preouts?

MZ

There's no problem.

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"BigBob" wrote in message
Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that have
adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer

head
unit that has 4 volt preouts?

John Dziurlaj

"BigBob" wrote in message news:7u58c.139357$Up2.124018@pd7tw1no...
Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that have
adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer head
unit that has 4 volt preouts?

It won't be a BIG problem, but you won't be able to the enjoy the
extended headroom that 4v provides.

~John Dziurlaj
MZ

Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that
have
adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer

head
unit that has 4 volt preouts?

It won't be a BIG problem, but you won't be able to the enjoy the
extended headroom that 4v provides.

A 4v signal doesn't provide extended headroom. Perhaps you meant something
else?

Tony Hwang

MZ wrote:

Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that

have

adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer

head

unit that has 4 volt preouts?

It won't be a BIG problem, but you won't be able to the enjoy the
extended headroom that 4v provides.

A 4v signal doesn't provide extended headroom. Perhaps you meant something
else?

Hi,
Maybe S/N ratio?
Tony

Eddie Runner

4V doesnt add any headroom!
Adjusting the gains properly at the amp will probably
turn the volts down below 2 volts anyway by the time
it reaches the actual amp circuirty (not circuitry in the amp
but circuitry in the amp that actually amplifies)

http://www.installer.com/tech/gains.html
http://www.installer.com/tech/preamp.html

Eddie

John Dziurlaj wrote:

"BigBob" wrote in message news:7u58c.139357$Up2.124018@pd7tw1no...
Can any one tell me if there is any problem using older ampliers that have
adjustment range of only 0.1 volt to 2 volts on the gains with a newer head
unit that has 4 volt preouts?

It won't be a BIG problem, but you won't be able to the enjoy the
extended headroom that 4v provides.

~John Dziurlaj

thelizman

BigBob wrote:
Thanks Guys
Just wanted to know if I was gonna fry my older Alpine amps or not.

Hell no. I've run stock headunits into preamps before. The "input gain"
adjustment is a very large resistor, and when you have the gains down
they have a far higher input impedence than any speakers.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
BigBob

Thanks.
This is not a stock head unit. Its a late model Alpine CD with 3 pre outs @
4 volt
Yes, I HAVE READ that FAQ many times.
Specific information on the the subject of Amplier gains adjustment seem to
be a subject of much hearsay, and little factual information.
This site also has some good information.
http://www.bcae1.com/
Some othergood sites including your site
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...fiers_faq.html
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
http://www.caraudiomag.com/
http://www.caraudioheaven.com/
http://www.carstereo.com/forum/
http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999002.pdf
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/25e.htm
http://www.realcaraudio.com/
http://www.installer.com/tech/

"thelizman" wrote in message
BigBob wrote:
Thanks Guys
Just wanted to know if I was gonna fry my older Alpine amps or not.

Hell no. I've run stock headunits into preamps before. The "input gain"
adjustment is a very large resistor, and when you have the gains down
they have a far higher input impedence than any speakers.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

PunkMartyr

Uhh..

I think that would create a small problem
How do you know its 2 volt max does it state i
-
PunkMarty
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=18216

BigBob

Yes the old school 3533 and 3525 Alpine amps I have show 0.1 volt through to
2.0 volts on the labeling for the gains.
"PunkMartyr" wrote in
message s.com...
Uhh..

I think that would create a small problem
How do you know its 2 volt max does it state it
--
PunkMartyr
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=182166

Daniel Snooks

PunkMartyr wrote
Uhh..

I think that would create a small problem
How do you know its 2 volt max does it state it

OK ... so you think it will create a small problem ... Why? Are you certain
it won't be a medium size problem?

sq4you

This will not be a problem. Unless you are playing sine waves all da
long, you will never hit 4volts on that alpine deck
-
sq4yo