Alberto

Default System design - Infinity Basslink + Kappas 42.5i

I am planning my car stereo and to keep it relatively cheap
but good I want to use 2 high quality 4" (infinity Kappa 42.5i) + the
basslink subwoofer.

Even though the 4" are small, infinity quotes their frequency range as
75 Hz - 21 kHZ (+3 - 3db)

SO with the subwoofer that can go to 120 Hz (adjustable crossover), I
should have it covered, right?

Any strong reason to add extra speakers (and spend extra) ? Would I
end up with poor midrange, despite what infinity says?

I am happy with the power handling on the 42.5i - 50W rms, 150 rms
peak, it is a lot for me.

Opinions?
Sanitarium

My infinity 6002i coaxials lack midbass. Sure the spec sheet says they
extend down to 50Hz but IMHO they are weak below 200Hz. To my ears they
lack impact, dynamics and punch relative to the rest of my system. I
knew this before buying them though since I cross them over above 400Hz
It doesn't matter to me. I use them more for midrange/highs
400-20000Hz, and Like them a lot for their ability to project vocal
dynamics. I have 2 pairs of legacy midbasses to pick up fron 50-400Hz.
and a pair of 12" subs for 20-50Hz.

I did an A/B conmparison between the Kappas and 6002is and did not hear
a significant enough difference to justify the Kappas extra dough.

My 6002is will soon be history I am replacing them with image dynamics
HLCDs.

Garrett

Alberto wrote:

I am planning my car stereo and to keep it relatively cheap
but good I want to use 2 high quality 4" (infinity Kappa 42.5i) + the
basslink subwoofer.

Even though the 4" are small, infinity quotes their frequency range as
75 Hz - 21 kHZ (+3 - 3db)

SO with the subwoofer that can go to 120 Hz (adjustable crossover), I
should have it covered, right?

Any strong reason to add extra speakers (and spend extra) ? Would I
end up with poor midrange, despite what infinity says?

I am happy with the power handling on the 42.5i - 50W rms, 150 rms
peak, it is a lot for me.

Opinions?

Sanitarium

One more thing.. IMHO you should listen to them all on the display board
and use your ears to guide you, rather than the brand name. Try and
pick the bassiest 4" speaker you can find, the extra bottom will be well
needed to overcome a moving vehicle's ambient noise.

Garrett

Alberto wrote:

I am planning my car stereo and to keep it relatively cheap
but good I want to use 2 high quality 4" (infinity Kappa 42.5i) + the
basslink subwoofer.

Even though the 4" are small, infinity quotes their frequency range as
75 Hz - 21 kHZ (+3 - 3db)

SO with the subwoofer that can go to 120 Hz (adjustable crossover), I
should have it covered, right?

Any strong reason to add extra speakers (and spend extra) ? Would I
end up with poor midrange, despite what infinity says?

I am happy with the power handling on the 42.5i - 50W rms, 150 rms
peak, it is a lot for me.

Opinions?

Alberto

Thanks Garret, very useful opinions.
Alberto

Alberto wrote:

I am planning my car stereo and to keep it relatively cheap
but good I want to use 2 high quality 4" (infinity Kappa 42.5i) + the
basslink subwoofer.

Even though the 4" are small, infinity quotes their frequency range as
75 Hz - 21 kHZ (+3 - 3db)

SO with the subwoofer that can go to 120 Hz (adjustable crossover), I
should have it covered, right?

Any strong reason to add extra speakers (and spend extra) ? Would I
end up with poor midrange, despite what infinity says?

I am happy with the power handling on the 42.5i - 50W rms, 150 rms
peak, it is a lot for me.

Opinions?

Should we NOT get Chrysler Infinity System ? tigermd99 Car Audio 2 August 18th 03 01:18 AM
Help me design my system Jay Car Audio 1 July 20th 03 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram with Infinity Stereo System m Car Audio 0 July 19th 03 11:19 PM