Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_2_] Mark Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default Newsgroup death spiral

I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of sci.electronics.repair,
rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just about everyone has left the
room for good, except the spammers of course...

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of sci.electronics.repair,
rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just about everyone has left the
room for good, except the spammers of course...

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

Mark Z.

Don't leave this one Mark. Your input and experience on hifi service is much
valued, not only by the amateurs I suspect, but the rest of us who are also
involved professionally at the sharp end of this sort of service work.
Overall, I still think that this group is one of the better ones, with some
very good people experienced in a wide range of electronic, electrical, and
electro-mechanical disciplines, still contributing.

People always come and go, and sometimes disappear for months on end before
coming back. Activity always drops a bit in the summer months, as people
have grass to cut, and barbecues to have ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
Mark Zacharias wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of
sci.electronics.repair, rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just
about everyone has left the room for good, except the spammers of
course...

Just block g-mail to get rid of most of it. Those private individuals
silly enough to use it will soon get the message.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

"Arfa Daily" writes:

[...]

Agreed.

Forums with fancy fluffy graphics come and go and only serve to fragment
the cummunity. I don't think there is no single one that has the same
extebt if experience as the S.E. newsgroups. There are only so many hours
int he day and to start reading and posting to multiple forums is simply
a poor use of limited resources.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
petrus bitbyter petrus bitbyter is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" schreef in bericht
Mark Zacharias wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of
sci.electronics.repair, rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just
about everyone has left the room for good, except the spammers of
course...

Just block g-mail to get rid of most of it. Those private individuals
silly enough to use it will soon get the message.

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I blocked the Googles already though I sometimes have to use the Google
groups to find the postings my providers newsservers have missed. Of course
I complained about that but the newsservers are "only experimental services"
without any guarantee. I dislike to pay extra for newsserver only services
and so far I did not find a good free newsserver. Anyone else did?

petrus bitbyter

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

petrus bitbyter wrote:
I blocked the Googles already though I sometimes have to use the
Google groups to find the postings my providers newsservers have
missed. Of course I complained about that but the newsservers are
"only experimental services" without any guarantee. I dislike to pay
extra for newsserver only services and so far I did not find a good
free newsserver. Anyone else did?

Many people have commented positively about Mozarella which
has changed its name to: http://www.eternal-september.org/
It appears to be a reliable free service.

Nearly free is individual.net which is operated by the Free University
in Berlin. It costs 10 Euro per year and I find it to be completely
reliable. (No binaries, only text-based newsgroups)

NNTP (news) is not a handshaking, guaranteed service like
SMTP (email), so nobody can guarantee that every message
gets posted on every server. It is a peer-to-peer, store-n-
forward, best-effort kind of thing.

Complaining about the death of Usenet is an annual summer sport.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ray L. Volts Ray L. Volts is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark Zacharias wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of
sci.electronics.repair, rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just
about everyone has left the room for good, except the spammers of
course...

Just block g-mail to get rid of most of it. Those private individuals
silly enough to use it will soon get the message.

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

Well, I guess I'm blocked, too, so Dave probably won't see this, but
googlegroups can be dropped w/o dropping the whole of gmail. NewsProxy
and nfilter work quite well for doing exactly this. I've not been
seeing spam from gmail sources.

Gmail offers a nice set of features and perfect functionality with
T-bird -- compared to yahoo (blasted negative vibes AGAIN!), live.com,
etc. I don't think it's silly at all to use something that works so
well for free and lets the user keep his/her ISP email address private.

That being said, are a good alternative. Would it really be that
difficult for NG users to find one another after the move to forums? I
think not, so the question is why NOT leave the NG's to the spammers?

Advantages I see with forums a

1) user registration prior to posting! stop spammers before they
strike; if one bothers registering, moderator/admin deletes them
2) moderators (many can be assigned to handle heavy traffic)
3) easier searches (depends on app)
3) thread retention not dependent upon NG server
4) image hosting (as if there aren't enough photo album servers out there)
5) bios (for those so inclined)
6) private messaging system -- keeps email addresses private

I can think of only two advantages normal NG's have over today's forums:

1) reliability/availability -- if a forum site goes down, it's down for
everyone
2) access/availability in some parts of the world --though I'm not sure
that's as much of an issue as it once was.

I said "normal" above to distinguish text NG's from binaries, where
copyrighted and obscene material can be easily exchanged; a purpose
which can be defeated in a forum.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ray L. Volts Ray L. Volts is offline

Ray L. Volts wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark Zacharias wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of
sci.electronics.repair, rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just
about everyone has left the room for good, except the spammers of
course...

Just block g-mail to get rid of most of it. Those private individuals
silly enough to use it will soon get the message.

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?
(those of you still around here that is...)

Well, I guess I'm blocked, too, so Dave probably won't see this, but
googlegroups can be dropped w/o dropping the whole of gmail. NewsProxy
and nfilter work quite well for doing exactly this. I've not been
seeing spam from gmail sources.

Unless, of course googlegroups necessarily equals gmail, which would
uhm.. explain it rather well. sigh

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:27:53 GMT, "Ray L. Volts"
wrote:

Unless, of course googlegroups necessarily equals gmail, which would
uhm.. explain it rather well. sigh

Probably not. I'd guess that most filters are based around finding
googlegroups in the Message-ID field rather than just gmail.com in the
From line.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Ray L. Volts" wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark Zacharias wrote:
[...]

If a forum goes down, down goes the info. Newsgroups are archieved
by Google and that info can still be obtained. Google calls them Google Groups.
Google groups is a generic name of the google function, but google
makes it appear Usenet is theirs.

I have been in a number of forums. Too hard to keep track of passwords.

I feel priviledges to have recently been booted out of a forum.
One moderator seemed to be of an asshole type. I could care less.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ron[_11_] Ron[_11_] is offline

wrote:

Unless, of course googlegroups necessarily equals gmail, which would
uhm.. explain it rather well. sigh

Probably not. I'd guess that most filters are based around finding
googlegroups in the Message-ID field rather than just gmail.com in the
From line.

Just blocking anything from gmail sorts out an awful lot of spam. It`s
worth losing a few (generally clueless) Google posters to be rid of all
the rubbish.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:57:13 GMT, (GregS)
wrote:

If a forum goes down, down goes the info. Newsgroups are archieved
by Google and that info can still be obtained. Google calls them Google Groups.
Google groups is a generic name of the google function, but google
makes it appear Usenet is theirs.

I have been in a number of forums. Too hard to keep track of passwords.

I feel priviledges to have recently been booted out of a forum.
One moderator seemed to be of an asshole type. I could care less.

Also a good point.

A few years ago, on a motherboard manufacturer's public forum, there
were discussions about one particular model that was experiencing odd
behavior with the latest release of Athlon "Thunderbird" CPUs. Some good
detective work by one member traced the cause to one voltage sense
resistor under the CPU. The fix was just to swap the resistor for
another value. Bit of a PITA (0402 form factor) but do-able.

It was very repeatable. Befo memory test errors, CRC errors moving
large files, etc. After: 100% clean on all tests. Did the fix and I was
a happy camper. "Mr Athlon" (the good detective) was a hero.

Except, not to the manufacturer. They apparently didn't like having the
problem pointed out and booted Mr Athlon off the forum and deleted the
affected threads.

For all the spammage and flames (and sock-puppets) there are some real
advantages to usenet's anarchy.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ken Layton Ken Layton is offline

I use the free "Trollkiller" program to eliminate the spam:

http://www.source9.com/trollkiller.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mark Zacharias wrote:
[...]

The main advantage is that usenet is for grownups, who don't need to be
moderated by some failed wannabe police officer. 'Problems' are usually
sorted by short-lived flame wars, that can be a lot of fun (unless you're on
the receiving end) which is the whole point. If enough 'sensible' opinions
are levelled against you, and you are made to look a dope, most trouble
makers will slope back off quietly on their own, without any need for
banning.

The way it is, is the way it is, and has been, pretty much unchanged, for a
very long time. I for one find forums very tedious, and often very difficult
to navigate. Finding your way back to a thread a few days later, can be a
very frustrating process. Email addresses on usenet are not really an issue.
You just keep a separate one for usenet activity, and change it if becomes a
problem. Although I have never bothered, I think you can even have a
completely invalid return address, although I'm sure that there are very
clever usenet people who could trace you back to a valid address anyway.

As for bios, I'm not the slightest bit interested in seeing a picture of
someone, or knowing anything of their personal details (as they would have
you know them). I'm not looking to date anyone, so such details are
irrelevant to me in the normal course of things. If anyone is desperately
interested to know what I do, or how long I've been doing it, or what gender
I am, or where I live near, they ask, and I tell.

If I want to talk to someone privately, I use "Reply" instead of "Reply
Group", and if there's not a valid address to do that, I just post in the
thread and ask them to contact me direct off-group. Personally, for all of
this sort of thing, give me usenet newsgroups over web-based forums, any day
of the week.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:01:46 -0500, "Mark Zacharias"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of sci.electronics.repair,
rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just about everyone has left the
room for good, except the spammers of course...

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

Mark Z.

One advantage of private forums is that many have a file area where
you can upload/download schematics, manuals, photos, etc.

That said, I haven't found one which isn't annoying to use. One
popular one appears to be http://www.fixya.com/. However, most of the
questions are from end users and are along the lines of "where is the
fuse?" or "my power button doesn't work, what do I do now?". The techs
that respond to these questions are rewarded monetarily, so there is a
disincentive to release income-generating information to the public.
For example, a tech may tell you to that error code Enn points to a
faulty water pump in a washer, but he will not upload the service
manual that enables you to find this out for yourself.

I use http://www.eserviceinfo.com/ for uploading service manuals, but
I haven't participated in any of the forums.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 8/11/2009 8:28 AM Rich Webb spake thus:

For all the spammage and flames (and sock-puppets) there are some real
advantages to usenet's anarchy.

Of the three things you listed, only the first is a significant problem,
at least in the two newsgroups this is posted to.

Myself, I just ignore spam. Easy, requires no configuration or programming.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
Myself, I just ignore spam. Easy, requires no configuration or
programming.

Used to annoy more when you had to pay to download it.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Not so much leaving as wanting to hear more from the techs. Haven't had much
luck filtering the spam using Windoze Mail, which along with OE previously,
has all my old postings and others in the various message folders.

I can visually scan the list of messages in a given newsgroup and filter
accordingly, the trouble is there just aren't many relevant posts any more.
Often I'll see fifty spam posts along with one or two legitimate posts which
mostly don't even relate to my areas of interest. So many of our best seem
to have left the room for good.

Once upon a time I might make several posts in any given day which might
have some relevance or actually help someone. I was typing away so much my
wife almost thought I was fooling around! Nowadays it's down to about one or
two posts per week tops.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Dori Dori is offline

GregS wrote:
In article , "Ray L. Volts" wrote:

If a forum goes down, down goes the info. Newsgroups are archieved
by Google and that info can still be obtained.

Not really. Google even screwed that up like the screwed up everything else.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
WangoTango WangoTango is offline

In article ,
says...
"WangoTango" wrote ...
says...
GregS wrote:
"Ray L. Volts"wrote:
If a forum goes down, down goes the info. Newsgroups are archieved
by Google and that info can still be obtained.

Not really. Google even screwed that up like the screwed up everything
else.

The biggest problem with Google Groups, is that they are the source of
most (90+%) of the USENET spam. I filter ALL traffic from them and BAM
no more spammed groups. It means that I don't get to see legitimate
posts from GG, but that is a small price to pay for not have to dig
through the crap. Besides, a REAL newsgroup reader is either free, or
very cheap, why go through that crappy interface to begin with. You can
search the archives without posting from there.

At least when the archive/search functionality is working.
In my last several attempts, the archive and/or archive search
has been broken and completely unusable.

Google started out as the hero for taking over the DejaNews
Usenet archives. But they have managed to run it completely
into the ground and they are now the #1 villan of Usenet. :-((

I agree, the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't
drop the USENET service all together. They may still archive posts, but
I'm sure the constant stream of spamming complaints will eventually take
it toll.

I still have a couple of GG alerts set up, they seem to do well, but how
would I know if they were broken?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Bob Larter Bob Larter is offline

WangoTango wrote:
I agree, the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't
drop the USENET service all together. They may still archive posts, but
I'm sure the constant stream of spamming complaints will eventually take
it toll.

Google just ignore complaints.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
JeffM JeffM is offline

WangoTango wrote:
Google [Groups] just ignore complaints.

Oh, no doubt, but someone has to do the ignoring and eventually
that will get old too. Just the energy needed to wade through
and delete the complaints will eventually take a toll
and I doubt Google will hang in there for the long haul.

Again: Google invest ZERO effort in this.
The current complaint system is completely automated
and has been unchanged FOR YEARS.

Your complaints to Google have NO useful effect.[1]
As soon as the automated system cancels an account,
the spammer will start using a new account.

If he doesn't have a bunch of accounts already,
he can use THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS HE'S BEEN USING
to open a new Google account.

GOOGLE DOESN'T CARE.
..
..
[1] In fact, they are **detrimental**
because when the spammer starts using a new identity
it just adds an addition burden to those filtering on usernames.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , JeffM wrote:
WangoTango wrote:
[...]

I'll bet if Google starts seeing anti Google web pages, something
will happen. They are out there !!

It took a while before people started using Google. I started telling people about
the search engine in 1999 saying it was the best when Hotbot was #1
and I liked Infoseek for searching companies.

These web pages can be embarassing looking at the Wayback machine.
Oh here is the first Google in 1998....
http://web.archive.org/web/199811111...://google.com/

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
JeffM JeffM is offline

rec.audio.tech re-added to TO line.
msg wrote:
I liked northernlights.com when altavista declined in usefulness;
then northernlights took [their] engine private (pay)
about the time that google gained in popularity.

No one has every had the powerful syntax Google Web Search has
(wildcards; Boolean OR, NOT; intitle; inurl; filetype; etc.).

Gmail proves that if you get the right someone
in charge of a Google project, then the spam issue
(WRT the users of that service) becomes moot.

The problem with Google Groups
is that the guy in charge has always been clueless.
(The users who consume/read the service get even more abuse
than those using real newsreaders.)
I get the feeling GG is where Google sends their retards/rejects.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

msg wrote:
I liked northernlights.com when altavista declined in usefulness;
then northernlights took [their] engine private (pay)
about the time that google gained in popularity.

No one has every had the powerful syntax Google Web Search has
(wildcards; Boolean OR, NOT; intitle; inurl; filetype; etc.).

But it sure would be nice to be able to, e.g., search for discussion on
a specific Perl module such as CAD:rawing without being presented with
umpteen hundred-thousand references to "cad drawing" as well. AFAIK,
only a very limited set of punctuation is preserved in Google's searches
and there is *no* way to escape or quote the text that preserves the
colons as part of the search. #%$#$%#!

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
JeffM JeffM is offline

No one has [ever] had the powerful syntax Google Web Search has

Rich Webb wrote:
But it sure would be nice to be able to, e.g., search for discussion
on a specific Perl module such as CAD:rawing without being
presented with umpteen hundred-thousand references to
"cad drawing" as well. AFAIK, only a very limited set of punctuation
is preserved in Google's searches and there is *no* way
to escape or quote the text that preserves the colons
as part of the search. #%$#$%#!

Yeah. I always like when someone says
that Google has the best and brightest.
There are so many examples where you'd think
the class whiz should be able to figure this one out.

::The problem with Google Groups
::is that the guy in charge has always been clueless.
:The users who consume/read the service get even more abuse
::than those using real newsreaders.)
::I get the feeling GG is where Google sends their retards/rejects.
::
You'd also think Google Groups would have figured out
a Hamster/nFilter mechanism for their own users.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

I don't have any recommendations for online forums or other groups.

I recently began revisiting SER because another newsgroup I'd been reading
is actually experiencing a slow miserable death, with the cooperation and
participation of the formerly-consciencious members.

Spam doesn't mark the ruination of a newsgroup, since spam can be easily
deleted, ignored and/or filtered with a proper news reader.

When the majority of the posts drift off topic into something as stupid as
misguided opinions about political figures, the newsgroup really does go
into a death spiral.

I immediately noticed that many of the SER participants of about 10 years
ago were no longer posting in SER.
The repair industry isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. Many
servicers began looking for other technical occupational positions years
ago, when the huge influx of cheap throw-away goods began to flood most
markets.

Usenet newsgroups typically have a fairly high turnover of temporary users
(and many lurkers that rarely, or never post messages), but the loss of the
helpful, experienced base members, and the shortage of knowlegable new
replacement members, really has had a serious impact on SER.

There appear to be a lot of online forums, which many may favor, since they
are generally moderated. Moderation eliminates spam and off topic
zealots/hotheads that are content to just abuse any forum for their own
agenda.
I've participated in a couple of online forums, but they do have some
limitations, such as searching archived articles/posts.
Also, some online forums are primarily marketing enterprises, with
advertising and other annoying features.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
I used to spend a lot of time perusing the likes of sci.electronics.repair,
rec.audio.tech, etc but anymore it seems just about everyone has left the
room for good, except the spammers of course...

Any good electronics repair forums you guys like?

(those of you still around here that is...)

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Rich Webb wrote:
[...]

They could do a lot to eliminate spam by limiting the number of
messages that can be posted from a single IP address in a 24 hour
period.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not at all sure that I agree with you that S.E.R. has lost a lot of
regular posters. I've been on here for quite a lot of years - maybe not
quite 10, but probably not far off - and most of the experienced posters
that were on here when I first jumped in, are still around now. For sure
some come and go, and there is always a 'quiet' time in the summer, but for
the most part, the pool of expertise is still here. And as to the repair
trade having changed, yes, it has somewhat, but only in as much as the
challenges have changed, and many of the old valve (tube) swappers and
polishers, have fallen by the wayside. There is still plenty of stuff in the
market to be repaired, despite the Chinese throw aways. It's just that there
are now fewer high street places left to do the work. Everyone said the
trade was dead when high reliability Japanese kit first started flooding the
market, but those of us who rolled with it, and took the time and trouble to
get to grips with their innovative designs, are still here, and still doing
the job, and still advising both the amateurs, and professionals of
different electrical and electronic disciplines, who come on S.E.R. to ask
for that help.

As you say, the spam is easily filtered - but only if you know how. A lot of
advice has been given on here as to how to do this, but for anyone who is
just a 'casual' computer user, I could imagine that it might be a bit
daunting to set up, especially where a separate program is being suggested
to do the job.

Although I use Xnews for some of my usenet stuff, I admit that I just use
the newsreader built into OE for text groups like this, and operate via the
news server provided by my ISP. I know many believe anything put out by MS
to be the devil's work, and especially their OE newsreader, but it is
perfectly adequate for reading and posting on groups such as S.E.R., and
above all, it is *very* simple to set up and maintain filters, using its
inbuilt functionality.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote ...
Although I use Xnews for some of my usenet stuff, I admit that I just use
the newsreader built into OE for text groups like this, and operate via
the news server provided by my ISP. I know many believe anything put out
by MS to be the devil's work, and especially their OE newsreader, but it
is perfectly adequate for reading and posting on groups such as S.E.R.,
and above all, it is *very* simple to set up and maintain filters, using
its inbuilt functionality.

Hear, Hear. After trying 8-10 of the most popular newsreader client
applications, I concluded that Outlook Express is still the most user-
friendly and straightforward of them all. Hope I will still be able to
run it on Win7. (Bypassing the whole "Vista" quagmire completely.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote ...
Although I use Xnews for some of my usenet stuff, I admit that I just use
the newsreader built into OE for text groups like this, and operate via
the news server provided by my ISP. I know many believe anything put out
by MS to be the devil's work, and especially their OE newsreader, but it
is perfectly adequate for reading and posting on groups such as S.E.R.,
and above all, it is *very* simple to set up and maintain filters, using
its inbuilt functionality.

Hear, Hear. After trying 8-10 of the most popular newsreader client
applications, I concluded that Outlook Express is still the most user-
friendly and straightforward of them all. Hope I will still be able to
run it on Win7. (Bypassing the whole "Vista" quagmire completely.)

My God !! That's the first time anyone's ever agreed with me on that
particular point !

I guess we'll both get pilloried now for being philistines ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I have used OE and now Windows Mail for a number of years and generally like
them, but I still have trouble figuring how to filter spam effectively using
these programs. I don't think they can block by domain - at least I haven't
found that in the options. I've tried deleting by keyword and that doesn't
seem to help either.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:39:41 -0500, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Use NewsProxy. It sits between your newsreader and the NNTP server and
filters at source. Your newsreader doesn't need to download posts to
examine them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

By "block by domain" do you mean being able to reject anything that comes
from (say) 'gmail.com' or 'googlemail.com' ?

If so, then it's tools - message rules - news and then the rule
stating "where the from line contains (name of the domain or any poster you
want to block)" and the action is set to 'delete'.

When you then enter the newsgroup, and O.E. does its catchup, it will delete
any messages that fall within the rules that you have set up, before they
are ever displayed. Not quite as efficient as Don's method of blocking them
before they ever come down to your machine, but easy to do, and doesn't
involve having any third party proxy software in play.

Arfa

Spiral shield coverage -- how much is enough? [email protected] Tech 2 December 24th 05 05:33 PM
Arced Positional Error of stylus tracking a spiral groove relative to absolute path in linear-motion lathe Jim Gregory Pro Audio 26 May 23rd 05 02:50 PM
Only death is sure nedelec General 1 March 21st 05 10:15 PM
The Death of Vinyl? Marc Phillips Audio Opinions 1 August 11th 03 11:38 PM