skibum

Default Center Channel in Console: good or bad for the sound stage?

Hi Folks,

I was hoping to get some feedback/opinions on installing a center
channel in the console. Will this improve or ruin the sound stage?
After all the center channel is a huge in home theatre!

I thought that if done properly it would help since it would reduce
the distance difference between the left and the right channel.

I was thinking of using a single 4" speaker. Or should I use a 4" two
way? The centre channel would be a combination of the left and right
channel. Any suggestion on how the bypass filters should be set?

best regards,
Mark

Scott Gardner

A center-channel speaker can sound quite good, if it's installed
correctly, AND used in conjuction with a center-channel processor.
The way the processor usually works is by analyzing the left and right
channels, looking for information that is the same in both channels.
This information is routed to the center channel. This way, the left
speaker is only playing information that's unique to the left channel,
and the right speaker is only playing information that's unique to the
right channel. The end result is that the soundstage is
better-anchored in the middle, and the stereo separation is improved.
A center channel makes the biggest difference when your speakers are
mounted high in the dash, since without a center channel, sounds that
are supposed to come from dead center can often be pulled to the left,
because the left speaker is usually significantly closer to the
driver's ears than the right speaker. Using kick-panel speakers can
minimize this path-length difference, but you often get a lowered
soundstage as a result. A center-channel speaker can often be the
best solution, because it actually places the center information in
the center of the soundstage, rather than relying on psychoacoustic
"tricks" to fool your brain into thinking the sound is coming from the
middle.

For the best results, the center-channel speaker should be identical
to the left and right speakers, and fed with an equivalent amount of
power.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:50:40 GMT, "ReEfErMaDnEsS"
wrote:

how good does music sound in home theater mode?

kaka, that's how good, especially if your head unit doesn't have a surround
sound processor

"skibum" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Folks,

I was hoping to get some feedback/opinions on installing a center
channel in the console. Will this improve or ruin the sound stage?
After all the center channel is a huge in home theatre!

I thought that if done properly it would help since it would reduce
the distance difference between the left and the right channel.

I was thinking of using a single 4" speaker. Or should I use a 4" two
way? The centre channel would be a combination of the left and right
channel. Any suggestion on how the bypass filters should be set?

best regards,
Mark

skibum

Thanks for the info, Scott,

After some serious searching, I'm thinking of going for a Pioneer
DVH-5000MP DVD HU and the DEQ-P7000 DSP. Now this would really be
kick-ass if HU could play MP3's off of the DVD.

Mark

wrote:

how good does music sound in home theater mode?

kaka, that's how good, especially if your head unit doesn't have a surround
sound processor

"skibum" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Folks,

I was hoping to get some feedback/opinions on installing a center
channel in the console. Will this improve or ruin the sound stage?
After all the center channel is a huge in home theatre!

I thought that if done properly it would help since it would reduce
the distance difference between the left and the right channel.

I was thinking of using a single 4" speaker. Or should I use a 4" two
way? The centre channel would be a combination of the left and right
channel. Any suggestion on how the bypass filters should be set?

best regards,
Mark

Budgetaudio

I don't know, is there any car DVD head unit that will play MP3s on DVD. I
haven't found any yet, I guess the technology hasn't made it's way into car
audio yet, or only a few units?

Troy
carbudgetaudio.com

BrianQ

skibum wrote in
:

I thought that if done properly it would help since it would reduce
the distance difference between the left and the right channel.

By all means check out the CDT UP-Stage system if you get the chance.
Without a center speaker, it succeeds in bringing the performance front and
center. They have full descriptions of their website, as well as reviews.