Keith G

Default 192kbps MP3s on a big sound system?

"Codifus" wrote

It depends on the bitrate. 320k MP3 seems to be generally accepted as CD
quality, 128K is about the equivalent of FM radio. I record FM
broadcasts and make them into 192 MP3s simply because I think the lower
bitrates take too much life out of the music. I don't even bother with
320K, I just keep my files in WAV or AIFF in that case. Takes up lots of
space, I know, but CD-Rs are cheap

Agree entirely (a WAV from the vinyl sounds satisfyingly close to the
original, DACced and Vacced) but there are two problems here - hard disk
space is not yet that cheap or plentiful (I could fill my new 200 Gig HDD
with WAVs in a couple of days) and CDs have got to be the most 'imminently
obsolete' technology on the planet atm.....

Keith G

"tony sayer" wrote

Yep that's it!, lower the rates till they notice. Lets never, ever,
promote better quality sound 'tho, no that would never do!.

The new digital age dawns.

Er, no, it did that 30 years ago........

Never was so much promised and so little delivered!.....

Agreed, but perhaps we judge too soon/harshly - there may be time yet!

The fact that the 'engineers' have only managed to make 'digital recorded
music' sound *worse* so far is probably only some sort of 'glitch' - give a
million chimps a wordprocessor each for a million years and one of them will
turn out the Complete Works Of Shakespeare, eventually (they say).......

Keith G

"vibrations" wrote in message
om...
just my 2cents worth but

vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth.

Not just in clubs and not to mention texture, tone, detail, depth and
imaging.......

i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.

You can flog Joe Public any old crap but you can't make him listen to
it.......

mp3 sounds a little thin for big club tracks - just because something
has the same SPL doesn't mean it has the same 'bounce'

Agreed entirely.

tony sayer

In article , Keith G
writes

"tony sayer" wrote

Yep that's it!, lower the rates till they notice. Lets never, ever,
promote better quality sound 'tho, no that would never do!.

The new digital age dawns.

Er, no, it did that 30 years ago........

No that was the proper better quality digital age i.e. PCM used by the
BBC to improve sound links!....

Never was so much promised and so little delivered!.....

Agreed, but perhaps we judge too soon/harshly - there may be time yet!

The fact that the 'engineers' have only managed to make 'digital recorded
music' sound *worse* so far is probably only some sort of 'glitch' - give a
million chimps a wordprocessor each for a million years and one of them will
turn out the Complete Works Of Shakespeare, eventually (they say).......

Eventually!.....

--
Tony Sayer

TonyP

"Keith G" wrote in message
"vibrations" wrote in message
om...
vinyl still offers the best sound in a club environment, in terms of
impact and depth.

Not just in clubs and not to mention texture, tone, detail, depth and
imaging.......

Agreed, it's best not to mention those things and vinyl in the same breath!

i've seen mp3 dudes drop sets after vinyl ones, and
seen the atmosphere vanish and people leave the floor.

Sure, there a lot more things going on than just the vinyl Vs digital
source.

You can flog Joe Public any old crap but you can't make him listen to
it.......

Agreed, many prefer new crap.

mp3 sounds a little thin for big club tracks - just because something
has the same SPL doesn't mean it has the same 'bounce'

True, nothing like the bounce from a tone arm when the turntable is knocked!

TonyP.

sk8erteck

I agree, the acoustics of a club change dramaticlly when there are 200+
people jumping, screaming, talking, dancing, stripping, and everything else
that goes on. I have a few tracks that sound like crap when the room is
empty, but when I play them at night I can only hear the difference in my
headphones, no one on the floor notices.

Clean music and a good system are always helpful but useless if you dont
work the crowd. None of them are audiophiles, they wont care if your version
of milkshake is 128kbps or CD, as long as they can dance to it.

"citronzx" wrote in message
news

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
In article et,
says...

You all must go to pretty fancy clubs where everyone is quiet and the

music
is played softly enough that you can even understand what the singer is
singing. The acoustics in most clubs combined with the ambient noise

makes
for such a poor listening experience to begin with that I doubt anyone

would
notice the difference between an MP3 and a CD. You might notice a loss

of
bass with some tracks though.

You must go to clubs that have crappy gear. Loud distortion sounds like
loud distortion. You can hear it, just louder. Most of the clubs I

have
been to have sound systems that play clean and loud. So unless you are
really drunk, you can hear the lousy sound.
-------------
Alex

That was pretty much my point, the music's always sounds crappy in a

packed
club. I'm talking about a place where everyone is talking and many are
dancing. Even it the sound system sounds terrific with the place empty,

the
guests will not be able to tell over the ambient noise in a full club.

You
can feel the bass, so you can dance, and you can make out words (if any)

if
you already know the music but that's it. I'm talking about dance music
like: Top 20, R&B, Techno, and maybe some 80's. No one goes to a club for
the quality of the reproduction of the music, you just have to be able to
dance to it.

Ricky W. Hunt

"sk8erteck" wrote in message

Clean music and a good system are always helpful but useless if you dont
work the crowd. None of them are audiophiles, they wont care if your

version
of milkshake is 128kbps or CD, as long as they can dance to it.

You said a mouthful.

Dutch

Every MP3 I have is 128kbps. No one even the DJs that come to my shows don't
know the difference. If you EQ it right and setup the computer right no one
will notice the difference at all.
Besides most of the professional drinkers are so drunk by 9PM that they
wouldn't notice if their seat was on fire let alone a minor musical
fluctuation.

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message
"sk8erteck" wrote in message

Clean music and a good system are always helpful but useless if you dont
work the crowd. None of them are audiophiles, they wont care if your

version
of milkshake is 128kbps or CD, as long as they can dance to it.

You said a mouthful.

Tim S Kemp

Dutch wrote:
Every MP3 I have is 128kbps. No one even the DJs that come to my
shows don't know the difference. If you EQ it right and setup the
computer right no one will notice the difference at all.
Besides most of the professional drinkers are so drunk by 9PM that
they wouldn't notice if their seat was on fire let alone a minor
musical fluctuation.

You must have a crap sound system. And EQ cannot fix anything.

Tim S Kemp

Dutch wrote:
Every MP3 I have is 128kbps. No one even the DJs that come to my
shows don't know the difference. If you EQ it right and setup the
computer right no one will notice the difference at all.
Besides most of the professional drinkers are so drunk by 9PM that
they wouldn't notice if their seat was on fire let alone a minor
musical fluctuation.

You must have a crap sound system. And EQ cannot fix anything.

Steely Dan The Absolute Sound Steven Sullivan High End Audio 585 August 26th 04 02:17 AM
Opinions on a sound system Car Audio 3 July 5th 04 06:14 PM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 1/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 07:54 AM
Sound, Music, Balance Robert Trosper High End Audio 1 November 21st 03 05:09 AM
Suggestions for new/replacement Rink sound system Robert Bell Pro Audio 6 September 2nd 03 02:11 AM