Larry Durst

Default 15" subwoofer question

Was wondering what are some great 15 inch sub's that are good for low's.
I'm not too up to date on all of the spec's and what they mean so any info
would help a great deal. Money isn't really a key factor but I dont want to
spend a billion dollars just on a sub ya know, I need some money for an amp
as well hehe. I hear Rockford Fosgate's and Kicker subwoofer's are pretty
good. I'm headin to best buy sometime to listen to some but any info
welcome.... thx

LaRrY

--
You make fun of what you are really afraid of... and thats us......

2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo by Hennessey Performance Engineering
( www.HennesseyPerformance.com )

Power Output: 900 - 1300 hp

Tested Acceleration: 0-60 in 1.85 sec., 1/4 mile in 8.93 sec. @ 150+ mph
(AND that's only with the optional auto transmission and drag tires).

Larry Durst

Just adding... I was looking to get around 3 15"s... would this make me have
2 amps and more work? I like setting up the stereo and everything but if
it's gonna start costing me then I dunno. Was wondering also what would the
best kind of box and set up would be for 15's... thankz

LaRrY

--
You make fun of what you are really afraid of... and thats us......

2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo by Hennessey Performance Engineering
( www.HennesseyPerformance.com )

Power Output: 900 - 1300 hp

Tested Acceleration: 0-60 in 1.85 sec., 1/4 mile in 8.93 sec. @ 150+ mph
(AND that's only with the optional auto transmission and drag tires).

"Larry Durst" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Larry Durst wrote
Was wondering what are some great 15 inch sub's that are good for low's.
I'm not too up to date on all of the spec's and what they mean so any info
would help a great deal. Money isn't really a key factor but I dont want

spend a billion dollars just on a sub ya know, I need some money for an

amp
as well hehe. I hear Rockford Fosgate's and Kicker subwoofer's are pretty
good. I'm headin to best buy sometime to listen to some but any info
welcome.... thx

Need some more information.

1) Are you doing the install yourself?
2) How much room do you have? What vehicle?
3) What are your goals ... sound quality? SPL? esthetically pleasing? all of
the above?
4) Would a reasonable price range be something like US$2000 - $5000
(includes amp and wiring)?
5) What is the rest of your system comprised of?

RF and Kicker are good, but you can get better. The question is ... do you
need to get better?

Do you have any car audio shops around? They will give you a better
selection of product, especially high end equipment.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

DJ TecThreat

Well what are you trying to achieve? i have 3 15"s in my truck and i cant
even turn the amps up half way... i've actually blown out my back windows..

My 15"s are JL Audio 15W3

DJ TecThreat

"Larry Durst" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Larry Durst wrote
Just adding... I was looking to get around 3 15"s... would this make me

have
2 amps and more work?

Not necessarily, but that is a loaded question. It depends on what speakers
you get and what goals you have for the system.

I like setting up the stereo and everything but if
it's gonna start costing me then I dunno.

Well, that answers question one :-) What it ends up costing is entirely up
to you.

Was wondering also what would the
best kind of box and set up would be for 15's... thankz

Depends on the speaker. Some are designed for sealed (easiest to build),
others for ported (more difficult), and if you have scads of room there is
always bandpass (even more difficult). Then you can get interesting with it
.... isobaric, aperiodic and such (but these require a fair amount of theory
knowledge to design properly)

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

sanitarium

Comsider these before going with the main stream stuff. All are well
below a billion.

Digital designs
Adire audio, Brahma
Image Dynamics, ID Max
Treo
Resonant engineering, XXX
If youre on a budget, Pyramid Hyper pros are good.

Do a search on the tempro.com forum

Garrett

Larry Durst wrote:
Was wondering what are some great 15 inch sub's that are good for low's.
I'm not too up to date on all of the spec's and what they mean so any info
would help a great deal. Money isn't really a key factor but I dont want to
spend a billion dollars just on a sub ya know, I need some money for an amp
as well hehe. I hear Rockford Fosgate's and Kicker subwoofer's are pretty
good. I'm headin to best buy sometime to listen to some but any info
welcome.... thx

LaRrY

Larry Durst

I got a camaro so room is pretty much open because in the back there is
alot. I'm installing myself but I know people that would help me with alot
of experience.
--sound quality? SPL? esthetically pleasing? all of
the above? - - - the only thing in understood was sound quality lol... I
want clear, strong, deep and low bass that will rattle my house as I am in
the driveway. Pounding. Price is no option but I would like to stay clear
of over a Thousand or that at the most.

--

Larry Durst wrote:
Was wondering what are some great 15 inch sub's that are good for low's.
I'm not too up to date on all of the spec's and what they mean so any

info
would help a great deal. Money isn't really a key factor but I dont

want to
spend a billion dollars just on a sub ya know, I need some money for an

amp
as well hehe. I hear Rockford Fosgate's and Kicker subwoofer's are

pretty
good. I'm headin to best buy sometime to listen to some but any info
welcome.... thx

LaRrY

DJ TecThreat

2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo

71' Chevy Malibu with a Chevy 454 Big block and turbo tranny.

Nuff said.

DJ TecThreat

DJ TecThreat

not sure yet.. still finishing up the interior and thinking out the
stereo.... i wasnt comparing it to your ride there becuase i'm not building
a race car, per se.. just making a mustle car to show off.

This car is kind of a father/son thing becuase my dad had one when he was
younger so its kind of my turn to have one.. so we bought a junk one that
had been mutilated and we've been working on it for a while now.. we just
put in the engine not maybe 3 weeks ago... everything is hooked up and
tuned. now just working on the intererior..

Will let ya know on the acceleration and 1/4 stats.

DJ TecThreat

"Larry Durst" wrote in message
What's the acceleration and quarter mile on that 71 chevy malibu?

--
You make fun of what you are really afraid of... and thats us......

2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo by Hennessey Performance

Engineering
( www.HennesseyPerformance.com )

Power Output: 900 - 1300 hp

Tested Acceleration: 0-60 in 1.85 sec., 1/4 mile in 8.93 sec. @ 150+ mph
(AND that's only with the optional auto transmission and drag tires).

"DJ TecThreat" beaniATcharter.net wrote in message
2002 Dodge Viper Venom 1000 Twin Turbo

71' Chevy Malibu with a Chevy 454 Big block and turbo tranny.

Nuff said.

DJ TecThreat

tommy

definatly look into resonant eng. !!!!!!!

--
tommy

Larry Durst

That's awsome father and son thing. I was working on a old firebird I
believe it was and the guy we bought it from he swapped out the engine for a
454... oh man that thing hauls ass and sounds incredible... hope ya have fun
and good luck.

[...]

Trudy Snooks

Using my wife's comp at the moment ...

Larry Durst wrote
They have some subs declared as Competition Sub's. Are these any

different
than a I guess standard sub?

Typically a competition series of sub will have higher power handling and
greater excursion. For $1000 you should look at a single sub (or a pair)
with a powerful amp. I don't know if you can get a Cerwin Vega Stroker 15"
and a 1000W amp for only $1000, but that would probably crack the foundation
of your house.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks